Star Being Swallowed by a Black Hole

Wind7

Staff
I just love the science articles that make claims like jets leaving the black hole faster than the speed of light.
Like this one?

Black holes have a reputation for devouring everything in their path. But some of them like to give as well as receive. A small fraction of supermassive black holes—the ginormous ones that lurk at the centers of galaxies—fire off light-speed jets of particles as they snack. A new survey of more than 200 of these cosmic beasts finds that the jets are much more powerful than scientists thought.

Wind7

Staff
Does this hold true at all ?

The Milky Way galaxy contains some 100 billion stars. Roughly one out of every thousand stars that form is massive enough to become a black hole. Therefore, our galaxy must harbor some 100 million stellar-mass black holes. Most of these are invisible to us, and only about a dozen have been identified.

Wind7

Staff
You are not supposed to notice those jets. Because then it wouldn't be a black hole.

You're right, of course.

urkel-steve-urkel.gif
"It would be a White Hole." ;)

😃 :sarcasm:

MODAT7

I just love the science articles that make claims like jets leaving the black hole faster than the speed of light.
Not FTL. There are some anomalous energy calculations, but these are probably because we can't get close enough to really see how these work. The black hole acts more like a natural particle accelerator. Strong gravity causes some temporal issues for which seem unaccounted for in these models.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Not FTL. There are some anomalous energy calculations, but these are probably because we can't get close enough to really see how these work. The black hole acts more like a natural particle accelerator. Strong gravity causes some temporal issues for which seem unaccounted for in these models.

There are some science writers out there that do alter data and stretch the truth. For instance it used to be standard practice to mention that black holes are a theoretical concept. And nobody seams to notice that a rotating neutron star also produces the jet phenomena.

Were you aware that the atmosphere of our own sun extends outwards of a million miles? That is a big monkey wrench that stands in the way of the idea that gravity bends light. Wouldn't the sun's own atmosphere act like a lens and bend light? We know that happens here on earth. Just look at the size of the moon or sun when high in the sky and compare it to size we see when either body is on the horizon. Atmospheric lensing is a real thing. So sorry if I don't buy the idea that gravity bends light.

MODAT7

There are some science writers out there that do alter data and stretch the truth. For instance it used to be standard practice to mention that black holes are a theoretical concept. And nobody seams to notice that a rotating neutron star also produces the jet phenomena.

Were you aware that the atmosphere of our own sun extends outwards of a million miles? That is a big monkey wrench that stands in the way of the idea that gravity bends light. Wouldn't the sun's own atmosphere act like a lens and bend light? We know that happens here on earth. Just look at the size of the moon or sun when high in the sky and compare it to size we see when either body is on the horizon. Atmospheric lensing is a real thing. So sorry if I don't buy the idea that gravity bends light.
Yeah, the pulsar phenomon.

I've heard of the calculations taking into account of Earth's atmosphere, but I'm not sure about the solar atmosphere. Since photons are supposed to be massless, the pull of gravity shouldn't affect them. If gravity does bend photon paths, that could support the theory of curvature of space in a gravity field... or maybe a highly electrically charged object (like a star) may be bending photon paths. On a more galactic level, large gas clouds could also cause lensing.