Some things w/ infinity

iooqxpooi

Some things w/ infinity

Originally posted by Fringan@Sep 28 2004, 06:31 AM
The first thing you have to understand is that you cannot divide anything with 0. The whole idea with infinity is that there is no smallest (or largest) measurement of space or time. When I type for instance 1/0, I don't really mean exactly 1/0. It's just a simplification of something like (hope this goes well in ascii :) ) :

lim?????x^2-y^2
x->0??-----------
?????????????x-y

Calculating a derivata as done above is a good example of how you can not divide by null but only go as close as 0 as possible (or nessecary). To make it simpler you type 1/0 instead of typing something like \"1 divided by 1*10^-y where y is an incredibly large number, like a trillion-trillion-billion-zillion-zackawillions\" :)

The simple reason to do this is to save paper, ink and time. In order to understand this you must also understand there both is and is no infinity (you actually never get to infinity, you just pretend to in math by dividing by zero which is, as you now know, not possible).
I think theoretically. Thus infinity and 0 are perfectly real in this way of thought. I did not see this somewhere, as you so seem to say, but I THOUGHT of it. I have been seeing 0 and infinity, and I find myself liking them very much. I wanted to find the answers to the calculations that you can make with them, and thus this page.

iooqxpooi

Some things w/ infinity

Originally posted by Fringan@Sep 28 2004, 06:31 AM
The first thing you have to understand is that you cannot divide anything with 0. The whole idea with infinity is that there is no smallest (or largest) measurement of space or time. When I type for instance 1/0, I don't really mean exactly 1/0. It's just a simplification of something like (hope this goes well in ascii :) ) :

lim?????x^2-y^2
x->0??-----------wouldn't that just be lim x->0 x+y ?
?????????????x-y

Calculating a derivata as done above is a good example of how you can not divide by null but only go as close as 0 as possible (or nessecary). To make it simpler you type 1/0 instead of typing something like \"1 divided by 1*10^-y where y is an incredibly large number, like a trillion-trillion-billion-zillion-zackawillions\" :)

The simple reason to do this is to save paper, ink and time. In order to understand this you must also understand there both is and is no infinity (you actually never get to infinity, you just pretend to in math by dividing by zero which is, as you now know, not possible).

Fringan

Some things w/ infinity

Originally posted by iooqxpooi@Sep 28 2004, 09:40 PM

lim?????x^2-y^2
x->0??-----------wouldn't that just be lim x->0 x+y ?
?????????????x-y

I'm not sure how much math you know right now but i guess you might find derivates interesting. It also holds an answer to your question in the 1/0-area:

www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=32

In the beginning of the article you will find it saying this:

"In the function 1/x, while x approaches zero, the function approaches infinity. It will never reach infinity, since 1/0 is undefined, but it will get closer and closer as x gets close to zero."

I would just like to point out what i said earlier: You will approach infinity, getting closer and closer to it, but you will never actually get there since it takes infinite time to do so.

Harte

Re: Some things w/ infinity

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"iooqxpooi\")</div>
No no no, infinity is the set of all numbers. 4 is the set of all numbers having to do with 4! Thus infinity, the set of all numbers, divided by infinity=0. 1/infinity+2/infinity...1/infinity=0 because infinity cannot go into 1. 2/infinity=0 because infinity cannot go into two. Got it? :)[/b]

Here is an error. Infinity is not a set. The set of all numbers is infinite, though.

If you want to play with infinity, instead of using infinity, use an unknown like x, then see what happens in your equation as you let x get bigger and bigger (approaching infinity.)

Alpha and 0mega

Re: Some things w/ infinity

hey iooq,how bout u write a thread bout how to lie.Let me giv u some idea how to do it.
1)Before u start writing ur "thread",always giv reasons like u r not in the mood or tired and don feel like writing.So that u can write less bout the theory u don even know too much.
2)While writing equation or somthing else,always make it look as convincing as u can.
And so u r ready to start writing the thread bout how to lie.>:D<