Patriot Act Watch: l and ll

virtualgirl

Re: patriot act watch...l and ll......

Observer, Your right about the cops. I had this posted in another thread but I'll paste it here.

A few months back, my husband had a flat tire so he took it in and had it fixed. He didn't want to mess with the spare so he put in in the back of the van. This was around 11 pm. While on the highway, he was pulled over. There were 3 cops. They searched him, handcuffed him and stuck him in a squad car and started to search the van. He sells body jewelry so he had several cases of it in the van. They kept asking him where he stole it and for receipts which he never carries with him. They finally found some register papers with the jewelry baggies that kind of itemized some of it. They unhandcuffed him and then they said they pulled him over because they thought the tire was a DEAD BODY. What kind of crap is that. For one, who would kill someone and stick the body in the back window. As far as I am concerned, it was an illegal search and outright harassment. He wasn't even breaking any traffic laws. He doesn't look bad. He looks like your average clean cut American boy next door. Look out folks. Next will be your homes!!!

StarLord

I would expect Darkhorse to jump in soon regarding the police thing. It may be quite possible that something was done to make those guys feel uncomfortable which may have caused things to escalate to him being held like that.

Don't forget, these guys in the Highway Patrol get blown away by insane assh@les.
With that in mind, wouldn't you like to be careful? Imagine working in some PigglyWiggly on a register, you ask for ID when a person hands you a Credit Card and then you get blown away. Sure looks different from that side of the coin.

virtualgirl

Trust me Starlord, he wasn't doing anything. Anyway, one of his brothers is a cop. Another is a judge. He's not like that. They were just screwing with him. I hate to say this but there was one thing. He was the only person that was white. I certainly hope that wasn't the reason for the whole thing. We don't live our lives with prejudice and we don't teach it to our children.

Observer

My end note regarding the Highway patrol was a joke (hence the reference to my 110mph driving on the Autobahn...OK, I didn't say how fast I drive, but I really need to un-learn my lead foot method of driving).

I was a civilian Peace Officer prior to my new glamorous career (Kept a straight face when I typed glamorous..excellent). I have a plate and 8 screws permanently in my leg as payment for my troubles. I agree, always err on the side of caution. All it takes is one second. I am lucky, aside from knowing when it is going to snow, I am perfectly 100%. I could have been put in a body bag, and then where would my ex wife and her child support be now? :p

"I would rather be tried by twelve of my peers, than carried by six of my friends"...

Jim

cosmicbrat

Re: America's attempt to make hell on earth...

"Patriot Act"... "Homeland Security"... = the latest evolution of the great Kahn's MO, between it, and to "Hister's SS", only worse... as in "state of the art" evil...

We are in the flow of things... Trouble is that the flow is negative, but we don't now that, and must block knowing all that, it being too horrible to see... so we play "the three monkeys"...

The prolific development of designer drugs, help to blind and numb our fall into oblivion... so when we get there we'll be really really surprised!...

All those silly little imaginings you had over the years, about North America plunging deep into a military hell... were conceiving/birthing-facts, hovering over us as an unfulfilled little dark cloud of impending pure hell... and now it's scratching at our door...

Proof... Do your time travel meditation, in which you cast a path for your prime molecule... and lock yourself into a future minute, and watch it play out as Lord Evil's absolute hell on earth... in which we have dismantled heaven on earth, to use as building materials for hell on earth...
If you have any resemblance of a functional mind, you are sensing it now... in everything human that's happening now...

In Alfred Narayana's hand-written text, he runs the student through a series of lessons designed to depose and transpose a negative future with a pleasant future...
But it will take POWERFUL MINDS to pull it off... which likely means that I must start teaching this stuff to strong minded folks, while I still have breath...

All this talk does nothing, but make the enemy stronger...
Talk can't do anything... Something must do something...

walt willis

Observer is my second name as I tend not to tell others what to do... However, this is not a good time to sit back and just observe.

It is ok to be uninformed or ill informed when you’re young and naive.
After leaving the military in 1969 I thought that it was a good idea to register all guns as a way to catch the bad guys.

Young and stupid me…never understood history and the reason why our founders included article two into the bill of rights.

Try to look back at how all governments tend to want more power over time and will do what ever it takes to acquire that power.

Registration, confiscation, followed by genocide is a well established pattern of every know government in the history of all governments on earth…

Nip it in the bud and save our once great nation from self-destruction.

The cost to ignore history is too high to be repeated for you as well as your family.

Samstwitch

It's about time.

Post 9-11 terror fighting legislation under attack: Patriot Act

In the dozen years that have passed since the Sept. 11 terror attacks, Congress has enacted a series of laws aimed at keeping the country safe. But today, the same measures and mandates that were once put in place for the country’s protection have come under attack.

Hardest hit: the Patriot Act.

On Tuesday, its author, Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wisc., said he supports a bipartisan push to amend the legislation and came out strongly against the Obama administration, which he accuses of manipulating the measure to cover questionable moves recently made by the National Security Agency.

Sensenbrenner says the Patriot Act was written in 2001 to give the president the authority to investigate and prevent terrorist activity. What he says it wasn’t intended for is spying on the phone and Internet records of Americans.

When first written, the Patriot Act significantly loosened restrictions on how law enforcement agencies could gather information, expanded the Treasury’s authority to regulate financial transactions involving foreign individuals and entities and broadened the discretion of law enforcement and immigration authorities in detaining and deporting immigrants suspected of terrorism-related offenses.

The Act also widened the definition of terrorism to include cases of domestic or home-grown terrorism. Critics say that using the Patriot Act has been a way for the administration to rubber stamp spying on its citizens and that the safety checks put in place to prevent abuse have gone unchecked for years.

In 2011, Congress reauthorized the Patriot Act. It did the same for the FISA Amendments Act in December 2012. Both acts allowed the government to continue its extraordinary power more than a decade after the laws were first passed to hunt down those responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks.

In its annual report to Congress, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court said it had gotten 1,789 applications for electronic surveillance. Of those, one application was withdrawn, 40 were approved with edits and the others – all 1,748 of them - were quickly green-lighted.

On Monday, the American Civil Liberties Union filed a motion to the FISC asking for the release of secret court opinions on section 215 of the Patriot Act which authorizes the collection of phone records.

On Tuesday, the ACLU went a step further when it filed a lawsuit against the Obama administration charging that its “dragnet” collection of phone calls exposed by a NSA contractor is illegal. The lawsuits asks that the records be purged and that the government be forced to stop the program.

On Capitol Hill, lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have been lining up for months trying to reign in the government’s power grab.

On the House side, Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., introduced legislation Tuesday that would repeal the broad authority for the use of military force in the war on terror.

The law, known as the Authorization for the Use of Military Force, is a joint resolution that Congress passed on Sept. 14, 2001, authorizing the use of the U.S. Armed Forces against those responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

The resolution gives the president the authority to use all “necessary and appropriate force” against those whom he determined “planned, authorized, committed or aided" the attacks or those who harbored them. President George W. Bush signed the law on Sept. 18, 2001.

Schiff, a member of the House Intelligence committee, wants Congress to repeal the law by the end of 2014 – the time U.S. combat forces are expected to leave Afghanistan.

In March, Florida Rep. Trey Radel introduced a measure that would prohibit the president from using lethal military force against an American citizen located in the U.S.

Around the same time, Rep. Edward Markey introduced the Drone Aircraft Privacy and Transparency Act of 2013, which prohibits many domestic uses of drones.

The topic was also on the mind of Texas Sen. Ted Cruz who introduced legislation that would prohibit the use of drones to kill U.S. citizens living inside the country.

In May, Maine Sen. Angus King Jr., introduced the Targeted Strike Oversight Reform Act of 2013. The act would require an independent analysis of the consideration of the use of targeted lethal force against a particular U.S. person knowingly engaged in acts of international terrorism against the U.S.

Despite the congressional push to reign in the programs, there are some who maintain they are important to keep the country safe and must be kept in place.

Among the most outspoken has been South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham who told Fox News that he supported the mass collection of phone records collected by the NSA.

“I'm glad the NSA is trying to find out what terrorists are up to, overseas and inside the country,” Graham said.