Media "The Bible": Epic Mini-series now Airing on History Channel

Samstwitch

The History Channel is airing a 10-Hour Epic mini-series called "The Bible". Episodes are showing Sunday nights. Repeats are airing Wednesday nights (including tonight) and other days/times (check your local TV Guide). Here is an article from today.

'The Bible' debut blessed with great ratings

Ratings for "The Bible"? Heavenly.

The History Channel's miniseries bowed last Sunday night and led all shows in ratings; the premiere of the miniseries is the top cable entertainment telecast of 2013 so far, with more than 27 million total viewers. (The 8-10 PM initial airing drew 13.1 million total viewers -- 4.6 million of them in that sweet 25-54 range.)

"The Bible" performed well for the network's online properties as well, as History.com had its best day ever, and the series topped Twitter's trending topics in the lead-up to its debut, with celebrities also tweeting about it.

Nancy Dubuc, President of Entertainment and Media for A&E Networks, commented, "Clearly there is a nationwide groundswell that was waiting for this moment," and that's no surprise, given that the Bible itself is the best-selling book of all time -- and given the pedigree of the executive producers of "The Bible." Mark Burnett, of course, is the brains behind veritable TV institutions like "Survivor" and "The Apprentice," and his wife and co-producer, Roma Downey, is one of the series' only name stars. (Actor and voice-over artist Keith David narrates; Academy-Award winner Hans Zimmer is handling the score.)

Dubuc also credited the efforts of Burnett and Downey's "team" for the premiere's success, and it sounds like they've gone 360 in their attempts to get "The Bible" onto everyone's mind. The release of "The Bible" on DVD and Blu-Ray is set for April, and Burnett and Downey's tie-in book is already in stores.

The power couple is thrilled that the project, which they've worked on for four years now, is doing so well, calling its success "a tribute to all those who have helped us spread the Word." (Caps theirs.)

Ratings going forward may tell the same tale -- or, as "The Bible" moves away from some of the better-known narratives in Genesis (and/or the novelty wears off), the numbers may start to seem more lion's den than miracle. New episodes air each of the next four Sundays, up through Easter; "The Bible" will take audiences up through the Book of Revelation, and we're interested to see how CGI is going to cover that series of prophecies.

Octavusprime

I saw the preview while watching their new Viking show, which was amazing btw. It looks interesting.

I had to laugh when they showed Jesus, hand raised with a huge hole in it. Great visual but everyone knows they put the stakes through their wrists! Shame on you history channel, the hands won't support the weight of a body!

I look forward to seeing how they portray the events written in the bible.

TnWatchdog

Trailer is awesome...since I only have the regular channels with no cable, sob-sob...I will have wait for the DVD. It looks like great stories and super CGI was also done.

Samstwitch

TnWatchdog, you didn't miss a thing. I was very very disappointed with this movie :( , especially that it got high ratings (which shows people are interested in the stories of the Bible). The movie had many inaccuracies according to the Scripture, and poor everything (i.e., costumes, make-up, dialogue, directing, etc.).

BlastTyrant

TnWatchdog, you didn't miss a thing. I was very very disappointed with this movie :( , especially that it got high ratings (which shows people are interested in the stories of the Bible). The movie had many inaccuracies according to the Scripture, and poor everything (i.e., costumes, make-up, dialogue, directing, etc.).

That's Hollywood for you Sam 9/10 there "re-enactments" or "Based on actual facts" are complete BS and way over done, i watched the first part of it till The Walking Dead came on, and from the first half i can tell you right now it grabbed the attention of the Viewers with its 300 style action scenes and i am sure that was the goal. The authentication isn't relivant so long as the ratings are good.

I will be the first to admit had they followed the Scriptures 100% i would of been bored after the first 5 Minutes and changed it, i liked they started with Noah and telling his family the story in the Arc, but lets be honest the Bible is less than entertaining and if you put something like that onto TV it will Bomb.

They did this with a haunting in Connecticut and a few others and completely DESTROYED the actually events that happened in the Hollywood movies.
I saw the preview while watching their new Viking show, which was amazing btw. It looks interesting.

I had to laugh when they showed Jesus, hand raised with a huge hole in it. Great visual but everyone knows they put the stakes through their wrists! Shame on you history channel, the hands won't support the weight of a body!

I look forward to seeing how they portray the events written in the bible.
I have never understood why they insist the Nails were in his palms ether, the weight would of ripped his hands in 2.

Samstwitch

I will be the first to admit had they followed the Scriptures 100% i would of been bored after the first 5 Minutes and changed it, i liked they started with Noah and telling his family the story in the Arc, but lets be honest the Bible is less than entertaining and if you put something like that onto TV it will Bomb.

Actually, just the opposite is true. If Directors portrayed exactly what Scripture says, it would be much more exciting than their wrong version of what happened. That's what really gets me. One example: When Pharoah and his Army were chasing after the Hebrew slaves at the Red Sea, God caused a wall of fire to stop him, as Moses parted the Red Sea and led the people through the divided waters. But the wall of fire scene was totally omitted.

The stories in the Bible are very action-packed and exciting, IF Directors would only stick to Scripture, they would get a bigger audience. Another Example: In all the Jesus movies that I've seen, they ommitted many incredible Miracles, and almost always omit scenes where Angels appeared and brought messages from God or performed Miracles. :(

(Another example, which is never put in movies, and is kind of gross, so it's good they don't put it in Bible moves...Did you know...After Lot and his daughters fled Sodom and Gomorrah, after his wife was turned to stone for looking back upon the cities...his two daughters talked amongs themselves and, because there were no more men to marry, two nights in a row they got their father drunk and slept with him, so they could become pregnant and have children. :eek: There's so much excitement in the Bible that it's mind-blowing! Truth is stranger than fiction. )

TnWatchdog

Sadly Sam i am sure the True to Story will only get worse the longer the series is on.

I know. I wish someone out there would make a really great Bible story according to Scripture. With all the movie makers, you think one would surface. :(
I would want Cecil B DeMille...darn he is not with us anymore but I did like his movies. The Bible states that no one should change the words of the Bible or watch out...does that apply to movies? I would think it would as they are changing the written Word and preaching it via the big screen to the masses.

BlastTyrant

Sadly Sam i am sure the True to Story will only get worse the longer the series is on.

I know. I wish someone out there would make a really great Bible story according to Scripture. With all the movie makers, you think one would surface. :(
I would want Cecil B DeMille...darn he is not with us anymore but I did like his movies. The Bible states that no one should change the words of the Bible or watch out...does that apply to movies? I would think it would as they are changing the written Word and preaching it via the big screen to the masses.
But the bible has been changed countless times over the years, i mean really since it was found it has been altered. So Hollywood isnt the only guilty party.