Recipe Swap

CaryP

Recipe Swap

Well Sue, you got your thread and I thought I'd try and be the first knucklehead to venture in. No I don't have any recipes off the top of my head. I've lost that "Betty Crocker" feeling. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling for you to see if anybody else wanted to start requesting or posting specific receipes here.

Good luck, Mom.

Cary

StarLord

Recipe Swap

Yo, Bro, I thought ya'll was in touch with your feminnemem side.

Ah say, Ize cant believe ya'll lost dat feelin so quickly.

Birthday cakes should always have the kind of candles that never go out. Not only is it fun to watch, but the older they get, it becomes exercize for them.

What I would like is the recipe for that PHAT stuff they fry in Nawlins so early in the mornin that you have with strong koffee.

OK Brother, you are off the hook now.

P.S. Black Pudding.

You need fresh animal blood, onions, spices, casing and rice. I'll leave the particulars to our UK branch except one major point, it is just as unforgiving as a souffl? when it comes to noise and vibration during cooking, it loves to split.

CaryP

Recipe Swap

I can't believe I'm doing it again. Not only did I post the first recipe ever (that I know of) on this BBS for Rob, but now I'm going to be the first one on the damned recipe swap thread. Curse you Starlord.

Starlord,

Were you referring to "beignets" (pronounced "ben-yays" - it's French) when you wrote "PHAT"? The strong coffee is blended with heated half and half to make "cafe au lait" (coffe milk). I've had this for Sunday morning breakfast growing up, and with my kids more times than I can remember. If you want a recipe here it is. Copied it off the net.

Beignets I

The beignet, Louisiana's State doughnut, was first introduced to Louisiana by the Acadians. Early beignets were fried fritters, sometimes filled with fruit. Today, the beignet is a square piece of dough, fried and covered with powdered sugar. They are best when freshly made and served hot.

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 cup water
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cottonseed or vegetable oil for frying*
Powdered sugar

?1. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, salt, butter, and 1 cup water. Bring to boiling: butter will melt. Quickly add flour all at once; beat with wooden spoon until flour is moistened. Cook over medium heat, beating vigorously until dough forms a ball and leaves side of pan. Remove from heat.
?2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with electric mixer at medium speed after each addition. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth, shiny and satiny and forms strands that break apart. It should hold its shape when beater is slowly raised. Beat in vanilla. Dough should be fairly stiff.
?3. Roll dough 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface, using flour liberally on dough. Cut into 2-inch squares.
?4. In electric skillet or large, heavy skillet, heat 1 to 2-inches of oil to 370*F (185*C) on deep frying thermometer.
?5. Fry 3 or 4 at a time until puffy and golden brown on both sides (do not crowd skillet). Remove beignets with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; transfer to a wire rack. While hot, sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Keep warm in 225*F (105*C) oven as you continue frying the remainder. Serve hot, preferably with a piping hot cup of cafe au lait!

Makes 18 to 24.

I can't vouch for the recipe, as I've never tried it, and wouldn't know how. There's too many places here in south LA that you can just pick them up at, or better, take the family there to eat, to go through the hassle of cooking them at home. The coffee I'd recommend to go with this is CDM with chickory, or Community New Orleans blend if you can't find the CDM (made in New Orleans and not widely available).

Hope you're happy you sombitch.

Cary

P.S. If you want the original recipe and prepackaged mix, and/or coffee, contact Cafe du Monde at (504) 587-0835 or online at http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignet.html

KiraSjon

Recipe Swap

Hooray! Recipie swaps!!

Cary, since you were so bold and brave to post the first recipie, i'll send ya the one i gave to mommasue last night. you need a crock pot though...and no, not a pot of crock :p

Cranberry Chicken
3 - 4 chicken breasts, whole
1 16oz can of whole cranberry sauce
1 16oz bottle Catalina dressing (Light is okay to use if you'd like)
1 package dry onion soup mix.

Stir all ingredients together except for the chicken. Once thoroughly mixed, add chicken and make sure all the sauce is covering exposed meat.

Cover and cook on high for 2 hours in a crock pot. Best served over white rice. :love: yum!

StarLord

Recipe Swap

Cary,

For some strange reason, the song "Hello Muddah, Hello Fatha" comes to mind as I write this.

My brother, I cannot believe that you think that I would stoop so low as to get you to write up a recipe. Why, I never dreamed that I could possibly cause you to post a recipe(cough, cough) Far be it from me to fanangle a recipe from a Manly kind of guy such as yourself and being all unknowing about cooking and preparing such like you be.

By the way, Lynard Skynard died of tomaine poisoning today.

Is there any chance that your curse included being fraught with money? Just wondering because I have had my eye on this real neat leather wallet kit that has the upper class multi colored plastic braiding all along the out side here at camp that I was going to make for you in exchange for that great, cough, recipe, cough.

PHAT = Pretty, Hot And Tempting.

Being an upstanding Sombitch, with all requisite dues paid, I can hold my head up high knowing with out a, cough, shadow of,cough a doubt that,cough I , cough, would never , cough, get you to, cough..................

CaryP

Recipe Swap

Being an upstanding Sombitch, with all requisite dues paid, I can hold my head up high knowing with out a, cough, shadow of,cough a doubt that,cough I , cough, would never , cough, get you to, cough..................

LMAO! Still laughing. I wasn't sure if you were being checked for a hernia, or if you were recommending that I get checked. Very funny, thanks.

By the way, Lynard Skynard died of tomaine poisoning today.

The high school P.E. coach that the band is named for? or a band member?

Is there any chance that your curse included being fraught with money? Just wondering because I have had my eye on this real neat leather wallet kit that has the upper class multi colored plastic braiding all along the out side here at camp that I was going to make for you in exchange for that great, cough, recipe, cough.

Keep the damned wallet. The more one is decorated, the more it becomes a target for theft. Nice thought though.

Still laughing.

Cary

StarLord

Recipe Swap

Glad I could make some merryment my friend. :D

If you can find the song on the internet "Hello Mother, Hello Father", its from the 60's Allan Sherman I think. If memory serves correct, one of the lines in it tells about Lynard Skynard dieing of Tomaine Poisoning at summer camp. I always wondered if the Band was named for this reason. I was not aware of a PE teacher by that name.

I seroiusly doubt that any person in their right mind would steal one of those wallets, its garishness and obvious look of a young childs manufacture pretty much insures it's safety and heartfelt condolences from people. :lol:

CaryP

Recipe Swap

Starlord,

A little off topic, but to clarify, the band Lynard Skynard named themselves after a PE coach who gave them a hard time in high school because of their longish hair and they weren't jocks. They were also apparent slackers during gym class. The man's real name was Leonard Skinnard (not sure about the exact spelling of the last name). They did it just to p i s s him off.

I do remember the summer camp song about camp Grenada. We sang it for our parents (as a camp) when they came to pick us up at Camp Tecaboca (Texas Catholic Boys Camp) outside of Kerrville, TX (near San Antonio) in 1964. No, I don't remember most of the words.

Hell, I knew you were just jackin' with me on the wallet. Keep it real brother.

Cary

StarLord

Recipe Swap

I did not know that. Thank you for the info my friend.

So, does this mean your not going to send me any money for the wallet kit?
Being stuck here at camp has forced me to spend all my allowance on popcicles.

CaryP

Recipe Swap

Originally posted by StarLord@Aug 18 2004, 03:13 PM
I did not know that. Thank you for the info my friend.

So, does this mean your not going to send me any money for the wallet kit?
Being stuck here at camp has forced me to spend all my allowance on popcicles.

Letter to Dad.

"Dear Dad,

No mon, no fun, your son."

Letter to son.

"Dear son,

Too bad, so sad, your Dad."

Keep smiling, mommy will be there by this weekend to pick you up for school next week. We have plenty of popcicles here at home.

Cary

You're funny brother.