Media "The Bible": Epic Mini-series now Airing on History Channel

TnWatchdog

I know. I wish someone out there would make a really great Bible story according to Scripture. With all the movie makers, you think one would surface. :(
I would want Cecil B DeMille...darn he is not with us anymore but I did like his movies. The Bible states that no one should change the words of the Bible or watch out...does that apply to movies? I would think it would as they are changing the written Word and preaching it via the big screen to the masses.
But the bible has been changed countless times over the years, i mean really since it was found it has been altered. So Hollywood isnt the only guilty party.
Hey Blast...I remember the verse from Revelation that talked about this sitution...
[19] And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
There may be a few that may be up the creek without a paddle but I am not going to cast a stone at them!

Samstwitch

The Bible Miniseries is still airing and has many inaccuracies, including famous sayings by Jesus. Example: The people were going to stone a Prostitute to death. When she was brought to Jesus, He said, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." (John 8:7) In the movie, Jesus says: "I'll give my stone to the first man who tells me he has never sinned."

Another example: At the Last Supper, Jesus said to Peter, "Truly I say to you, that this very night, before a rooster crows twice, you yourself will deny Me three times." (Mark 14:30) In the movie, Jesus says, "Before the dawn, you will deny me three times." :sick: These are really famous quotes that have been changed. 'Before the cock crows twice' is a very important aspect of when Peter denies Jesus.

Jesus is the Son of God, the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords...His words should not be changed! But in this world today, nothing is sacred anymore.

These things might seem trivial, but the movie has many things that are not in accord with the Scriptures. Still, I'm glad to see a new movie about Jesus. The popularity of it shows how people thirst for Him. I only wish they would portray Jesus more accurately.

TnWatchdog

One scholar takes issue with 'The Bible': 5 things the series got wrong

tv%20bible%20satan-88397492_v2.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

Joe Alblas / AP
"The Bible" didn't always stick to its inspiration.
By Randee Dawn, TODAY contributor
“The Bible” miniseries has truly brought in divine ratings for The History Channel these past few weeks. Despite at least one major road bump (Satan appeared in a black hooded robe and was promptly compared to President Barack Obama), the episodes -- which selectively feature certain stories in both the Old and New Testaments -- have been well received by millions of viewers every week. But as the series comes to a close Sunday, it’s worth asking – just how accurate was the series, in the end?

Telling the story of The Bible is a tricky business, said biblical scholar Dr. Peter E. Enns, who teaches Biblical Studies at Pennsylvania’s Eastern University. But it was clear, he notes, that series creators Mark Burnett and Roma Downey had an agenda – and that every episode they told had one goal: To get to the climax of Jesus’s life and death.

“They were focusing on the final stage of the Bible story, which is Christ’s appearance,” he said. “It’s all a buildup to that. They take a celebrity approach to The Bible, and highlight the figures people know and present them in ways that make it seem that when you get to Jesus, you’ll feel that this was how it was meant to be all along.”
That can lead to some problems with the series; for Enns, there were some clear issues with “The Bible."

Telling Samson’s story Samson is a “minor character in the Bible,” said Enns, but gets a lot of screen time in the series. Why? He’s a precursor to Christ, said Enns: He gave his life for the community, is unjustly treated, chained and blinded. “We’re seeing Jesus in preview form,” he said.
130328-Bible_Samson-5p.photoblog600.jpg

Joe Albas / A&E Television Network
Samson's major role in the series is probably because of his similarities to Christ.

Ninja angels Jesus again got a preview in the scene where three visitors meet Abraham on their way to destroying the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. “In the Bible, these three figures are clearly angelic divine figures, but it’s ambiguous,” said Enns. Instead, since one is referred to as “Lord,” the miniseries transformed him into a proto-Jesus, never clearly seen in the show, but highlighted as Christ. “In the Old Testament, that’s completely out of bounds,” said Enns. The other two angels are also problematic: “When the two angels in true ninja fashion take out swords and start swing-kicking, that’s a gratuitous moment.”
130328-Bible_Warrior.photoblog600.jpg

Joe Albas / A&E Television Network
The Warrior Angel could have doubled as a ninja.

Sarah wants to save her son Sarah running after her husband Abraham and son Isaac as Abraham takes him to be sacrificed to God was “stupid,” said Enns. “It’s what a mother would do, but Sarah is nowhere to be found in that sequence. They turn the scene into an ‘I want to save my boy!’ moment rather than a test of faith.”
130328-Bible_Abraham_Sarah-5p.photoblog600.jpg

Joe Alblas / A&E Television Network
Sarah's role in Abraham's aborted sacrifice of Isaac is extended in the miniseries.

Too many Caucasians Arguably, “The Bible” was more multicultural than many versions
have been in the past. But in 2013, the portrayal of characters with Scottish and British accents and clear European looks was just wrong, said Enns. “You have Mary who looks like someone you’d bump into at the water cooler and she speaks wonderful American English," he said. "It does not do justice to the foreignness of the story.”
130328-Bible-mary-joseph.photoblog600.jpg

Joe Alblas / A&E Television Network
Mary, seen here with Joseph, looked too all-American, said a biblical scholar.

Sympathy for the Devil While not precisely an inaccuracy, Enns gave a thumbs-down to the image of Satan and the resemblance to the president – a comparison he made after watching the episode. “What I thought was if the resemblance was not intentional, someone should have pointed it out,” he said. “It was a very unwise decision to leave it there like that. So many people noticed it immediately that it makes it hard to imagine no one on set did.”
All of that said Enns knows that retelling The Bible is a tricky business. “It’s impossible to please everybody with a show like this,” he said. “You talk about God, you’re going to make enemies, especially with the sacred book.”

Jeremiah

I'm a Christian man and a believer in the Bible. But I'm not your average Christian and I ask a lot of questions as well as take things with a grain of salt. The Bible has undergone many rewritings and translations. I think we have to keep that in mind. If Jesus actually said, "let the seas part" and someone says that he said "part the veil of these seas" or something....it's not important. What's important is the MESSAGE. Not the delivery. Lets not all bicker about minor details and instead focus on what God was trying to show us through Jesus.

Samstwitch

Filming the Bible.jpg
'Weird things happened': Bible producer Mark Burnett said the way the shooting came together 'perfectly' suggested the filming process was being overseen by God

'The hand of God was on this': Bible blockbuster's producer claims MIRACLES took place on set with mysterious visitor from the desert, plague of snakes and gust of wind as strong as Boeing 747

• Blockbuster series drew in 13million viewers for premiere last Sunday
  • Producer Mark Burnett claims filming was blessed with 'the hand of God'
  • Describes how gust of wind 'like a 747' blew up at crucial moment
  • 48 snakes were crawling around base of cross during crucifixion scene
  • Boy traveled across the desert after finding lost scrap of Jesus' cloak
Blockbuster miniseries The Bible has fast become one of the biggest hits on American TV, landing more than 13million viewers for its first episode.

But while its runaway success has taken the entertainment world by surprise, it has not come as a shock to its creators.

The producers have revealed that during its production, the show seemed to be marked by mysterious omens which they claim are evidence of 'the hand of God'.

These apparent miracles included a a sudden swarm of snakes around the base of the cross where Jesus was to be crucified, and a boy who emerged from the desert with part of Christ's costume which had been lost for four days.

British-born producer Mark Burnett told Entertainment Weekly that the series' success seemed almost preordained while it was being made.

'The hand of God was on this,' he said in an interview before the show's premiere last Sunday. 'The edit came together perfectly, the actors came together perfectly, it just comes to life.'

However, he claimed that it was not just the fact that filming in North Africa went smoothly that convinced him his production was blessed.

Mr Burnett, who is most famous for creating reality shows such as Survivor and produced The Bible along with his actress wife Roma Downey, described a number of 'weird things' which drew the attention of cast and crew during filming.

In one scene, filmed during a still night on the edge of the desert, Jesus tells the priest Nicodemus, 'The Holy Spirit is like the wind.'

According to Mr Burnett: 'At that moment, a wind, like as if a 747 was taking off, blew his hair, almost blew the set over and sustained for 20 seconds across the desert.

'Everyone just looked at everyone like, "What just happened?"'

Another notable occasion came during the filming of Jesus' crucifixion - one of the most risky scenes, due to the dangers involved in the mock execution.

The production had hired a 'snake wrangler' to keep the set free of dangerous reptiles, and he usually found one of two snakes per day.

But on the day the crucifixion was filmed, according to Mr Burnett, the handler found an unprecedented 48 venomous snakes crawling around the mountain.

Perhaps the most inexplicable happening came while they were filming the baptism of Jesus in a reservoir.

The producers were terrified when part of the actor's irreplaceable costume came off and floated away - but help came from an unlikely source.

'Four days later, a kid showed up from many, many, many miles away, who had been seeking us through the desert to return this to us,' Mr Burnett told EW.

'He didn't know what it was why he should seek us, but he felt he had to return it.'

The Bible is airing on the History Channel in two-hour chunks on Sunday nights, and has been the surprise winner in its time slot.

The series will air its finale on March 31, Easter Sunday.

CLICK ME TO SEE ARTICLE, PHOTOS, AND VIDEO!

TnWatchdog

Blockbuster series drew in 13million viewers for premiere last Sunday...Unfortunately a cheapskate like me couldn't watch the show, no cable...but I will be getting the DVD this Tuesday...lol
It looks like a pretty good show.