Debate Stephen Hawking makes it clear: There is no God

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Yeah, I'm suspecting you're not going to surrender your religious beliefs that easily.

Ren wants me to read Caesar's Messiah, and I intend to, but getting me to read is like pulling teeth. I can't sit that long. I bought the digital copy of the book. Read 3 pages. Besides Jesus, you'd have a really hard time convincing me that we have no soul. So, I'd still be spiritual regardless.

I would never try to convince you that you have no soul. You do have a soul. And it is immortal. Immortality is an attribute of being a God. Think about it.

Why would a God give up memory of being immortal?

Perhaps being all seeing and all knowing isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Ayasano

The problem with Pascals Wager ("bet on both sides") is that it begs the question by asuming the Abhrahamic religions are correct. People seem to think Chrisatianity, Islam and Judaism are the only three religions in the world. There are plenty of religions that would would send you straight to their equivalent of hell for believing in an Abhrahamic god. (Think of the huge number of religions exclusive to tribes around the world, for starters)

Khaos

where the wild things are
But now science offers a more convincing explanation

And what is the convincing explanation? The big bang? Yeah its a good explanation but not very convincing, what created the big bang, how did the big bang create everything that allowed stars, galaxies, magnetic fields, planets to form? Why was the big bang created? What was its purpose? What was before the big bang? What comes after the big bang? Will there be another big bang? Has there been big bangs in the past?

I don't see science explaining any of that...

Ayasano

But now science offers a more convincing explanation

And what is the convincing explanation? The big bang? Yeah its a good explanation but not very convincing, what created the big bang, how did the big bang create everything that allowed stars, galaxies, magnetic fields, planets to form? Why was the big bang created? What was its purpose? What was before the big bang? What comes after the big bang? Will there be another big bang? Has there been big bangs in the past?

I don't see science explaining any of that...

Well, one explanation is that time is cyclical, or possibly infinite in both directions, with no beginning. People assume that the universe had to "begin" somewhere, but what if that isn't true? It comes down to the old argument of who created god? And if it's possible for god to be eternal and not created, why isn't it possible that the universe could be too?

kcwildman

Beastmaster
I just have one thing to say about this hawking fellow....
he is no smarter than you or I, he only has a different field of knowledge than we do..
a very wise man once told me, how smart or dumb you are, depends on where you happen to be at any given time..

Num7

Administrator
Staff
he is no smarter than you or I, he only has a different field of knowledge than we do..
a very wise man once told me, how smart or dumb you are, depends on where you happen to be at any given time..
Yeah. Different kinds of intelligence, I agree.

Justinian

I recently learned about 10 percenters. Or is it 5.. anyways. This guy wrote a book that basically says if you take 10% of all the religions in the world (pagan and the 3 big deals).. take the stuff that talks about being a good person. Then you'll have yourself a good person. Which in turn would probably give you a pretty good shot at getting into any of the so called, "Heavens" without believing fully in any single one.

Ayasano

I would actually disagree with this. You're mixing up knowledge with intelligence, they're not the same thing.

Intelligence is your ability to learn, understand and apply knowledge. You can have all the knowledge in the universe, but if you're not intelligent you won't be able to make any use of it. Intelligence can be learned, but it's a lot harder than simply reading a few books. Think of it like learning the notes in a song vs. actually having the necessary control of an instrument to play it well.

Rosco..Jones

Before we can decide upon whether God exists or not, we need to define what the God concept means. I myself believe in God, but do not agree with most religious viewpoints on who/what God is. Each persons views on what the term God represents depends upon their belief system and world view. We do create our Gods in our own image of what we believe God should be like. This often changes with time and changes in societies. As for myself, I believe that reality is multidimensional and time is simultaneous. There is no beginning or end to a multitude of 3D physical universes. All possibilities came into existence at once. The nature of what consciousness is changes as different dimensional frameworks are moved experienced. (See my posting on reincarnation)

God is a type of gestalt consciousness composed of all that is possible. God is not a finished product, perfect and static. What I consider God to be is so far removed from our physical reality that it would be something we are incapable of comprehending. We are each a part of God, just as your childhood self is a part of what you are now. God is not something removed and outside of ourselves. God is not some human looking being sitting on a thrown, desiring worship, with a believe in me or spend eternity in Hell attitude. That God does not exist except for those that believe that idea. God does exist for me, but in a way that fits with my beliefs on the nature of reality.

titorite

I think Stephen Hawking is just so bitter about his circumstances in this life that he harbors a hatred of God... As the old saying goes, their are no atheists in a fox hole.