People talking of splitting USA (red-blue map)

Cornelia

We have EC too, but they're different. Our colleges are very tiny: a city like Rome has (more or less) about 15 colleges for the Deputates elections and 8 for the Senate elections. This way, you can be sure whatever party wins, wins the popular vote too.

Unintentional

The US may not actually be that divided...
http://www-personal.umich.edu/%7Emejn/election/
maplinearlarge.png

Allows for intensity of redness or blueness.
cartlinearlarge.png

expands and shrinks each state so each "area" has the same number of people in it.

Darkwolf

You can definatly see where the cities are. Definatly the divide we've heard about. Just it seems that the reds won the election. I'm not so sure thats as over as it seems though.

Timmy G

Thanks for your insightful explanation Unintentional :)

So you see, the EC is very good system. It is better than one vote per state or voting strictly on populations. It is truly a compromise that is designed to promote unity.

To quote myself:
The farmers vote for one guy, college kids for another, liberals for another, etc. So, why does the entire states collective vote have to go to just one candidate in a presidential election?

....and,
So, perhaps to stop or veer this dramatic 'red' and 'blue' split of our country, we need the so called 'electoral votes' to come in numbers represented more equally within each section of the country, not each state. Maybe each county in each state is represented by a 'so called' electoral vote.

Leave the current amount of votes each state has the way it is, thats fine. My argument, simply stated, was why can't the total number of electoral votes from each state be split up to better represent who the people voted for (similar to Nebraska and Maine). To say all votes from one state go to candidate X is seriously flawed in my book, but that's just how I think.

Darkwolf

I agree with you there Timmy, but its up to each state what happens to it's votes. None want to do that beacause they are all afraid of being less relevent to the politicians, and therefore getting fewer pork barrell benifits.

Judge Bean

I think the only way you can keep the EC is to make the delegates free agents to cast votes according to preference. The votes would be anonymous; the delegates would be apportioned according to the parties of the registered voters.

Darkwolf

I think the only way you can keep the EC is to make the delegates free agents to cast votes according to preference. The votes would be anonymous; the delegates would be apportioned according to the parties of the registered voters.

That is how it works now Paul. They technically don't have to vote the way their state does. I'm not aware of any who haven't in the past but have a feeling that we might see just that come December.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by Darkwolf@Nov 12 2004, 09:49 PM

That is how it works now Paul. They technically don't have to vote the way their state does. I'm not aware of any who haven't in the past but have a feeling that we might see just that come December.

I'm sorry, this wasn't clear. I meant that the delegates would be a reflection of the registered voters' ratios. If you get 10 Electors for your State, and your registration is 40% Republican, you get four Electors. The 10% Independent vote gets 1 Elector. If the Democrats lose in your State by 10%, you still get your four Electors and you get to add one. This would mean that the makeup of the EC would reflect both the popular vote and the registration of voters.