Some thoughts on Peak Oil

DadOf5

Whether Peragro was a real time traveler or not, he did raise our, or at least my, awareness of the peak oil situation.

According to the latest issue of Popular Science, there is still debate within the scientific community about when peak oil will occur.

The most pessimistic outlook is from the Association for the Study of Peak Oil, a group of European scientists who believe peak oil production will occur in 2008. Their predictions are based upon current oil extraction technologies and the increasing demand from developing economies such as China.

Others, such as Leonardo Maugeri of the Italian energy company, Eni, and John Felmy of the American Petroleum Institute argue that ?peak oil production estimates are so far off that for all practical purposes we might as well act as if oil will flow forever.? (popsci Aug 2004) Their arguments are based on emerging technologies in oil extraction, such as new seismic survey techniques to find possible oil hotspots, as well as flexible coil drilling equipment to extract more of the oil from existing wells. It is interesting to note that today we can only extract about 35% of the oil from existing wells. These new techniques should allow extraction of about 50 to 60%.

Which argument is correct? I wish I knew. I have very little trust in the large oil companies and the Dubyament to tell us the truth. It would not surprise me at all to learn that peak oil is a fiction aimed at scaring investors on Wall Street into driving up the price of crude oil and passing that cost of that fear onto us, the consumers.

Even if the arguments from Eni and the API are correct, I feel that work should be done on finding new and alternative, renewable energy sources. One thing I?ve run across that I?ve found very impressive is solar energy. There is a company based in the UK that sells solar panels. Not the old, ugly solar panels from the 70?s. These are roof mounted and designed to look like slate with a bluish tint. They are also supposed to be easy enough to install that the average roofing contractor can install and wire them, and can provide about half of the average household energy requirements. (You can find company info at http://www.solarcentury.com ) Right now, though, the cost is prohibitive, at least for me. To provide half of the energy needs for a 1,400 square foot home the cost is about $14,000.

Another technology that I suppose could be combined with solar is wind. I saw somewhere, and I?ll have to try to find it again, a vertical wind powered generator. I think this would be better than the conventional, propeller type generators for a couple of reasons. For one, they would be easier on wildlife, fewer incidents of sliced bird, for another they are much more pleasing to the eye. If I can find the article I read, I believe it was stated that they are even more efficient.

Now, for all of you educated big brains out there, start thinking of alternative forms of energy. Try to think of the world around us, what is already there, and how we can use it to our advantage. The simpler the better. One thing that has always fascinated me, and I think could be used as energy is magnetism. Its already there, is there a way to harness magnetic energy? I don?t know, what do you all think?

EDIT: Had to fix the link :)

Cornelia

Dad,
my father-in-law works at ENI and I have also many friends there.
One of the most famous statement about Peak Oil came in 1998 from Franco Bernabe, chief executive of ENI. He warned that despite the much reported improvements in horizontal drilling technology to increase yield from existing fields the world was being 'complacent' about the availabilty of cheap oil. "My forecast is that between 2000 and 2005 the world will be reaching peak production from our known fields," Bernabe said. "After that output will decline." But demand, he added, would continue to rise inexorably.
Last week I asked about Peak Oil to a friend of mine, an economist executive at ENI. I expected him to laugh on my face, but instead he asked me how could it be that I know so much about the topic, and then admitted there's a problem. He didn't seem surprised at all when I talked about the overesteem of Saudi fields, and he said that the Peak is expected any moment. He added also that our military in Nassirya are there to patrol those Iraqi ENI fields, very precious for the times coming.
Leonardo Mauceri is only adding his voice to chorus of "Don't worry, there's plenty". But the situation is quite different.

Phoenix

It is often stated all of the energy we have today ultimately came from the sun. Our coal, oil, even wood energy is a result of photosynthesis. Even water and wind energy is a result of evaporation for water and heat differences for wind.

The question is what is the energy of the sun from? The answer is that it is nuclear energy. The thing is much of this nuclear energy is lost in the distance and the storage and extraction of the energy steps in between.

Here is two How stuff works articles

http://science.howstuffworks.com/solar-cell.htm

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question638.htm

I provide a link for Q and A's on nuclear energy.

http://www.ans.umr.edu/pages11-20.html

There is also much talk and praise for hydrogen fuel cells as a form of energy. The thing is the energy from hydrogen must come from another source. In todays infrastructure that source is fossil fuel.

Currently nuclear energy is stunted by regulations placed against it. If we wish to avoid a peak oil crisis scenario, it would help to pursue nuclear energy.

Also there is the possibility that alien technologies of zero point energy are valid, and nuclear energy would not have to be used. However nuclear energy is a known and viable alternative to the extreme consumption of coal and oil in common practice today.

DadOf5

Great links, Phoenix :D

I only had time to skim them for now, but will look at them later tonight!

Cornelia

Oh Phoenix, I think we have no time to worry about... Peak Sun! :lol:

Dad,
I posted this in the Peragro topic too: there's a good forum at www.peakoil.com/forums.html. While it's full of peakoilists ;), is very friendly and people are smart. My username is Barbara there.

Phoenix

He is a somewhat related serries of articles involving Tesla and Electric Cars.
http://www.keelynet.com/energy/teslafe1.htm
This file was originally posted on the KeelyNet BBS on January 30, 1993 as TESLAFE1.ASC. This file was inspired by a newspaper article in the local Dallas Morning News. It was in a column called \"Texas Sketches\" written by A.C. Greene. I called Mr. Green and Mr. Langkop who both courteously sent the additional source material. Both also expressed an interest in more Tesla information as well as Texas experimenters, we are sending them material in return. There is also a second file with my thoughts on the Tesla power box, that file is listed on KeelyNet as TESLAFE2.ASC.
from January 24th, Sunday - Dallas Morning News
Texas Sketches column The Electric Auto that almost triumphed
Power Source of '31 car still a mystery
by A.C. Greene
Not long ago, Texas Sketches told the story of Henry \"Dad\" Garrett and his son C.H.'s water-fueled automobile, which was successfully demonstrated in 1935 at White Rock Lake in Dallas. Eugene Langkop of Dallas (a Packard lover, like so many of us) notes that the \"wonder car\" of the future may be a resurrection of the electric car. It uses no gasoline, no oil - just some grease fittings - has no radiator to fill or freeze, no carburetor problems, no muffler to replace and gives off no pollutants. Famous former electrics include Columbia, Rauch & Lang and Detroit Electric. Dallas had electric delivery trucks in the 1920s and 30s. Many electric delivery vehicles were used in big cities into the 1960s. The problem with electrics was slow speed and short range. Within the past decade two Richardson men, George Thiess and Jack Hooker, claimed to have used batteries operating on magnesium from seawater to increase the range of their electric automobile from 100 miles to 400 or 500 miles. But it is a mystery car once demonstrated by Nikola Tesla, developer of alternating current, that might have made electrics triumphant. Supported by the Pierce-Arrow Co. and General Electric in 1931, he took the gasoline engine from a new Pierce-Arrow and replaced it with an 80-horsepower alternating-current electric motor with no external power source. At a local radio shop he bought 12 vacuum tubes, some wires and assorted resistors, and assembled them in a circuit box 24 inches long, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high, with a pair of 3-inch rods sticking out. Getting into the car with the circuit box in the front seat beside him, he pushed the rods in, announced, \"We now have power,\" and proceeded to test drive the car for a week, often at speeds of up to 90 mph. As it was an alternating-current motor and there were no batteries involved, where did the power come from? Popular responses included charges of \"black magic,\" and the sensitive genius didn't like the skeptical comments of the press. He removed his mysterious box, returned to his laboratory in New York - and the secret of his power source died with him. A.C. Greene is an author and Texas historian who lives in Salado.
The original article from which Mr. Greene gleaned the above info was from a Packard Newsletter. Mr. Gene Langkopf kindly sent us a copy of that article which now follows.
The Forgotten Art of Electric - Powered Automobiles
by Arthur Abrom
Electric powered automobiles were one of the earliest considerations and this mode of propulsion enjoyed a brief but short reign. The development of electricity as a workable source of power for mankind has been studded with great controversy. Thomas A. Edison was the first to start to market systems (i.e. electric generators) of any commercial value. His research and developmental skills were utilized to market a \"direct current\" system of electricity. Ships were equipped with D.C. systems and municipalities began lighting their streets with this revolutionary D.C. electric system. (At that time) Edison was the sole source of electricity! While in the process of commercializing electricity, Thomas Edison hired men who knew of the new scientific gift to the world and were capable of new applications for electricity. One such man was a foreigner named Nikola Tesla. This man, although not known to many of us today, was without a doubt the greatest scientific mind that has ever lived. His accomplishments dwarfed even Thomas Edison's! Whereas Mr. Edison was a great experimenter, Mr. Tesla was a great theoretician. Nikola Tesla became frustrated and very much annoyed at the procedures Edison followed. Tesla would rather calculate the possibility of something working (i.e. mathematical investigation) than the hit and miss technique of constant experimentation. So in the heat of an argument, he quit one day and stormed out of Edison's laboratory in West Orange, New Jersey. Working on his own, Tesla conceived and built the first working alternating current generator. He, and he alone, is responsible for all of the advantages we enjoy today because of A.C. electric power. Angered by Edison, Tesla sold his new patents to George Westinghouse for 15 million dollars in the very early 1900's. Tesla became totally independent and proceeded to carry on his investigative research in his laboratory on 5th Avenue in New York City. George Westinghouse began to market this new system of electric generators and was in competition with Edison. Westinghouse prevailed because of the greater superiority of the A.C. generators over the less efficient D.C. power supplies of Thomas Edison. Today, A.C. power is the only source of electricity the world uses. And, please remember, Nikola Tesla is the man who developed it. Now specifically dealing with automobiles in the infant days of their development, electric propulsion was considered and used. An electric powered automobile possessed many advantages that the noisy, cantankerous, smoke-belching gasoline cars could not offer. First and foremost is the absolute silence one experiences when riding in an electrically powered vehicle. There is not even a hint of noise. One simply turns a key and steps on the accelerator - the vehicle moves instantly! No cranking from the start, no crank to turn (this was before electric starters), no pumping of the accelerator, no spark control to advance and no throttle linkage to pre-set before starting. One simply turned the ignition switch to on! Second, is a sense of power. If one wants to increase speed, you simply depress the accelerator further - there is never any hesitation. Releasing the accelerator causes the vehicle to slow down immediately - you are always in complete control. It is not difficult to understand why these vehicles were so very popular around the turn of the century and until 1912 or so. The big disadvantage to these cars was their range and need for re-charging every single night. All of these electric vehicles used a series of batteries and a D.C. motor to move itself about. The batteries require recharging every night and the range of travel was restricted to about 100 miles. Understand that this restriction was not a serious one in the early part of this century. Doctors began making house calls with electric cars (do you remember doctors making house calls?) because he no longer needed to tend to the horse at night time - just plug the car into an electric socket! No feeding, no rub-down and no mess to clean up! Many of the large department stores in metropolitan areas began purchasing delivery trucks that were electrically powered. They were silent and emitted no pollutants. And, maintenance was a minimum on electrically powered vehicles. There were few mechanics and garages in operation in the early 1900's. So city life and travel appeared to be willing to embrace the electric automobile. Remember, these masterfully built vehicles all ran on D.C. current. Two things happened to dampen the popularity of the electric automobile. One was the subconscious craving for speed that gripped all auto enthusisasts of this era. Each manufacturer was eager to show how far his car could travel (i.e. the transcontinental races) and what was its top speed! Col. Vanderbilt constructed the first all concrete race track in Long Island and racing became the passion for the well-to-do. Newspapers constantly record new records of speed achieved by so-in-so. And, of course, the automobile manufacturers were quick to capitalize on the advertising effect of these new peaks of speed. Both of these events made the electrically powered vehicles appear to only belong to the \"little old lady\" down the street or the old retired gentleman who talked about the \"good old days\". Electric vehicles could not reach speeds of 45 or 50 m.p.h. for this would have destroyed the batteries in moments. Bursts of speeds of 25 to 35 m.p.h. could be maintained for a moment or so. Normal driving speed-depending upon traffic conditions, was 15 to 20 m.p.h. by 1900 to 1910 standards, this was an acceptable speed limit to obtain from your electric vehicle. Please note that none of the manufacturers of electric cars ever installed a D.C. generator. This would have put a small charge back into the batteries as the car moved about and would have thereby increased its operating range. This was considered by some to be approaching perpetual motion - and that, of course, was utterly impossible! Actually, D.C. generators would have worked and helped the electric car cause. As mentioned earlier, Mr. Westinghouse's A.C. current generating equipment was being sold and installed about the country. The earlier D.C. equipment was being retired and disregarded. As a side note, Consolidated Edison Power Company of New York City still has one of Thomas Edison's D.C. generators installed in its 14th St. powerhouse - it still works! About this time, another giant corporation was formed and entered the A.C. generating equipment field - General Electric. This spelled the absolute end for Edison's D.C. power supply systems as a commercial means of generating and distributing electric power. The electric automobile could not be adapted to accomodate and utilize a polyphase motor (i.e. A.C. power). Since they used batteries as a source of power, their extinction was sealed. No battery can put out an A.C. signal. True, a converter could be utilized (i.e. convert the D.C. signal from the battery to an A.C. signal), but the size of the equipment at this time was too large to fit in an automobile - even one with the generous dimensions of this era. So, somewhere around 1915 or so, the electric automobile became a memory. True, United Parcel Service still utilizes several electric trucks in New York City today but the bulk of their fleet of vehicles utilizes gasoline or diesel fuel. For all intensive purposes, the electrically powered automobile is dead - they are considered dinosaurs of the past. But, let us stop a moment and consider the advantages of utilizing electric power as a means of propelling vehicles. Maintenance is absolutely minimal for the only oil required is for the two bearings in the motor and the necessary grease fittings. There is no oil to change, no radiator to clean and fill, no transmission to foul up, no fuel pump, no water pump, no carburetion problems, no muffler to rot out or replace and no pollutants emitted into the atmosphere. It appears as though it might be the answer we have been searching for! Therefore, the two problems facing us become top speed and range of driving - providing, of course, the A.C. and D.C. problems could be worked out. With today's technology this does not seem to be insurmountable. In fact, the entire problem has already been solved - in the past, the distant past and the not so distant! Stop! Re-read the last sentence again. Ponder it for a few moments before going on. Several times earlier in this article, I mentioned the man, Nikola Tesla and stated that he was the greatest mind that ever lived. The U.S. Patent Office has 1,200 patents registered in the name of Nikola Tesla and it is estimated that he could have patented an additional 1,000 or so from memory! But, back to our electric automobiles - in 1931, under the financing of Pierce-Arrow and George Westinghouse, a 1931 Pierce-Arrow was selected to be tested at the factory grounds in Buffalo, N.Y. The standard internal combustion engine was removed and an 80-H.P. 1800 r.p.m electric motor installed to the clutch and transmission. The A.C. motor measured 40 inches long and 30 inches in diameter and the power leads were left standing in the air - no external power source! At the appointed time, Nikola Tesla arrived from New York City and inspected the Pierce-Arrow automobile. He then went to a local radio store and purchased a handful of tubes (12), wires and assorted resistors. A box measuring 24 inches long, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high was assembled housing the circuit. The box was placed on the front seat and had its wires connected to the air-cooled, brushless motor. Two rods 1/4\" in diameter stuck out of the box about 3\" in length. Mr. Tesla got into the driver's seat, pushed the two rods in and stated, \"We now have power\". He put the car into gear and it moved forward! This vehicle, powered by an A.C. motor, was driven to speeds of 90 m.p.h. and performed better than any internal combustion engine of its day! One week was spent testing the vehicle. Several newspapers in Buffalo reported this test. When asked where the power came from, Tesla replied, \"From the ethers all around us\". Several people suggested that Tesla was mad and somehow in league with sinister forces of the universe. He became incensed, removed his mysterious box from the vehicle and returned to his laboratory in New York City. His secret died with him! It is speculated that Nikola Tesla was able to somehow harness the earth's magnetic field that encompasses our planet. And, he somehow was able to draw tremendous amounts of power by cutting these lines of force or causing them to be multiplied together. The exact nature of his device remains a mystery but it did actually function by powering the 80 h.p. A.C. motor in the Pierce-Arrow at speeds up to 90 m.p.h. and no recharging was ever necessary! In 1969, Joseph R. Zubris took his 1961 Mercury and pulled out the Detroit internal combustion engine. He then installed an electric motor as a source of power. His unique wiring system cuts the energy drain at starting to 75% of normal and doubles the electrical efficiency of the electric motor when it is operating! The U.S. Patent Office issued him a patent No. 3,809,978. Although he approached many concerns for marketing, no one really seemed to be interested. And, his unique system is still not on the market. In the 1970's, an inventor used an Ev-Gray generator, which intensified battery current, the voltage being induced to the field coils by a simple programmer (sequencer). By allowing the motor to charge separate batteries as the device ran, phenomenally tiny currents were needed. The device was tested at the Crosby Research Institute of Beverly Hills, Ca., a 10-horepower EMA motor ran for over a week (9 days) on four standard automobile batteries. The inventors estimated that a 50-horsepower electric motor could traverse 300 miles at 50 m.p.h. before needing a re-charge. Dr. Keith E. Kenyon, the inventor of Van Nuys, California discovered a discrepancy in the normal and long accepted laws relating to electric motor magnets. Dr. Kenyon demonstrated his invention for many scientists and engineers in 1976 but their reaction was astounding. Although admitting Dr. Kenyon's device worked, they saw little or no practical application for it! So the ultimate source for our electrically powered automobile would be to have an electric motor that required no outside source of power. Sounds impossible because it violates all scientific thought! But it has been invented and H.R. Johnson has been issued a patent No. 4,151,431 on April 24, 1979 on such a device! This new design although originally suggested by Nikola Tesla in 1905, is a permanent magnet motor. Mr. Johnson has arranged a series of permanent magnets on the rotor and a corresponding series - with different spacing - on the stator. One simply has to move the stator into position and rotation of the rotor begins immediately.
Howard Johnson Permanent Magnet Motor
His patent states,
\"The invention is directed to the method of utilizing the unpaired electron spins in ferro magnetic and other materials as a source of magnetic fields for producing power without any electron flow as occurs in normal conductors and to permanent magnet motors for utilization of this method to produce a power source. In the practice of this invention, the unpaired electron spins occurring within permanent magnets are utilized to produce a motive power source solely through the super-conducting characteristics of a permanent magnet and the magnetic flux created by the magnets are controlled and concentrated to orient the magnetic forces generated in such a manner to do useful continuous work such as the displacement of a rotor with respect to a stator. The timing and orientation of magnetic forces at the rotor and stator components produced by permanent magnets to produce a motor is accomplished with the proper geometrical relationship of these components\".
Now before you dismiss the idea of a magnetically run motor - a free energy source, consider the following :
Engineers of Hitachi Magnetics Corp. of California have stated that a motor run solely by magnets is feasible and logical but the politics of the matter make it impossible for them to pursue developing a magnet motor or any device that would compete with the energy cartels.
In a book entitled, \"Keely and His Discoveries\" by Clara B. Moore published in 1893, we find the following statemtents,
\"The magnet that lifts a pound today if the load is gradually increased day by day will lift double that amount in time. Whence comes this energy? Keely teaches that it comes from sympathetic association with one of the currents of the polar stream and that its energy increases as long as the sympathetic flow lasts, which is through eternity\".
Now consider some basic observations concerning magnets:
1) Two permanent magnets can either attract or repel depending on the arrangement of the magnetic poles.
2) Two magnets repel further than they attract because of friction and inertia forces.
3) Most of our energy comes directly or indirectly from electromagnetic energy of the sun, e.g. photosynthesis and watercycle of ocean to water vapor to rain or snow to ocean.
4) Magnetic energy \"travels\" between poles at the speed of light.
5) Permanent magnets on both sides of an iron shield are attracted to the shield and only weakly to each other at close proximity to the shield.
6) Permanent magnets are ferrous metals and are attractive only. Attraction is an inverse square force.
7) Magnetic energy can be shielded.
8) The sliding or perpendicular force of a keeper is much less than the force in the direction of the field to remove the keeper.
9) Most of the magnetic energy is concentrated at the poles of the magnet.
10) A permanent magnet loses little strength unless dropped or heated. Heating misaligns the magnetic elements within the magnet.
11) If a weight lifted by a permanet magnet is slowly increased, the lifting power of the magnet can be increased until all the magnetic domains in the magnet are aligned in the same direction. This becomes the limit.
12) Using magnets to repel tends to weaken them as it causes more misalignment of the domains.
13) A magnetic material placed between two magnets will always be attracted to the stronger magnet.
So, our ultimate motor becomes a permanent magnet motor of proper size with speed being controlled through the automobiles transmission. And, here is the biggest plus, permanent magnets keep their strength for a minimum of 95 years! So here we have a fuel-less automobile that would last us our lifetime. There is only one drawback to an automobile powered by a permanent magnet motor - if the vehicle gets involved in an accident, the shock of the crash could jar the magnets and cause them to lose power! But this seems to be a small price to pay for an automobile that could run all day at 60 m.p.h. - use no fuel - and never need a recharge! Now the only question left to be answered is, \"Where do you buy one?\" or perhaps, \"When will we be able to buy one?\" At present there are several companies offering interim solutions. Some offer electric powered designs - but this is strictly batteries, while others offer a hybrid combination of batteries and small gasoline engines. All of these so-called \"modern alternatives\" suffer from the same lack of accessories we've become accustomed to. They do not, or cannot offer power steering, brakes or windows or air- conditioning, etc. Since they are small aerodynamically shaped packages holding only two people, their appeal is distinctly limited. When someone constructs an automobile run by a permanent magnet motor attached to the differential thus eliminating the transmission, the world will beat a path to his door - providing the energy cartel doesn't find him first! In Richardson, Texas last year, two men - George Thiess and Jack Hooker have advanced the storage battery to a new level. Their new batteries will operate on magnesium made from seawater.
Thiess/Hooker Advanced Storage Battery
The magnesium is used to charge the battery while in an electrolene solution and the range of their auto is increased by replacing the magnesium rods every 400 to 500 miles. Their studies are being officially watched by the Department of Energy. Perhaps an all new era of electrically powered automobiles may be on its way to reality.

DadOf5

Phoenix, you are my hero! >:D<

This is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind when I said something about magnetic energy.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had thought of a permanent magnetic motor before, I'm sure I've read about it, but I don't have the technical skills or equipment to try to build one. I really wish that I was more educated! I did have a thought at work tonight about using a combination of solar energy and batteries to power an electric vehicle. I may see if I can find some small, calculator size, PV cells and try to build a small mock-up of what I have in mind. It would make an interesting toy at the least. ;)

Cornelia,

Peak oil may or may not be right around the corner, some say yes, some say no. Regardless of whether its right now, next year, or in 100 years, its going to happen sooner or later. This is the time for all of us to think about what comes after oil. Will it be solar? wind? nuclear? a combination, or something else? I really don't want for us to be known as the generation that had it all and squandered it, I want us to be known as the generation that identified a problem and solved it. :)

I know that on this forum there are many highly intelligent and well educated people. I've never before had the pleasure of talking with so many in one place. I really want to encourage people here to discuss their ideas, and maybe even do some experimentation. Heck, someone may even inadvertantly discover time travel this way! :D

Phoenix

http://www.seaspower.com/StrategicOverview.htm
Strategic Overview

Introduction

Research shows that over the past 75 years a number of significant breakthroughs in energy generation and propulsion have occurred that have been systematically suppressed. Since the time of Tesla, T. Townsend Brown and others in the early and mid-twentieth century we have had the technological ability to replace fossil fuel, internal combustion and nuclear power generating systems with advanced non-polluting electromagnetic and electro-gravitic systems. The open literature is replete with well-documented technologies that have surfaced, only to later be illegally seized or suppressed through systematic abuses of the national security state, large corporate and financial interests or other shadowy concerns.

Technologically, the hurdles to achieve what is called over-unity energy generation by accessing the teeming energy in the space around us are not insurmountable. Numerous inventors have done so for decades. What has been insurmountable are the barriers created through the collusion of vast financial, industrial, oil and rogue governmental interests.

In short, the strategic barriers to the widespread adoption of these new electromagnetic energy-generating systems far exceed the technological ones. The proof of this is that, after many decades of innovation and promising inventions, none have made it through the maze of regulatory, patenting, rogue national security, financial, scientific and media barriers that confront the inventor or small company.

Categories of Suppression

Our review of now-obscure technological breakthroughs show that these inventions have been suppressed or seized by the following broad categories of actions:

Acquisition of the technology by 'front' companies whose intent have been to 'shelve' the invention and prevent the device from coming to market.

Denial of patents and intellectual property protection by systematic action by the US and other patent offices.

Seizure or suppression of the technology by the illegal application of section 181 of the US Patent law or other illegal applications of national security provisions that result in the technology being classified or deemed \"of significance to the national security\". Note that these applications are illegal actions taken by rogue, unsupervised individuals and entities who are working in collusion with interests to suppress these technologies.

Abuses by other regulatory or licensing entities, including but not limited to rogue elements within the Department of Defense, CIA, NSA, Federal Trade Commission, Department of Energy and others.

Targeting the inventor or company with financial scams, illegal financial arrangements that lead to the demise of the company, and similar traps.

Systematic interception of funds and essential financial support needed to develop and put into mass application such a fundamental new energy source.

A pattern of harassment, bomb-threats, theft and other shadowy actions that frighten, intimidate and demoralize those inventing, holding or developing such technologies; significant bodily harm and murder have also apparently occurred.

Inducements through significant financial buy-outs, offers of positions of power and prestige and other benefits to the owner of such technologies to secure their cooperation in suppressing such technologies.

Scientific establishment prejudice and rejection of the technology in light of unconventional electromagnetic effects thought to be not possible by current scientific conventional wisdom.

Corruption of scientific entities and leaders through clandestine liaisons with rogue classified or shadowy private projects that intend to suppress such devices.

Corruption of major media entities and key figures through clandestine liaisons with rogue classified or private shadowy projects that intend to suppress such devices.

A small inventor or company can in no way overcome such obstacles. Therefore, a strategic plan and capability commensurate with these barriers must be devised and executed in order for these new technologies to succeed.

Implications of our Success

SEAS defines success as the widespread adoption of these new, non-polluting energy and propulsion systems so that the use of oil, gas, coal, nuclear power and other earth damaging sources of energy are effectively replaced. It should be noted that such an undertaking will impact 4.5 trillion dollars a year in world economic activity, replace the current geo-political order with one based on decentralized abundance, and enable humanity to attain a long-term, environmentally sustainable civilization.

It is safe to say that the advent of such new energy systems will be the greatest technological, industrial, geopolitical and cultural revolution in known human history. No aspect of life on Earth will be unaffected by it - and this is precisely why such technologies have been suppressed.

The cartels and interests that prefer to see the status quo continue - even at the cost of environmental erosion, destabilizing world poverty and the like - are very substantial. The idea that an inventor or company can simply roll out such technological breakthroughs as a traditional development and succeed is preposterous. They will be stopped at one step or another unless adequate funding, power and inter-locking strategic capabilities exist to ensure success. In short, the normal business and technological challenges to the successful release of a new technology are dwarfed by the special circumstances and barriers facing these new energy systems. The strategic plan, business plan and leadership of SEAS are established to meet these unique challenges.

A Plan for Action

Headed by CEO Steven M. Greer MD, SEAS is specifically designed to lead and assure that new technologies become widely known and applied. This means the simultaneous orchestration of the following key strategic components:

Identification and rigorous independent scientific testing of 'over unity' electromagnetic and electrogravitic energy and propulsion systems (three independent lab tests are required to confirm results).

Research and development activities to create end-use, commercially practical and viable energy generation systems.

Intellectual property protection and patenting programs in the US and overseas that avoid triggering section 181 and similar actions from the rogue national security interests.

Scientific community education activities to create a core of mainstream and respected scientific and institutional support for this new science.

Political and governmental education activities to create firm support among political leaders, friendly government agencies, regulatory entities and others; an associated PAC (Political Action Committee) will need to provide support to those political leaders and groups that can in turn create real political currency in favor of these new energy systems.

Offshore (non-US) redundancy of technologies, resources and structural systems to ensure longevity in the event of catastrophic actions against the company or technology in the US.

Mass media and public support creation by professional disclosure of the technology as soon as it is secured; such mass communications disclosure of the technology entails enlisting a top five PR firm and mass media release of scientific and government laboratory findings in support of the claims of the technology. This plan also requires the ability to complete a massive media buy of ad space in the event that the media refuses to carry the story (we have sources inside the media and the rogue national security structures that have confirmed that the media has been and is controlled on these and related issues and that it is prudent to plan for some degree of media obstruction). It is important to recognize that some 70% of Americans are concerned with the future of the environment and sustainability issues and that this majority of the population can become a powerful force of support should attempts to suppress the technologies occur.

Careful liaison to existing mass movement groups and institutions that would naturally support the release and widespread adoption of such new energy systems; these include environmental organizations and agencies, anti-poverty groups and agencies, conservation and energy groups, international development groups and agencies, etc.

Out-reach to oil producing countries and interests to negotiate performance-based inclusion of their interests in the dissemination of these new technologies, thus 'hedging' the negative long-term economic impact of these technologies on their core economic foundation. The concept here is to make potential adversaries interested allies - but with specific performance criteria that would preclude the obstruction or 'shelving' of the technology.

Education and development of further support within specific national security, military and intelligence arenas already friendly to the release of these technologies; a substantial level of support has been identified and can be further cultured in support of the safe and orderly release of these energy systems.

Careful internal structural management of SEAS that precludes the possibility of a hostile takeover or suppression of the technology; the CEO and President, Steven M. Greer MD has controlling legal authority over the company and has a proven track record of specifically not bowing to financial inducements, threats and the like. For more than 10 years, Dr. Greer has been involved in disclosing the most exquisitely sensitive information and has consistently remained free of the influence of financial inducements and threats - though these have occurred.

The inventors of these technologies will be specifically insulated from such threats and pressures, legal or otherwise, since the technology will be assigned to the company via a professional licensing agreement that protects the inventor; the inventor is further assured that the device will be massively disclosed and disseminated by a clause that allows the technology to revert back to the inventor should SEAS not perform under specific criteria within a specified time.

This brief overview illustrates the depth and breadth of the minimum strategy needed to move these technologies forward - and overcome the significant hurdles that exist in the status quo. Such an undertaking requires careful orchestration of all strategic components with adequate funds to accomplish the task. The strategy cannot be dictated by the level of available funds. On the contrary, funding must be dictated by these strategic requirements, without which success is impossible. A detailed Phase I business plan is nearing completion.

Three Phases of Existence

The objectives, planned actions, and budget for each phase of the company flow from the strategic necessities of that phase. Phase I involves the identification and scientific testing and verification by three independent, recognized testing groups of the candidate technologies. Phase I will require up to $500,000 in capitalization. Without solicitation, SEAS has already attracted nearly one-third of that figure from wealthy investors.

Once a bona fide energy generation system is identified and triple-tested and is under license to the company, Phase II begins. It is during Phase II that the technology must be secured, intellectually protected, further developed and disclosed. The strategic elements briefly outlined above must be orchestrated during this phase, the culmination of which is the massive public disclosure of the technology. This phase is estimated to cost between $2 million and $20 million, depending on the degree of development of the identified technology. Public figures in business and politics have assured SEAS the necessary funds for Phase II upon presentation of a tested device.

At the completion of the public disclosure of the technology, SEAS will quickly move to Phase III, during which an IPO and horizontal and vertical licensing activities will occur. We estimate that in order to survive further suppression actions, several billions dollars in capitalization will be needed during Phase III. It is during this Phase that the device will enter mass production, distribution and application.

SEAS CEO Steven M. Greer MD has a vast network of scientists, government contacts, political leaders, public supporters, financial backers, friendly military and national security contacts, media contacts and others to bring to this undertaking. A substantial 'brain trust' has already been identified and is ready to spring into action in support of these objectives. These include Ambassadors, prominent celebrity spokespeople, major media figures who have already agreed to help disclose the new technologies- and many others. And millions of people know of his work and can be marshaled to publicly support the objectives and needs of SEAS.

It is our goal that these new electromagnetic technologies replace virtually all fossil fuel, internal combustion and ionizing nuclear technologies within 20-30 years. Obviously, this is the greatest industrial re-tooling in world history and will require cooperation among industrial, scientific, governmental, financial, national security, international security, military and business groups. Our business plan focuses on fostering such cooperation by making it more attractive than opposition. Once the technology is scientifically proven and disclosed, many companies will appear that will assist in this technological revolution, and SEAS will simply be a leader among many. We welcome this development.

Finally, SEAS will have associated with it a substantially endowed foundation that will support international humanitarian efforts and environmentally sustainable development around the world, as well as world peace programs and other worthy projects needed to ensure a peaceful and enduring future for humanity.

CaryP

This may be a little off topic, but it relates to Peak Oil. The polar ice caps are melting at an alarming rate and this rate has been accelerating. The article posted here talks about the findings of British scientists who predict that New York, London and New Orleans will be the first major cities to become submerged. Carbon dioxide levels are higher than they've been for 55m years (I don't know if the "m" stands for 1,000 - Greek symbol for the number - or 1,000,000 years). As the ice caps melt, temperatures in some parts of the world will go up, requiring more energy. Other parts of the world, northern Europe in particular, will experience falling temperatures. I've read other analysis that predicts the British Isles and most of the Scandinavian countries will become mostly uninhabitable because of the cold. The Gulf Stream, which keeps the UK warmer than it would normally be is already getting short ciruited with all of the fresh water coming from melting glaciers. (Salt water is heavier than fresh water, and tends to fall underneath fresh water when mixed.)

According to the article, once the ice caps in Greenland melt, the sea level will rise by 6 to 7 metres. Once Antartica melts away, sea levels will rise another 110 metres. That would definitely swamp low lying, coastal cities. I believe New Orleans is 6 feet below sea level, with a complex system of levies holding back the water.

Anyway, I go on. Here's the link to Melting ice: the threat to London's future

Cary