present time

sinister

Re: present time

I remember taking a Freud class that brought up an interesting point. We're the only living being that has a concept of 'time'. We have measured years, days, etc. and animals have no concept of this. Freud believed that animals experienced their lives all at once. They can't possibly 'live in the moment' because they have no concept of the 'moment'. However, this does that mean animals can see into the future? That's pretty much where my train of thought ended, anyone have some thoughts?

StarLord

I have to disagree with his nibbness. I have two cats, twin brother & sister Black Siameese. They KNOW when I am due home at the end of the day as they (Mostly it's the Male) are sitting in front of the picture window waiting. If I am late by more than 30 min, they are / he's ticked off and gone else where in the house and when I get inside, I get to hear about being late.

They are also very aware when a treat is due when they see me doing a specific task. Smell is not involved and I am not anywhere near the kitchen.

Had Freud spent more time talking to cats as if you were talking to an adult human, our mental concepts / pictures are 'matched' with verbal sounds / words for them and in time you notice two things. They start to develop strong personalities and will 'talk' to you & you notice that they are not dumb animals.

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Chronodynamic Jim\")</div>
YES

NO

.[/b]

Jim, how do you know what animals can and cannot think about? Have you ever watched a cat plot out it's path BEFORE it went that way? I think you may be mistaken here.

Chronodynamic Jim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
Jim, how do you know what animals can and cannot think about? Have you ever watched a cat plot out it's path BEFORE it went that way? I think you may be mistaken here.[/b]

I meant in the sence of predicting the future. I think they can plan or expect.

But there are no Kitty Prophets!:lol:

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Chronodynamic Jim\")</div>
I meant in the sence of predicting the future. I think they can plan or expect.

But there are no Kitty Prophets!:lol:[/b]

Ah, thank God for that!

sinister

that is by no means what i meant, i kind of hoped people knew I didn't actually believe that animals could see into the future. Animals have no concept of time, therefore they experience it all at once.
StarLord, what you are describing is very true. I think animals are much smarter and perceptive than we give them credit for. However, I believe all of what you described could be attributed to instincts, which is what animals operate wholly on. I guess my point is that animals have no ego, so they follow their instincts, which in an owner/pet situation leads them to become connected to their provider.

StarLord

I have to disagree on two of those counts. They very much DO have a concept of time, they know when I am due home from work, and when late get to hear about it from them.

They also display displeasure and jealousy when it looks as if one is getting more attention / petting than the other. A very definate sign of Ego. Forget instincts.

Strangevisitor

yes there is a present. the present is all wrapped around us. every moment we experiance as the now is the present unless we are thinking of a memory then it is the past but we are thinking of the past in the present, or if we are time traveling then it is the past or the future. i am presently writing this post but in a moment it will be in the past but for now it is present.

StarLord

There is no time in reality. Time is a human construct. Time is a human, state of consciousness concept to keep from being terrified of the only moment we can EVER experience, the NOW.

The mind cannot handle eternity.

Nor can it handle putting up with a very irate mate that you had forgotten to buy dinner for and kept waiting at least an 'hour'.......