Debate Stephen Hawking makes it clear: There is no God

Ayasano

I think Stephen Hawking is just so bitter about his circumstances in this life that he harbors a hatred of God... As the old saying goes, their are no atheists in a fox hole.

To hate something, you have to believe it exists, which atheists by definition don't. You're basically saying that he has to actively hate every single god or goddess ever conceived in order to not believe in them, which is obviously a fallacy. Remember that your god is not the only possible god.

Also, you have to remember that when he was diagnosed, he was given 2 years to live. Did he give up on life? No, he kept fighting and is still here 50 years later. Hawking is one of the strongest, most life loving people on the planet. He devotes whatever time he has left to moving the human race forward. In my eyes that makes him a far better person than most religious people.

titorite

Well , do you know that my god is your god is his god is all god?

God is God regardless. Hate him or love him your gonna go back to him. From God we came and to God we return. Hawkings Says their is no God. Indifference is a big snub. You say he doesn't hate God? ..... well... I disagree. He doesn't fear God thats for sure. He doesn't love God thats for sure. But all atheists have issues with God. Their way of dealing with it is to say their is no God. No miracles. That we all exist for no reason. That life itself is meaningless and futile in all forms. Consciousness is an accidental by product of random happenstance of nothingness that for no reason at all decided to be more than nothingness.

Atheists can say they don't hate what they don't believe in but ignoring someone to the point of pretending they don't exist can be a most sincere form of hatred.

Ayasano

God is God regardless. Hate him or love him your gonna go back to him. From God we came and to God we return. Hawkings Says their is no God. Indifference is a big snub. You say he doesn't hate God? ..... well... I disagree. He doesn't fear God thats for sure. He doesn't love God thats for sure. But all atheists have issues with God. Their way of dealing with it is to say their is no God. No miracles. That we all exist for no reason. That life itself is meaningless and futile in all forms. Consciousness is an accidental by product of random happenstance of nothingness that for no reason at all decided to be more than nothingness.

Atheists can say they don't hate what they don't believe in but ignoring someone to the point of pretending they don't exist can be a most sincere form of hatred.

I am an atheist, and I don't believe life is meaningless or futile, the same as most other atheists. If I did, wouldn't I have committed suicide a long time ago? After all, I don't believe in heaven or hell, just cessation of existence. I was perfectly happy for billions of years before I was born, and I'll be perfectly happy for billions of years after I'm gone.

So why don't I just go off myself? Because life is awesome. There's a universe of beautiful things to see and amazing things to do, and it's not like things are going to run out before I'm gone. If your only reason for living life is because you think there's some prize at the end of it, then I honestly pity you. Enjoy life for what it is. It's about the journey, not the destination.

Now, as for "my god is your god is his god is all god"? You may believe that, but I don't. I believe your god doesn't exist, just as I believe Thor, Vishnu and all of the others don't exist. Some people believe in Thor, some in Vishnu, some people believe all gods/goddesses exist. And that's fine. We can both believe whatever we want to believe. Just don't assert that because somebody doesn't believe in your particular god, they hate life and think the world is meaningless, blah blah blah. I value life well enough without needing to justify it through religion, thank you very much.

Khaos

where the wild things are

Normally I don't bother responding to religious zealots like yourself, because like some atheists, you're a hypocrite.

You talk your talk about God and how great he is, and then at the same time you hate upon what you hate. You hate people who talk bad about your God. Well I hate it when people talk bad about me because I don't believe in your God. Actually I don't really talk bad about anyone's God, unless provoked.

I've met some really downright nasty ass atheists, I've met some genuinely nice atheists (like the one above me) and then I've met some really nasty ass religious, but then I've met some genuinely nice religious (Like PaulaJedi) but if there is anyone who picks fights more, from my personal experience, its the nasty ass religious. Because you don't like people who have a different opinion or a different viewpoint. There's only one God in your eyes and any other Gods are false idols, and you hate upon people. Yet at the same time, you "claim" to spread the message of love and joy, but yet hate. Just like you hate upon homosexuals (not saying you do, but others in your religion do)

In the end you are just as much of a hypocrite as atheists are. Because here you are, hating upon people who believe differently than you. And the hatred isn't profane or vulgar, its just you saying "atheists are dumb and live meaningless lives because they don't believe in god"

P.S. And in regards to your comment about God making me. Actually my mommy and daddy made me when they had sex many years ago. FYI.

P.P.S. I'm not an atheist btw, I used to be. But I've had personal experiences happen in recent years that have led me to believe there is something out there. I can't say its the flying spaghetti monster bringing love and joy, but there is something out there.

P.P.P.S Have you ever stopped to think that maybe people who live meaningless lives in your opinion are actually people who live life trying to find meaning to it? There are cases such as mine where a hardcore Atheist spends much of his life not believing only to have several divine intervention moments happen in his life, that causes him to believe that there may be something out there.

So its possible that a meaningless life liver is actually living a meaningful life, trying to find his path into believing in God. Bet you didn't think of that one, did ya. ;)

So we don't live meaningless lives. We go through life trying to find our own meaning. Some choose to believe, some don't. There's no problem with that. There's no law against not believing, and I hate it when someone like you acts like there is. Well if there is, please show me it. And it better not be the bible, or I'm going to slap you into the stone ages. Because the bible or quran or any other religious text is like trying to prove that a piece of dust is proof of ghosts.

Those religious texts were written by MAN not GOD. ;)

Last edited:

titorite

I am an atheist, and I don't believe life is meaningless or futile, the same as most other atheists. If I did, wouldn't I have committed suicide a long time ago? After all, I don't believe in heaven or hell, just cessation of existence. I was perfectly happy for billions of years before I was born, and I'll be perfectly happy for billions of years after I'm gone.

So why don't I just go off myself? Because life is awesome. There's a universe of beautiful things to see and amazing things to do, and it's not like things are going to run out before I'm gone. If your only reason for living life is because you think there's some prize at the end of it, then I honestly pity you. Enjoy life for what it is. It's about the journey, not the destination.

Now, as for "my god is your god is his god is all god"? You may believe that, but I don't. I believe your god doesn't exist, just as I believe Thor, Vishnu and all of the others don't exist. Some people believe in Thor, some in Vishnu, some people believe all gods/goddesses exist. And that's fine. We can both believe whatever we want to believe. Just don't assert that because somebody doesn't believe in your particular god, they hate life and think the world is meaningless, blah blah blah. I value life well enough without needing to justify it through religion, thank you very much.

I didn't say atheists hate life. I said they hated God.

And you keep saying "Your" God. If you really don't believe in God then why even say "Your God"?

Ayasano

I didn't say atheists hate life. I said they hated God.

And you keep saying "Your" God. If you really don't believe in God then why even say "Your God"?

You asserted that atheists find life without god meaningless and futile, which pretty much amounts to the same thing.

As to the reason why I keep saying "your god", it's to try and hammer home the point that not everyone believes in the same thing as you. The Abrahamic god is only one of many that people believe in. Your assertion that your god is their god and that they have to believe in your god is just plain arrogant. As I said before, people can believe in whatever they want.

titorite

Well you made an assumption about the hating life thing. How much faith do you have in assumptions? Just like your assumption that I subscribe to the abrahamic idea of the burning bush , kill issac God. That is not the God I know and love. I'm more of a Jesus as the master and God as everything and all ,... We tend to forget that we are not separate from our creator but just another part of him.

And you say "your God" to hammer in a point while at the same time professing that people can believe whatever they want. If people can believe whatever they want why do you feel the need hammer away at my beliefs about Atheists?

As I see it, we are all ruled by the same God regardless of our religion. Thats not arrogance thats faith in a belief.

Ayasano

Well you made an assumption about the hating life thing. How much faith do you have in assumptions? Just like your assumption that I subscribe to the abrahamic idea of the burning bush , kill issac God. That is not the God I know and love. I'm more of a Jesus as the master and God as everything and all ,... We tend to forget that we are not separate from our creator but just another part of him.

And you say "your God" to hammer in a point while at the same time professing that people can believe whatever they want. If people can believe whatever they want why do you feel the need hammer away at my beliefs about Atheists?

As I see it, we are all ruled by the same God regardless of our religion. Thats not arrogance thats faith in a belief.

Are you being purposely obtuse, or just not understanding my point? I wasn't "hammering away at your beliefs", I was hammering away at your assertions that everyone has to follow your beliefs, and that because I don't believe in god I must automatically believe life is meaningless and futile.

"God is God regardless. Hate him or love him your gonna go back to him."

As for my "assumption" I'll let your own words speak for themselves.

"But all atheists have issues with God. Their way of dealing with it is to say their is no God. No miracles. That we all exist for no reason. That life itself is meaningless and futile in all forms."

Need I say more?