Surviving the JT scenario.

Darkwolf

I am opening this beacause some of us have decided to take the Titor scenario as a possibility rather than a hoax. I think we should put anything related to survival here as a means of teaching the others on this board. This is not the place for debate on the veracity of his claims.
I think we should have some rules to keep us out of trouble. Mods, go ahead and add to these if you see something I missed. I just don't want to be seen as inciting rebellion.
#1 Tips should relate to survival escape and evasion only. No gurilla warfare or terrorism instructions.
#2 No calls to arms.
#3 No links to anything like the anarchist's cookbook.
#4 all refrences to weapons are understood to be for self defense only.

Lets start with John's five tips. Commentary mine.

1. Do not eat or use products from any animal that is fed and eats parts of its own dead.
Relates to CJD. Good advice.
2. Do not kiss or have intimate relations with anyone you do not know.

3. Learn basic sanitation and water purification.
I'd get a water purifier, plenty of extra filters, and some iodine tablets, also learn how to make a distilation system.

4. Be comfortable around firearms. Learn to shoot and clean a gun.
I'd also say have one.

5. Get a good first aid kit and learn to use it.
6. Find 5 people within 100 miles that you trust with your life and stay in contact with them.
7. Get a copy of the US Constitution and read it.
8. Eat less.
Stay in shape, you may have to put some distance behind you quickly and without a car.
9. Get a bicycle and two sets of spare tires. Ride it 10 miles a week.
10. Consider what you would bring with you if you had to leave your home in 10 min. and never return."

I would suggest a "bug out bag"

XDrFirefly

I've been working on this list for months now, When I finish some of my main points, i'll post them until then i'll give you a fairy nice webpage on survial.

Polar Shift Prep.

But I will leave you will these skills that you, or the 5 people that join ur clan should have.

1. Gardening
2. Hydroponics
3. Fish Farming
4. Energy production
5. Communication (Ham, Short Wave)
6. Cooking
7. Water supply
8. Education
9. Health & Dental care
10. Shelter Construction
11. Survival Skills
12. Child Care

Any advice please pass it alone.

Dr FF

ZeoEmeraude

Well, aside from looting and pillaging ala "The Postman", here are my tips to survive in a post nuclear world.

1. Learn basic gardening and horticulture: If you can grow your own food, you can live another day without having to resort to canibalism. It is also a good idea to know what plants can provide sustanence.

2. Water: learn to purify it, find it, and conserve it. Water is the element of life for a reason. Ya can live for a while without food, but not without water.

3. Know basic combat techniques: There will be a time when ya may have to fight for basic nessecities such as food, water, your life,or the occasional ciggarette. I suggest a quick study in hand to hand combat using military training from services such as the ARMY or Marines.

4. Know your friends and make sure you can trust them absolutely: If you were hanging over a pit of vipers, would you trust me to save your life? This is the same scenario you may face one day. If ya can't trust the ppl with you, you are as good as dead.

5. Build a secure sanctuary or settlement: When ya get a bunch of ppl who all seek the same goal together, progress and life will be abundant. If you can find a way to build a safe haven it not only keeps ppl safe from harm, but allows the ppl to build a community and survive with help from others.

6. Leadership: If ya got too many chiefs and not enuff indians, there will be turmoil. Leadership is important in deciding balance in a community.

7. Protection from looting and violent faction and or ppl: Know how to fight and do not be afraid to kill for your way of life. Know firearms and medievil weapons such as bows and arrows, and be sure to boobytrap your settlement to prevent unwanted guests. This is also helpful in the entrapment of wild game for nurishment needs.

8. Know your surroundings: Know every inch of where you are at all times. A good mapmaker would not go amiss in your camp.

9. Never rely on anyone but yourself: Self-suffeciency is key to maintaining personal health and longevity. If you can't make it one night in the woods by yourself, you are as good as gone.

10. Practice and prepare: Get first-aid kits, camping supplies, water, non-perishable food, and take at least 2 weeks out of a year to go into the wild and see how well you can survive on your own. This will help you in the event of catastrophe.

These are my 10 steps for survival. I am sure that I missed a lot, but one can never be fully prepared for situations such as the ones that we are talkin about.

__________ZeoEmeraude__________

Darkwolf

The first step we have to take here I think is to figure out what survival problems we face, and the environment in which we will operate.

Before there is a nuke problem, there is supposedly a gradually escelating civil war. For us guys on the street this means that we have to escape a repressive federal government, as well as avoiding being a collateral casualty of rebel actions. You should also consider that some of the types of dissident groups likely to be active in the early stages (Ayrian nation, Nation of Islam, Aztlan revolution front, ect) might for some reason consider you the enemy. Before you have to, have a comfortable backpack with everything you need to survive for a week on your own. (will cover bug out bag suggestions later, also keep in mind that this will be quite useful for any other situation in which you must abandon your home)
There are several questions you must ask yourself.
#1 what kind of environment will you find yourself in when you step out of your door?
Urban
Suburban
Exurban
Rural
Wilderness
Learn evasion tactics appropriate to that environment.

#2 Where do you plan to go?
One of your fiends
The woods
a homeless encampment
a small town with a friendly population
somwhere else
Now ask yourself what you will need and what will be available when you get there. adjust your supplies accordingly. Caching stuff ahead of time is a good idea but don't depend 100% on it being there, or being able to find it right away.

#3 How are you planning to get there.
Do you have to step out your back door to get to your mountain retreat, or do you have to get off of manhatten island, and go a hundred miles overland?
Walk
Bike
Hop a train
Anomolas public transport

#4 Is somone looking for you? If so what are they using to do so?
Thermal imaging
eyeballs
face reciognition
other weird electronic detectors
dogs
aircraft
patrols
roadblocks.
the device the aliens put up your nose when you were five

#5 What hazards do you face on your way?
Bandits
the people you were fleeing from in the first place
displaced desperate starving people
animals
dangerous terrain
your mother in law
the elements

#6 are there any areas on your way that you should avoid
federal faculities
overly populated areas
known operating areas of violent groups
easy ambush sites
areas with prisons in them.
anything worth protecting

#7 What will you need to do to keep alive once you get where you are going.
order pizza
farm
gather
hunt
"aquire" supplies
find work in a small town

#8 What other challanges do you face once you are at your location.
Security
eating
medical problems
social tension
rival groups
discovery
boredom

#9 Is this a simi perminent arrangement, or are you going to wonder for awhile?

#10 What is your backup escape plan in case you need to retreat from your retreat.
Keep the bag packed, have another site picked, and go through the thinking process all over again.

You should at least take courses or learn about
first aid
orenteering

Other than that, remember that the thing that is most important in seeing you through will be a positive mental attitude and determination. You WILL make it no matter how bleak the situation looks at any given moment. No matter how many times you have to abandon your shelters and find or make new ones, it will end and you will be alive and free to see it.

XDrFirefly

Re: Surviving the JT scenario.

Here a few good books to have in your collection.

Boyscouts of American Handbook

Newcomb's Wildflower Guide ISBN: 0316604429
The Illustrated Guide to Edible Wild Plants ISBN: 1585746614
A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants ISBN: 039592622X

I'd also get a old home medical book. I own a few from the 1800's A lot of useful stuff in least books...

Dr FF

Timmy G

?Boyscouts of American Handbook
An excellent choice.

Also, feel free to pick up any of the 'FIREFOX' books. They explain how to do & make almost everything.

XDrFirefly

I've been looking for alot of different books. I found that if you go to a backpacking store, there are tons of great books there.

Dr FF

Darkwolf

Also the army feild manual on survival escape evasion and resistance. That and the special forces handbook if you can get one. They are available but rare.

sinister

This site is a little freaky at times, but it is one of the best sources I've found written on the topics of survivalism, self-defense, etc. A lot of pro-gun stuff and fraud-related books, but they're the type of publisher that will put out anything as long as its good knowledge. *Paladin Press, for books on a lot of what you guys are talking about. I think all of the field manuals you mentioned are sold by these guys. *May be found online, try Google

Also, I know this is going to be a longshot, but has anyone here trained in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu/Ninjutsu or read anything by Masaaki Hatsumi. I am forever in debt to the people who teach this martial art in the states, i feel 150% more prepared for any type of survival situation thanks to this. Instincts are probably the most important thing in survival situations, and that was the cardinal thing they tried to train in Taijutsu. Just wondering if anyone else here took some classes.

Judge Bean

Isn't that the publisher who produces how-to manuals on bombs, lockpicking, and concealing your identity? I don't know if we want that link here.