My first thread. Titor and Israel.

Anonynez

John used the C204. There was also the C206, which means they were obviously improving the technology. If the C206 was a bigger, better, more accurate machine (due to the use of more accurate Cesium Atomic Clocks), it is conceivable to think that they were constantly working on ways to improve even that machine. Then possibly another. Were they developing a C207? C208? C209? This is just the order of things. Cars are made faster and more fuel efficient each month. Personal computers become smaller, and cheaper, yet more powerful by the day. Smartphones and tablets can now sync to not only each other, but your home and car. At one time these things were not possible. Engineering made them happen.

My point is this: I doubt they stopped at the C206. Why would they? Is it possible that they created other machines that were able to pinpoint the divergence down to 100,000th of a percent? Even more? Its just a question. And if so would they have attempted to retrieve travelers that had potentially gotten lost? Or would they be considered a liability? Was John simply a rat in a maze? His mission would suggest not. What would be the point of the mission if there was no probability of bringing him back? Remember, he needed the 5100 for the UNIX 2038 bug. If the purpose was to avoid some calamity because of that bug, wouldnt they want to retrieve whom they sent traversing into parallel world lines? What if they have the ability to do so, but refused to put that much power into the hands of one soldier that could potentially go rogue. The scenario being: "We'll send you with limited capability to achieve the mission. Once its successful we'll pull you back in." The question then becomes: How would they know the mission was successful? I would assume it could possibly be determined by whether or not the John returned. If he didnt, then maybe they just sent another, then another, then another thus resulting in multiple Johns on multiple worldlines with multiple divergences all trying to succeed at one quest, yet inadvertently running into one another and thwarting missions success.

Round and round we go, right. My thoughts are speculation. This is fun for me. Simple what ifs.

Anonynez

John used the C204. There was also the C206, which means they were obviously improving the technology. If the C206 was a bigger, better, more accurate machine (due to the use of more accurate Cesium Atomic Clocks), it is conceivable to think that they were constantly working on ways to improve even that machine. Then possibly another. Were they developing a C207? C208? C209? This is just the order of things. Cars are made faster and more fuel efficient each month. Personal computers become smaller, and cheaper, yet more powerful by the day. Smartphones and tablets can now sync to not only each other, but your home and car. At one time these things were not possible. Engineering made them happen.

My point is this: I doubt they stopped at the C206. Why would they? Is it possible that they created other machines that were able to pinpoint the divergence down to 100,000th of a percent? Even more? Its just a question. And if so would they have attempted to retrieve travelers that had potentially gotten lost? Or would they be considered a liability? Was John simply a rat in a maze? His mission would suggest not. What would be the point of the mission if there was no probability of bringing him back? Remember, he needed the 5100 for the UNIX 2038 bug. If the purpose was to avoid some calamity because of that bug, wouldnt they want to retrieve whom they sent traversing into parallel world lines? What if they have the ability to do so, but refused to put that much power into the hands of one soldier that could potentially go rogue. The scenario being: "We'll send you with limited capability to achieve the mission. Once its successful we'll pull you back in." The question then becomes: How would they know the mission was successful? I would assume it could possibly be determined by whether or not the John returned. If he didnt, then maybe they just sent another, then another, then another thus resulting in multiple Johns on multiple worldlines with multiple divergences all trying to succeed at one quest, yet inadvertently running into one another and thwarting missions success.

Round and round we go, right. My thoughts are speculation. This is fun for me. Simple what ifs.

...The question then becomes: How would they know the mission was successful?

An excellent question which bears further analysis.

I posed this question several months ago. How does the time travel program measure success? The answer to this question will lead to some very interesting insights into the time travel program.

TR

Sliders

I just wanted to add that I don't think John was the only one they sent back to get a 5100.

Sliders

Hope you guys get a good laugh out f this, I could not pull up the article but here is the video that talks about it:

Samstwitch

Here's the original article. However, note the date, 1 April 2010. Read the content of the article...it looks like an April Fool's joke. The name "Eloi" was the name of the monsters that lived underground in the movie, "The Time Machine" starring Rod Taylor. Perhaps the basics of the story are true, and they put in a bunch of bogus information so readers would laugh it off! Anything is possible these days. The truth is out there, but it's hard to find! :rolleyes:

Man arrested at Large Hadron Collider claims he's from the future

A would-be saboteur arrested today at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland made the bizarre claim that he was from the future. Eloi Cole, a strangely dressed young man, said that he had travelled back in time to prevent the LHC from destroying the world.

The LHC successfully collided particles at record force earlier this week, a milestone Mr Cole was attempting to disrupt by stopping supplies of Mountain Dew to the experiment's vending machines. He also claimed responsibility for the infamous baguette sabotage in November last year.

Mr Cole was seized by Swiss police after CERN security guards spotted him rooting around in bins. He explained that he was looking for fuel for his 'time machine power unit', a device that resembled a kitchen blender.

Police said Mr Cole, who was wearing a bow tie and rather too much tweed for his age, would not reveal his country of origin. "Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."

This isn't the first time time-travel has been blamed for mishaps at the LHC. Last year, the Japanese physicist Masao Ninomiya and Danish string-theory pioneer Holger Bech Nielsen put forward the hypothesis that the Higgs boson was so "abhorrent" that it somehow caused a ripple in time that prevented its own discovery.

Professor Brian Cox, a CERN physicist and full-time rock'n'roll TV scientist, was sympathetic to Mr Cole. "Bless him, he sounds harmless enough. At least he didn't mention bloody black holes."

Mr Cole was taken to a secure mental health facility in Geneva but later disappeared from his cell. Police are baffled, but not that bothered.

Sliders

Here's the original article. However, note the date, 1 April 2010. Read the content of the article...it looks like an April Fool's joke. The name "Eloi" was the name of the monsters that lived underground in the movie, "The Time Machine" starring Rod Taylor. Perhaps the basics of the story are true, and they put in a bunch of bogus information so readers would laugh it off! Anything is possible these days. The truth is out there, but it's hard to find! :rolleyes:

Man arrested at Large Hadron Collider claims he's from the future

A would-be saboteur arrested today at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland made the bizarre claim that he was from the future. Eloi Cole, a strangely dressed young man, said that he had travelled back in time to prevent the LHC from destroying the world.

The LHC successfully collided particles at record force earlier this week, a milestone Mr Cole was attempting to disrupt by stopping supplies of Mountain Dew to the experiment's vending machines. He also claimed responsibility for the infamous baguette sabotage in November last year.

Mr Cole was seized by Swiss police after CERN security guards spotted him rooting around in bins. He explained that he was looking for fuel for his 'time machine power unit', a device that resembled a kitchen blender.

Police said Mr Cole, who was wearing a bow tie and rather too much tweed for his age, would not reveal his country of origin. "Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."

This isn't the first time time-travel has been blamed for mishaps at the LHC. Last year, the Japanese physicist Masao Ninomiya and Danish string-theory pioneer Holger Bech Nielsen put forward the hypothesis that the Higgs boson was so "abhorrent" that it somehow caused a ripple in time that prevented its own discovery.

Professor Brian Cox, a CERN physicist and full-time rock'n'roll TV scientist, was sympathetic to Mr Cole. "Bless him, he sounds harmless enough. At least he didn't mention bloody black holes."

Mr Cole was taken to a secure mental health facility in Geneva but later disappeared from his cell. Police are baffled, but not that bothered.
Thanks for the article, interesting read it what gets me is that they have had to shut down LHC a few times in the past...

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Although this is an old article I'm sure we've all seen before. I just had to say I enjoyed a bit of humor in seeing Mr Cole was wearing a BOW TIE. Maybe that is a necessary requirement to bolster a claim for being a time traveler. I'll be sure to put one on when I fire up my time machine.