Serious Question in Regards to Time Travel

bowtiesarecool

Bowties where have you been ? Higgs Boson has been in the news a lot. A boson is a "force carrying" particle. The Higgs Boson , which they at first conjectured had to exist theoritically , is the boson that carries the GRAVITY force. Last year they had some good evidence they had actually found it. They still got a lot of work to do though. Confirming something exists isn't the same thing as knowing exactly what it is and how it works .
Like a few hundred years ago suspecting there was something tiny called germs that caused disease , then discovering they were for real in a microscope, didn't immediately mean we knew everything about them.
But we do know that gravity slows down light and bends spacetime.
Gravity is one of the FOUR fundamental forces, see here:
The Four Forces of Nature

Thanks, vodkafan. And thanks for explaining in plain English too. I appreciate that. And I don't know where I've been that I hadn't heard about it..but I hadn't. Thanks to you, I know now though. :)

titorite

I like how John said CERN would find the higgsboson... and it did... just not on his time frame... so considering he did it that much further before the outcome I think it leands more credence to his story.

vodkafan

I like how John said CERN would find the higgsboson... and it did... just not on his time frame... so considering he did it that much further before the outcome I think it leands more credence to his story.

I can't agree there....it wasn't much of a prediction.. The CERN LHC was built partly with the AIM of isolating the Higgs Boson . That intention was stated at the outset of the project when building began in 1998...2 years BEFORE JT started posting.
Likewise any "prediction" that CERN will create micro black holes in the near future is not a prediction at all ...who else is going to do it? Nobody else has an atom smasher big enough.

bowtiesarecool

to put it into layman's terms. Time only exists because of the gravitational warping of space by mass. By that I mean that time does not exist in blank space where there is no mass, and no gravity. The airplane analogy is a great example, as the plane accelerates, additional G-forces are induced, creating additional gravity, and slowing down the passage of time within the craft. The satellite example is also another great example of this phenomena. A space craft traveling at the speed of light would experience no passage of time because time is relative within the mass of the craft, and that mass being ZERO due to the craft traveling at the speed of light. This fundamental theory is the basis for the General Electric Time Machine known as the G.E. C204 Time Displacement Unit. The device manipulates gravity to allow for displacement of a general area of effect around the machine through time. The manipulation of gravity is the key to manipulating time because changes in gravity distort the space/time around objects with mass. Research into the Higgs Boson will unlock the secrets to manipulating gravity through the creation of micro singularities and their generation of Hawking radiation.

That was layman's terms???!!:confused:

Agentnumber06

tumblr_m2bj6jAjMP1qeieozo1_500.gif
I'm not sure of the quality of answers I'll get from posting here, but this is something that's been on my mind for awhile and was hoping to get some viewpoints from other people.

Now, we know that Einstein proved time travel possible in like 1914? Sometime around then anyways... And many physicists today talk about what would be needed to travel in time. Now understanding it how they see it, time travel is achieved by reaching that near the speed of light or reaching the speed of light(Hawking's idea is to use a black hole to help achieve this, same with Michio Kaku I do believe but that's another discussion).

And according to Einstein's equations, the faster you moved, the more time would slow down for you(the biggest changes in time come when you get really close to the speed of light). But still even, the faster you move time slows down, we even have to account for this when dealing with the satellites in space that deal with GPS, because time acts differently upon them.

My problem is this, is time travel the way we perceive it to be actually what time travel would even come close to being? And the time travel they talk about by using the speed of light, would definitely not include the possibility of different world time lines.(If you wonder how I come to that conclusion, well if it did, and traveling through time took you to another time line, then people would disappear from our time line every time they got on an airliner, our satellites would disappear, things just wouldn't act 'normal'.) And Traveling back in time would be impossible, we'd only be able to slow down time by traveling at the speed of light and go forward in time.

Now of course I could just be putting way too much thought into this, especially with the Higgs boson possibly being discovered, huge advances could be made in the next 15-30 years in regards to the way we look at time travel, and many other things for that matter.

Just looking to see what the ideas of ot