SETI@Home

KonichiJ

Re: SETI@Home

jurgen36 said:
Unfortunately I do not believe that we will have any results with seti at all. I do believe that other civilizations do exit but if their technology is only 100 or more years out of synchronization with ours we will most likely not be able to receive any of their signals. If their level is 100 years behind ours they will not be able to send radio signals, if it is 100 years more advanced they most likely do not use radio signals anymore. But do no forget there might be tens of thousands of years difference in technology. So it is most unlikely that we have a similar level of science.
Regards

Awesome post.

Keroscene

It is a really good post. Harte's was too. So good in fact I havent really felt like running SETI since.

Keroscene

So, I'm running SETI again. They now have the ability to use NVIDIA graphics processors that support CUDA (8800 series and above). I've noticed it has three different "projects" or "tasks" at once. 1 for each core of the processor and 1 for the GPU, totalling three as I have a dual-core. It seems the projects assigned to just the processor are estimated to take an incredibly long time. At time of writing this, the one assigned to the processors has 58 hours completed and 170hrs remaining. That's the longest project I've ever seen in the years of using SETI. The projects assigned to the GPU are shorter, usually in the time frame of a few hours. I'm not sure if the GPU completes them faster, or they're just smaller projects. It does make my graphics card very warm though, putting out about as much heat as an average game.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Like Num7 mentioned in the original post, Paranormalis has a group on SETI@home. Once I get my finances from moving sorted out next month (or the month after), I plan on getting back into it... If for no other reason than to watch the cool graphs and tickers on my screensaver ;)

Harte's post about the chances being slim to none in finding a signal makes sense, but I think everybody knows this already anyways. I think it's worthwhile simply because how much more foolish would we look if a signal came and nobody was listening?

Num7

Administrator
Staff

I'll need to install it back too, I lost it when I did a format, and I didn't reinstall it since.

Just imagine if it's actually you who detect the first ET signal with your CPU time!!!

Keroscene

Numenorean7 said:
Just imagine if it's actually you who detect the first ET signal with your CPU time!!!

I guess if it is one of us who detects it we're supposed to get the credit for it, or at least acknowledged. Might be "15 minutes of fame". Would be pretty awesome though.

But like Brent said, What if we don't detect it when we possible could have?!?!? We don't really have anything to lose by at least trying. I thought pretty much the same thing, so that's why I'm giving it another go. And it uses my graphics card now, which was also a huge plus/

Whitelight

I've downloaded it now, it looks pretty cool, cept it runs all the time. I'll have to check the settings.