Problems with time traveling

Phoenix

Time is our own invention, so we can put limits on it. We can say that the smallest amount of time measurable is this, etc. Same with distance. Both time and distance existed without sentiency, but we labeled them and defined them in our own way, without neccessarily understanding or explaining them properly.
This keeps popping up again and again. I still don't understand the relevance of it.
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae281.cfm
Question

What is Planck length? What is Planck time?

Asked by: Adam Faust

Answer

The Planck length is the scale at which classical ideas about gravity and space-time cease to be valid, and quantum effects dominate. This is the ‘quantum of length’, the smallest measurement of length with any meaning.

And roughly equal to 1.6 x 10-35 m or about 10-20 times the size of a proton.

The Planck time is the time it would take a photon travelling at the speed of light to across a distance equal to the Planck length. This is the ‘quantum of time’, the smallest measurement of time that has any meaning, and is equal to 10-43 seconds. No smaller division of time has any meaning. With in the framework of the laws of physics as we understand them today, we can say only that the universe came into existence when it already had an age of 10-43 seconds.

Answered by: Dan Summons, Physics Undergrad Student, UOS, Souhampton

Ralan

Brilliant. Cheers Phoenix. That was kind of what I was trying to convey; I thought about involving the speed of light but I didn't see the relevance of it at the time.

Chanelle_Rose

Originally posted by Fringan@Aug 27 2004, 08:15 AM
A classic problem with time traveling is if you built a time machine and went back in time to when you were born, found the infant you and killed it what would happen?

Logically, if you were killed just after you were born you wouldn't grow up and live to the moment when you go back in time and kill youself. Therefore, in order for time travel to be possible the universe has to consist of multiple realities (or dimensions) and time traveling would only be possible from one reality to another, not within the same reality.

Ofcourse there is a possibility there is just one reality but if timetravel would be possible within that reality you would be able to go back to your birth but you wouldn't be able to kill yourself, because if you did you would instantly disapear because of the the above fact that you never grew up to go back. If you died as a child you couldn't go back and kill yourself, could you?
Maybe the \"one reality theory\" had to mean there is a sealed fate for everyone and everything since there would be things you could and couldn't do. Let me explain: Let's say you start building a time machine after reading this. Your traveling in time eventaully leads to you beeing shot and deadly wounded. You decide your machine is too dangerous so you rig it with dynamite and a timer so it blows up a minute after you go back in time to the moment you are reading this to warn you NOT to build that time machine. So as you are reading this, a future you pop up next to you, warn you about building the time machine and then die from his wound. This event would evetually lead up to you somehow HAVE TO build a time machine and become mortally wounded and to back in time to warn yourself, even though you have warned yourself. Everything you tried to do to avoid this from happening would only be you fulfilling another step of your predetermined fate.
The more I think of it, the less probable i find time traveling to exist in a universe with only one reality/dimension.

No, for time traveling to exist there have to be 1/0 (infinite) number of \"timelines\" or possible configurations of the universe to travel between. I think of it like an infinite number of \"bubbles\" containing the entire universe in one of its possible configurations, that is something like a freeze frame of every sub atomic particle in a certain place and state. Time would just be passing through \"bubbles\" or configurations, one bubble for each of the smallest possible change in the configuration.
\"Time\" would only be able to jump from the bubble it's currently at to the ones where the changes in the next bubble compared to the one before follows the laws of nature.
If this was true, time traveling would basically be to learn how to break the laws of nature and to leave the time line we are currently in and \"jump\" to another timeline running through the same or similar bubble/configurations of the universe before or after where we are currently at.

I realize this also would mean there is no free will and I guess that might upset alot of people :p

My conclusion is that we have to learn how the universe works in detail before it will be possible to travel in time (or prove that it's impossible).

I believe in multiple dimensions. But if there were one reality and a person went back to kill their infant self, why couldn't they both disappear like a form of suicide? Then there's also the question of would the person be able to kill their infant self? Like can one person occupy the same space in two forms as an adult and as a kid? His adult self would exist in another deminsion. The seperate dimensions would prevent him from harming himself like a forcefield of some sort. Multiple dimensions does not have to mean no free will. Our choices create the dimensions. :)

Chanelle_Rose

Originally posted by Ralan@Aug 27 2004, 07:00 PM
I believe in the single worldline theory.

Another Problem with Time Travelling:

Time travel in any form requires every nanosecond state of the universe to be recorded somewhere. .

I believe in God, so I believe it is being recorded. All of our actions and every day of our life is being recorded. :) @);-

lanka

Hi
I am new to this and a bit confused. I am researching time travel possibilities for a story but have found all sorts of issues that make it rather ridiculous. If a person is going into the past, where is it they end up? I mean that if I am to able to go into the past doesn't that mean that every miniscule second of the past must be frozen and waiting? How can I go back to my first kiss when neither me or my partner are there anymore?
I am sorry if the question seems pedantic or plain silly but it is actually bugging me a lot. can anyone help?

iooqxpooi

First off, I wouldn't exactly call that the smallest amt. of time. The smallest length is the distance the smallest possible particle or whatever(infinity^-(infinity^-infinity) moving the smallest possible distance. ;)