Religion

deepthought

Religion

To think I nearly abandoned this forum because of all the bickering about 666 and JK. Now we have reasoned debate about our very being, maybe a little off topic, but nontheless all to do with our existance in this and other timelines. I am glad I stayed.

What do I believe? I year ago I was agnostic, but the reading I have done since then leaves me with a VERY open mind. I look for proof, and hope it will come in my time.

If our souls are immortal, I would like to take the accumulated knowledge forward with me, to build upon in the future, but I fear for the future generations, if our present 'Leaders' are not brought to book. :unsure:

There is a saying, 'When legend and fact are at odds, believe the legend'
This pretty much sums it up.

I do NOT believe much of the new testament, the words of St Peter are largely fantasy, compare notes with the apostles. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Phoenix

Religion

Originally posted by StarLord@Jul 17 2004, 12:28 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way Phoenix, but when you barrage a thread with all those quotes regardless of how you feel or think it strikes me as being disconcerting. We all know there are both sides to a coin, and it makes no sense having to lug all those \"proofs\" from the other side of the coin.

Point is, What Do You Believe And Why??

I would much prefer to hear / read what comes from your brain not what you can repeat from others. Just my Humble Opinion.

Playing the devils advocate has it's place and time and can be useful, at other times it can be down right distracting to a train of thought. Parroting others thoughts and viewpoints, while on one hand as a point of validity has its place, it can also be destructive as it can obfuscate the underlying theme of discussion and cause a tremendous waste of time and effort in useless diatribe.

What you have presented are other peoples historical OPINIONS, not Facts.

Bottom line, What do YOU think Phoenix?

I happen to believe reincarnation is a very reasonable theory of death.

To me there are only two means of knowing any subject.

1) First hand
2) Second hand

To have first hand knowledge of death is to have already been dead before. (reincarnation)

To recieve second hand knowledge of death is to talk with those who are dead. (spiritualism)

Based on responses that I recieve from people sponteniously and things in my life. I say both are very good theories supported by the world I live in.

Judge Bean

Religion

Originally posted by deepthought@Jul 17 2004, 08:35 PM

There is a saying, 'When legend and fact are at odds, believe the legend'
This pretty much sums it up.

Odd thing is, the saying originates with J. Frank Dobie, I believe, as his conclusion about a particular legend-- whether or not Col. Travis drew a line in the dirt with his sword and asked all who would stay with him to defend the Alamo to step over. Odd, also, that the story of the line in the dirt comes down to us in a way that might remind you of the way religious stories survive time.

Louis Rose, a Napoleonic veteran, was said to be the only one who would not cross the line. He made his way on foot to the Zuber ranch; Mary Zuber heard his story, told in broken English, and memorized it (she was illiterate). She then told her grandson, who wrote it up for the papers 40 years after the battle, and admitted to embellishing it in some unknown fashion.

Legend is just one of the ways human beings learn and know things; it is a bed of fact slept in by many, each having the same dream with variations. It is one of the primary sources of religious history.

deepthought

Religion

There is much to support the idea of re-incarnation, all we need is the means to take our accumulated knowledge forward to the next life...it would save us lots of hassle!

Phoenix

Religion

Originally posted by deepthought@Jul 17 2004, 06:55 PM
There is much to support the idea of re-incarnation, all we need is the means to take our accumulated knowledge forward to the next life...it would save us lots of hassle!
I agree.

StarLord

Religion

There is /are ways of taking that info with us and it is all automatic. On one of the higher planes, the Causal Plane I believe it is called, is a place where the Akashic Records are stored of each and every soul. From the first moment of your birth when you enter the physical plane (world) a recorder of such sophistication starts running and EVERYTHING is recorded, sight, sound, smell and emotions, the whole shabang. Each life's recording of every single incarnation is stored there.

When soul leaves the physical plane at the end of the physical body's road, soul may visit the Akashic Records and compare previous life's lessons with the most recent life. It is basicly a repository of all that we have experienced.

By using the Causal Body to visit the Causal Plane much the same way that one would use the Astral body to travel to the Astral Plane during the dream state at night, one has the choice to visit that repository of past knowledge at any time you might care to.

There are repositories, or Museums for a better choice of description, that rest on the higher planes that house every single invention ever produced, and ever will be produced by mankind. Each particular avenue has its own place there. Science, Agriculture, Weapons, Manufacture, Musicial Instruments, Medicine....

Phoenix

Religion

Originally posted by StarLord@Jul 19 2004, 09:11 AM
There is /are ways of taking that info with us and it is all automatic. On one of the higher planes, ?the Causal Plane I believe it is called, is a place where the Akashic Records are stored of each and every soul. From the first moment of your birth when you enter the physical plane (world) a recorder of such sophistication starts running and EVERYTHING is recorded, sight, sound, smell and emotions, the whole shabang. Each life's recording of every single incarnation is stored there.

When soul leaves the physical plane at the end of the physical body's road, soul may visit the Akashic Records and compare previous life's lessons with the most recent life. It is basicly a repository of all that we have experienced.

By using the Causal Body to visit the Causal Plane much the same way that one would use the Astral body to travel to the Astral Plane during the dream state at night, one has the choice to visit that repository of past knowledge at any time you might care to.

There are repositories, or Museums for a better choice of description, that rest on the higher planes that house every single invention ever produced, and ever will be produced by mankind. Each particular avenue has its own place there. Science, Agriculture, Weapons, Manufacture, Musicial Instruments, Medicine....
I have heard about the Akashic records and the idea really fascinates me. Unfortunately because of some few sources that I heard of people that claim they accessed them, I am left questioning the reality of their existence / accuracy of the information obtained by visiting them. It is possible the few reports I received on them do not represent real visits to the Akashic records. The thing is, I have not seen any reports of it that do look real.

StarLord

Religion

True, and until you experience them for your self it may stay just conjecture for you or, you may just change your mind and wait for it to happen. Having a open mind about things is much the same as holding a skeleton key for all those barriers that can crop up mentaly and thus build a barrier between you and the actual experience. A open mind is like an open air line ticket, it will take you anywhere you want to go. (But you already know that)

Rather than push for immediate proof right now for yourself, why not shift your perspective towards those that have been there and what it did for them and for us in the long run. Of course, I am speaking about the museums now.

Alexander Ghram Bell was quite adept at visiting there, but I am not sure he was aware of what was going on. Nikolai Tesla also was a frequent visitor. Benjamin Franklin, Elli Whitney, the list is quite long. I also believe that there might be specific reference for some of there about comming up with "ideas" while dreaming.

Phoenix

Religion

Originally posted by StarLord@Jul 19 2004, 10:13 AM
True, and until you experience them for your self it may stay just conjecture for you or, you may just change your mind and wait for it to happen. Having a open mind about things is much the same as holding a skeleton key for all those barriers that can crop up mentaly and thus build a barrier between you and the actual experience. A open mind is like an open air line ticket, it will take you anywhere you want to go. (But you already know that)

Rather than push for immediate proof right now for yourself, why not shift your perspective towards those that have been there and what it did for them and for us in the long run. Of course, I am speaking about the museums now.

Alexander Ghram Bell was quite adept at visiting there, but I am not sure he was aware of what was going on. ?Nikolai Tesla also was a frequent visitor. Benjamin Franklin, Elli Whitney, the list is quite long. I also believe that there might be specific reference for some of there about comming up with \"ideas\" while dreaming.
The museum idea I find much easier to believe in. I think I have been there is a sense myself. Many of my "ideas" wind up elsewhere.

Ralan

Religion

Grayson, you have some great ideas. I share a lot of your opinions on religion, especially those about its origins. StarLord, when reading this thread I was never sure if the things you say are fictional, or if you believe them to be true, and if you can prove them to be so.

Here is my personal take on finding your beliefs, and my own philosophy.

What other people can tell me, what they believe, what books and accounts and history can tell me; I was affected by and considered all of these things when looking for my beliefs. But the most important thing, however old a book is, and however powerful a preacher is, was that I detatched myself from these things, and looked at the universe around me, observed life independantly, and greatly based my beliefs on the truth based on what I could see without anything interfering with it. I saw that most beautiful things, which I had taken for granted, and the most terrible things, which had been hidden from me. This method of looking at what I saw to be the truth rather than what I was told was the truth lead me to the philosophy of modern humanism. I see no evidence for a god, God, life after death, heaven, hell, or reincarnation. I see that there are things we cannot explain, but also that there are things which we now understand, through science, the great gift of sentient life, which we did not understand in the past and simlarly used as evidence for a greater being. I honestly and earnestly yearn for every human to be happy and for the world to be completely at peace, and for every human to treat all other life well.