No. 1 Pop Singles Exceeding 3 Minutes As Early As 1958

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
I recently saw a posting made by @TimeFlipper about an interesting fact about "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals being the first no. 1 pop hit to exceed a duration of 3 minutes. That song was released in 1964. However, this stuff in history is about to change with Elvis Presley recording a no. 1 hit exceeding 3 minutes back further, in 1958 to be exact. After all, Elvis is the King of Rock. The #1 hits that are about to be inserted into history currently have no set name, it will all be a surprise.

As some of you may recall from this post, Elvis Presley and John Lennon: Still Alive, Elvis does not get enrolled in the U.S. Army in 1958, due to family ties from a very early marriage with two kids, and especially, a hotly contested rivalry with Engelbert Humperdinck beginning in the summer of 1957. Engelbert drops two #1 hits in the second half of 1957, one in the summer, and another in the fall. This hit streak (also including top 5 hits that don't reach #1) continues with a #1 hit in the first half of 1958.

With Elvis staying focused on his musical career, instead of going for the Army, he follows up 10 #1 hits dropped prior to 1958 with three in that year alone. The first #1 Elvis hit of 1958 is "Hard Headed Woman". After that song, Elvis's music becomes more rebellious than before starting with a second #1 hit of 1958 featuring heavier guitar and more raucous drumming, forward-looking onto more modern rock. This is not the first #1 to exceed 3 minutes, but the next one is. This third #1 Elvis hit of 1958 easily exceeds 3 minutes (roughly around 3 and a half minutes), and becomes notorious for that as well as continuously forward-looking and rebellious rock and roll.

Elvis scores three chart-toppers in 1959 as well, the first of which is recorded and released after the fatal plane crash of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper. The first chart-topper of that year serves as a distraction from that tragic plane crash. It is even more raucous than any previous Elvis material (and lasts around four minutes long), so much so that it is often cited as the song that started the classic rock format. On many classic rock stations, this is the oldest song in their library that is played regularly, although on many other stations, it is 1954's "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley & The Comets.

1959 concludes with "Big Hunk o' Love" (a version which, compared with the one pre-change of history, is much heavier and lasts a bit over four minutes) and "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" in the fall. (The latter is unchanged, and is led by a cover by Engelbert Humperdinck in the summer of 1959; note: the Elvis Presley version pre-change was recorded and released in 1960 instead of 1959.)

Elvis's further rebelliousness inspires the rise of future rock singers and rock bands. Some of those rock bands include The Mockingbirds from Memphis, TN and The Silver Sharks from New York City in 1959, and The Four Seasons (scoring their first hit (reaches #4) in the spring of 1960, though not scoring their first #1 until 1962 with "Sherry") and The Beach Boys (unchanged with scoring their first charted hit, "Surfin' Safari", in the summer of 1962). The Mockingbirds and The Silver Sharks are my creation I will insert into history, and in comparison with their pre-change of history counterparts, songs by The Four Seasons and The Beach Boys are much harder-edged and quite a bit longer in duration.

TimeFlipper

@Classicalfan626 Sorry mate, i dont have any info from alternative dimension news time to say that you are right about those claims ::LOL::..
There is however a Beach Boys song that went from this dimension into another dimension..I know this is absolutely true as i saw it happen in that great movie Deja Vu..Here is the proof with Denzel Washington in a short video clip :p :LOL:

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@TimeFlipper - I'm not really sure, but I think you missed the point of that post, and I'm sorry I didn't make it clear to you. It is indeed another series of stories/scenarios I made up that I intend on converting from fiction to fact by time traveling and changing history. In a nutshell, once history's changed, it will be recorded history that it was Elvis Presley who broke the 3-minute barrier for #1 hit singles, and he did it with his third (and final) #1 hit of the year 1958.

Do you think I posted such a discussion in the wrong topic? If so, it is within my power to move it elsewhere, since I am a moderator.

@Num7 - If this discussion is inappropriate for this topic, should we move it to the "Time Travel Discussion" forum? Or do you think it should remain here? I think TF was confused. What do you think?

Bullethead21

@TimeFlipper - I'm not really sure, but I think you missed the point of that post, and I'm sorry I didn't make it clear to you. It is indeed another series of stories/scenarios I made up that I intend on converting from fiction to fact by time traveling and changing history. In a nutshell, once history's changed, it will be recorded history that it was Elvis Presley who broke the 3-minute barrier for #1 hit singles, and he did it with his third (and final) #1 hit of the year 1958.

Do you think I posted such a discussion in the wrong topic? If so, it is within my power to move it elsewhere, since I am a moderator.

@Num7 - If this discussion is inappropriate for this topic, should we move it to the "Time Travel Discussion" forum? Or do you think it should remain here? I think TF was confused. What do you think?

I am a bit confused I think......when will you do this or how will we know you did it? Especially if a new time line is created as some theories suggest???

Also, say you did go back in time.........how would change what is number one on the charts?? Are you talking the Billboard charts or what?? Do you have some tie with the record or music industry??

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@Bullethead21:
  1. I have no set timetable on when I will do all of this, but I plan on getting it done relatively soon. I can't answer how you guys will know I did it, since there may or may not be a timeline change.
  2. I will change up the number one spots on the charts through my changes in history, using stuff like alien supercomputers and/or the power of my mind and/or other techniques.
  3. I believe the Billboard Hot 100 came into effect in 1958, and since about then it has been the official singles chart for popular music. So it will be a mixture of number ones on the Billboard Hot 100 and others prior to circa 1958.
  4. No, I have no major ties with the record or music industry. I do, however, have a decent knowledge base for both popular and classical music. And I do sing in a choir. Those are the only musical ties I have right now, as far as I know.