Skeptical

Wodun

Ok yes, I'm a skeptic. I try to take nothing for granted in discussions. This is what this is: a discussion, no matter how fervently you believe in a topic.
I'm skeptic of time travel for a few basic reasons:

1. How is the traveler able to pinpoint the exact location of the Earth in the cosmos in order to not appear in the vacuum of space, which would happen if you are only a half-second off considering the universe is expanding, the Milky Way is rotating, and the Sun is in orbit as well as the Earth in a corkscrew fashion? Don't you have to at least acknowledge that we are passing through 3 dimensional space at about 3 million mph? Can we even contemplate how many vibrations of time have occurred per hour?

2. How is a "time-gate" let's call it, able to be maintained without destroying everything around it including the body? All the while traveling with the Earth as it moves through 3 dimensional space at about 3 million mph.

3. IF there is an infinite number of timeline realities, you could go back in time and kill your own father before you were conceived. You would still exist because you just split the timeline and you now created a timeline where you weren't born, then you somehow are able to return to your original timeline. So the BIG QUESTION: Why Go Back? (unless it's only to learn actual history) because regardless of our time-traveling actions in the "past", those actions did nothing to our original timeline. You would have to leave everything you knew behind to exist in the new timeline you created. How selfish.

TimeFlipper

Welcome to Paranormalis, i feel that you will be a very active member especially on the topic of Time-Travel (y):)..
I`m wondering if you have ever read up on any of our previous postings on Time-Travel, and if not, i would suggest that you take a look at them going back perhaps six months....There have been many previous postings with our members who do believe in Time-Travel, and those who are skeptics just like yourself :cool:..

In your first paragraph you make an excellent point of how a Time-Traveller can possibly pin point an exact location of where to take his Time-Machine to...I presume you also meant the same for going back to specific time date, e.g 1666 :).
When you mentioned a Time-Gate, iam assuming that you probably meant a Wormhole or a Vortex, and how could we maintain the stability of that Wormhole//Vortex?..

I believe you meant to mention the Grandfather paradox, whereby a Time-Traveller goes back in time and kills his Grandfather, and when he tries to return back to his own original Timeline, he never existed in it because his father was never born to create him...A common postulative answer to that paradox is that when you killed your Grandfather, you will have automatically been sent to a Dimension that allows for changes within it, and so when you return to your own Timeline you still exist..;).

The reason why lots of our members want to go back in Time is to prevent a situation whereby a close relative, spouse or friend had been accidentally killed or had died because the wanna be Time-Traveller now believes in hindsight, that he or she could have prevented it, and consequently feels very guilty about it..:cry:

TimeFlipper

another keyboard skeptic

Our new member Wodun has every right to be a skeptic if he wants to be, maybe we can give him information that helps him to reconsider his views....You saying, "another keyboard skeptic", is of no help to him at all NP, be nice to our new members, after all we were nice to you when you first became a member...

Wodun - I'm with you on being skeptical but open.
I'm fairly new as well so welcome :)
The only "time machine" experience I've had is with deep trance state meditation / obes
I've looked back at the past and felt very present (past time) and have even predicted things in the future that came to fruition (future time)
For me the way I look at it is , if I had past and future "experiences" in my meditation / obes then I technically time traveled. LoL

Who knows but it's fun to think about for sure.

lyq

Wodun - I'm with you on being skeptical but open.
I'm fairly new as well so welcome :)
The only "time machine" experience I've had is with deep trance state meditation / obes
I've looked back at the past and felt very present (past time) and have even predicted things in the future that came to fruition (future time)
For me the way I look at it is , if I had past and future "experiences" in my meditation / obes then I technically time traveled. LoL

Who knows but it's fun to think about for sure.
Can u change the past?

lyq - I didn't experience changing the past personally but I felt I could control small things such as pictures in certain locations of a house. Unfortunately that is the only thing regarding the past I can remember.

The future is an entirely different feeling for me and I'm totally guessing that it could be because you are foreseeing the " future memory" so when it manifests in real time in 3d it can really stand out.

Last edited:

Wodun

I hope to be intellectualy honest enough with myself to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brain falls out.

Granted the universe is a big place, and we haven't even stepped out of our own back yard.

I know without proof that there are other civilizations out there that will be born, flourish, and die without humanity ever knowing about them.

I think humans think a little too coloquially when there is talk of O.B.E or other metaphysical things.
Why have past lives of just being human?
Why not a being from another planet?
Why be a spirit and then just hang around the Earth? Wouldn't there be infinitely more interesting things to discover in that dimension?
Why fear a space faring civilization that can travel interstellar in short order? Such a civilization could wipe out humanity easily if they were so inclined.

I tend to view the status quo as just being intellectualy lazy. There are answers out there, and we can and do discover our own answers. We just have to open a book or start a dialog with another to explore the possibilities.

Harte

Regarding pinpointing your position and staying with it, that might be overcome someday, but at the moment there is no way to build a "time machine" in that sense, though science admits traveling back in time might be, some say probably is, possible.
Spacetime has to be warped. As far as is known, that takes a laughably large mass.
Not the sort of thing you could crank up in your basement.

Harte