Social Studies

halo2junkie119

Social Studies

Hey I was wondering if i could have some help for my social studies paper.

Our question is

If you could go back in time and change any event in American History
1. What event would you change?

2.Why would you change it?

3. What would the US/ world be like if that change really took place?

I have a few good ideas, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas?

Lucidus

Re: Social Studies

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"halo2junkie119\")</div>
Hey I was wondering if i could have some help for my social studies paper.

Our question is

If you could go back in time and change any event in American History
1. What event would you change?

2.Why would you change it?

3. What would the US/ world be like if that change really took place?

I have a few good ideas, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas?[/b]

The outcome of the civil war. Now before anyone gets on the NAZI button, let me explain. Not because of slavery but because of States Rights and respect for the Constitution. It seems to me that this war was the begining of the end of the Republic. Power was centralized in Washington D.C. and has been growing every since.

Of course, you don't want to use this for your paper. Its a certain F-.

halo2junkie119

Actually my social studies teacher was giving us some ideas ant that was one of them. A different outcome of the civil war and a different outcome of The revolutionary war. It was wierd because i wrote those down before he mentioned them. He said it doesnt have to be really significant. I was thinking what would it be like if Ben Franklin never discovered electricity or if Nikola Tesla's inventions became popular.

DWOMT

Well I live in San Antonio, Texas. There is a lot of history where I live. The Alamo sits in downtown San Antonio. That whole area was a battlefield. If any of you have seen the recent Alamo movie, ignore it! It was not accurate about the siege in the least. If I could go back in time for historic purposes, it would be to the Alamo in 1836 during the siege. I would love to have a little fun and give the Texan defenders a bit of an edge over the vast mexican army. Maybe give the Texans a few machine guns, and maybe a Bradley armored fighting vehicle. Wouldn't history be different from that situation! LMAO

StarLord

Or better yet, the Indians still owned California and mexico was still ALL of Texas.

DWOMT

heh would be interesting to see how Mexico still owning Texas would play out. The USA probably would have gone in and conquered the region eventually :p

Lucidus

Heres on one that I have often thought about.

In the spring of 1941 Germany was trying to make peace with England. The English were confident at this time that the U.S. would eventually join the war on the side of the allies so they rejected any peace proposals. Hitler encouraged Japan to not attack the U.S. but the Japanese felt it was only a matter time before the U.S. would enter the war and that they should attack first to gain an advantage in the Pacific. So they did attack on December 7th. As expected the U.S. declared war on Japan and Germany and sided with the Soviets who went on to murder and oppress millions people in Eastern Europe.

If the U.S. had decided not to enter the war, and made it clear that it had no intentions of doing so in the spring of 41, England might have made peace with Germany and the Japanese attack might have never happened.

In an other scenario the Allies might have even joined the war against the Soviets and saved tens of millions of Stalin's and Mao's victims.

Just a thought. Of course the NAZIs also murdered millions so the best course would have been to defeat both the NAZIs and the Communists.

halo2junkie119

Thanks for the ideas guys. I decided to write about what the world would be like if Germany and the Axis powers one world war II and conquered the U.S.. There are so many different outcomes, but hdrkid's thread has given me some ideas!

DWOMT

Even if the US hadn't entered WW2, I doubt Germany would have conquered the US. Germany would have finished annexing Europe, then concentrated all firepower on Russia. Eventually down the line some odd years there would have been a clash between a Unified Nazi European Power and the US, but it probably wouldn't have fully happened till the 1950s.

JasperMoon

I'm a social studies teacher and I have always considered questions like this. I'm not making fun of your choice, but it seems to me everyone likes to choose World War II or the Civil War.

I know you are working on your paper now, but did you consider this particular piece of history to change: the assassination of Bobby Kennedy? If he had lived what do you think would have happened?

He would have been president of the united states, no nixon and watergate and we might not have been in vietnam so long, and our economy wouldn't have been so ravaged by the republicans. ;)