Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Also, regarding rotating electric fields, I read about experiments with this in the classical literature. In the early days of electromagnetism, they had electrostatically charged pieces of glass which rotated, and they measured the EM fields. I think they had a single charge rotating a single direction, so it created a magnetc field the same as a current loop. However, if you're talking about rotating the direction of the electric field, that could also be arranged. :geek:

My particular setup answered a question I had about magnetic fields. The question was would a magnetic field form by turning electrical fields on an off in a rotating pattern? The answer turned out to be no. Appaerently a charged partical must physically move through space for a magnetic field to form. But the info is useful. It does tend to suggest that an additional way to move electric fields exist seemingly outside of the effects of space.

The actual circuit I used was very simple to make to produce rotating ourput pulses. I used a 4017 cmos chip to produce 4 sequential output pulses. And a couple of RS flipflops connected to the outputs of the 4017. This produced 4 overlapping output pulses. That is the general sumary of the circuit. I used a variable square wave frequncy generator to feed pulses to the 4017 using a 555 chip. I just haven't gotten around to putting the info back into a circuit diagram yet.

Martian

My particular setup answered a question I had about magnetic fields. The question was would a magnetic field form by turning electrical fields on an off in a rotating pattern? The answer turned out to be no. Appaerently a charged partical must physically move through space for a magnetic field to form. But the info is useful. It does tend to suggest that an additional way to move electric fields exist seemingly outside of the effects of space.

The actual circuit I used was very simple to make to produce rotating ourput pulses. I used a 4017 cmos chip to produce 4 sequential output pulses. And a couple of RS flipflops connected to the outputs of the 4017. This produced 4 overlapping output pulses. That is the general sumary of the circuit. I used a variable square wave frequncy generator to feed pulses to the 4017 using a 555 chip. I just haven't gotten around to putting the info back into a circuit diagram yet.
Maxwell introduced the idea of displacement current, thereby modifying Ampere's circuital law. However, it's scaled by a factor of (1/c²), so it's tiny. Not only that, it creates a magnetic field that goes in a circular path, rather than a single direction. A common compass would be unlikely to detect it.

I have wondered if it was simply a mathematical convenience to make the derivation of the electromagnetic wave equation possible.

What type of sensor(s) did you use to check for a magnetic field?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I just used an ordinary compass to check for a magnetic field.

An idea I came up with as to why there was no magnetic field could be because of the direction of the electric field. I didn't have the Tesla coils pointed in a rotating pattern. All coils were oriented in a vertical direction. After-all a moving charge follows the direction of the electric field.

Martian

I just used an ordinary compass to check for a magnetic field.

An idea I came up with as to why there was no magnetic field could be because of the direction of the electric field. I didn't have the Tesla coils pointed in a rotating pattern. All coils were oriented in a vertical direction. After-all a moving charge follows the direction of the electric field.
I think the high frequency of a Tesla coil would be to blame for that. The electric field is defined as 6.png, where the first term is the negative gradient of the electrostatic potential & the second term is the negative rate of change of the magnetic potential. With a Tesla coil, only the magnetic potential will be relevant. Generally speaking, the magnetic potential at a given point in space is in the same direction as nearby electric currents, and its magnitude is inversely proportional to the distance of the point from the current source. Anyway, since a compass is a simple mechanical device & takes much longer to rotate than the time taken for the electrical signal to oscillate, it won't have time to respond. (Think of a signal oscillating in the MHz range & a compass trying to rotate millions of times per second) And the strength of the field might be an issue, too.

Martian

I think the high frequency of a Tesla coil would be to blame for that. The electric field is defined as View attachment 13259, where the first term is the negative gradient of the electrostatic potential & the second term is the negative rate of change of the magnetic potential. With a Tesla coil, only the magnetic potential will be relevant. Generally speaking, the magnetic potential at a given point in space is in the same direction as nearby electric currents, and its magnitude is inversely proportional to the distance of the point from the current source. Anyway, since a compass is a simple mechanical device & takes much longer to rotate than the time taken for the electrical signal to oscillate, it won't have time to respond. (Think of a signal oscillating in the MHz range & a compass trying to rotate millions of times per second) And the strength of the field might be an issue, too.
I can't help but think I'm overlooking something here, because any pictures of big Tesla coils tend to be accompanied by very large arc discharges which must have a duration longer than the period of oscillation to be visible.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I can't help but think I'm overlooking something here, because any pictures of big Tesla coils tend to be accompanied by very large arc discharges which must have a duration longer than the period of oscillation to be visible.

Yes! Remember the Intermediate Axis Theorem observations? The short and long axis will have different rotational moments of inertia, and the intermediate axis will have oscillating moments of inertia between two orthogonal rotational states of motion. So pay attention to the dimensional aspects of the voltage fields. For instance there is a measurable external voltage field which either increases or decreases in the longitudinal direction of the coil. Couple that with an internal oscillating voltage field in the direction of the conductive path of the coil wire which is wound almost at right angles to the external voltage field. I believe it is the larger external voltage field that provides the discharge energy for the observed spark discharges.

Martian

Yes! Remember the Intermediate Axis Theorem observations? The short and long axis will have different rotational moments of inertia, and the intermediate axis will have oscillating moments of inertia between two orthogonal rotational states of motion. So pay attention to the dimensional aspects of the voltage fields. For instance there is a measurable external voltage field which either increases or decreases in the longitudinal direction of the coil. Couple that with an internal oscillating voltage field in the direction of the conductive path of the coil wire which is wound almost at right angles to the external voltage field. I believe it is the larger external voltage field that provides the discharge energy for the observed spark discharges.
Ok, I had to reread that... :p The intermediate axis theorem is strictly for rigid bodies, not electromagnetism, etc. Anyway, what shape of coil are you talking about? A solenoid or something else? Supposedly, potentials & fields linearly superimpose, so you just add them together at every point in space.

What I was really thinking, though, is what J.J. Thomson said about Faraday tubes at very high frequencies. Under such circumstances, they theoretically point radially outward from a current-carrying wire, instead of being parallel to it. Faraday tubes are said to be parallel to the electric field at every point, so it would equate to the wire appearing to be electrically charged. (See "Notes on Recent Researches in Electricity & Magnetism" by J.J. Thomson)

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Ok, I had to reread that... :p The intermediate axis theorem is strictly for rigid bodies, not electromagnetism, etc. Anyway, what shape of coil are you talking about? A solenoid or something else? Supposedly, potentials & fields linearly superimpose, so you just add them together at every point in space.

What I was really thinking, though, is what J.J. Thomson said about Faraday tubes at very high frequencies. Under such circumstances, they theoretically point radially outward from a current-carrying wire, instead of being parallel to it. Faraday tubes are said to be parallel to the electric field at every point, so it would equate to the wire appearing to be electrically charged. (See "Notes on Recent Researches in Electricity & Magnetism" by J.J. Thomson)

The reason I brought up the Intermediate Axis Theorem is because you thought you were missing something. Mother nature gets something and repeats it over and over. But I noticed something very distinctive about the Intermediate Axis Theorem a while back. It's a violation of the laws of physics. There is only one force that has that ability. The nuclear weak force. That force has the ability to violate charge, parity, and time laws. When the nuclear weak force is present a particle could change into an anti particle. The Tesla coil has an additional electric field in the vertical direction which is what I referred to as a field along the longitudinal axis. The primary electrical field flows through the conductive wire of the secondary coil. That primary field is what I was able to capture as the oscillation frequency of the Tesla coil. The primary field is at right angles to the the longitudinal field.
The longitudinal field with enough voltage buildup will create an atmospheric discharge that will be at a different frequency from the primary frequency. Two oscillating electrical fields. That is the part that you were missing. The fields are pretty much independent of each other because they are at right angles to each other.

The Tesla coil does have an additional force which I have experimented with. Others call it electrogravity. I call it motion induction. This force does radiate outward from the Tesla coil. I made a video of the force in action. The Tesla coil is being turned on and off at around 2 CPS.

Martian

The reason I brought up the Intermediate Axis Theorem is because you thought you were missing something. Mother nature gets something and repeats it over and over. But I noticed something very distinctive about the Intermediate Axis Theorem a while back. It's a violation of the laws of physics. There is only one force that has that ability. The nuclear weak force. That force has the ability to violate charge, parity, and time laws. When the nuclear weak force is present a particle could change into an anti particle. The Tesla coil has an additional electric field in the vertical direction which is what I referred to as a field along the longitudinal axis. The primary electrical field flows through the conductive wire of the secondary coil. That primary field is what I was able to capture as the oscillation frequency of the Tesla coil. The primary field is at right angles to the the longitudinal field.
The longitudinal field with enough voltage buildup will create an atmospheric discharge that will be at a different frequency from the primary frequency. Two oscillating electrical fields. That is the part that you were missing. The fields are pretty much independent of each other because they are at right angles to each other.

The Tesla coil does have an additional force which I have experimented with. Others call it electrogravity. I call it motion induction. This force does radiate outward from the Tesla coil. I made a video of the force in action. The Tesla coil is being turned on and off at around 2 CPS.

Well dang, that's cool. :cool: I actually don't know enough about the nuclear weak force to meaningfully comment on it, but that may change in the future.

I do remember Tesla talking about his wireless transfer system and how the Earth could act as a reservoir of electrons & pumping electricity into one place would be similar to a hydraulic system, with an incompressible fluid, pumping electricity out elsewhere. That may be the longitudinal EMF you're talking about, but I don't know. Was current flowing through that smaller coil? Did you try rearranging the setup to see if the oscillation was simply due to cantilever motion & if the force was unidirectional?

Do you think the force you observed is related to the Poynting vector? It is said to carry energy & momentum, but it might be too weak to explain your results. I like to think I'm decent at math. :p But a single experiment can trump a thousand theories, so ultimately that's what matters.

I also read a book online by some guy who claimed that Tesla found a way to compress the aether with high frequency high voltage AC. It's available for free here: Pentagon Aliens - Formerly 'Space Aliens From The Pentagon' . It starts out sounding a bit crazy, but it gets better.

Sorry if I sounded a bit overly skeptical before, as I was a bit tipsy. :LOL: I always value your input on these matters.