The Discord Chatroom: Use It Or Lose It

taykair

TO: Num7, High Commander of the USS Paranormalis

SUBJECT: Why in the hell do we bother having a chatroom?

Sir,

It has come to my attention that the Discord chatroom - that marvel of technology - is being severely underutilized.

[In fact, this came to my attention about two days after it was started, but due to my disability - LAPD (Lazy-Ass Procrastinator Disorder) - I am only now bringing it to your attention. Sorry.]

One would think, with so many folks here who just love to post at the forum, that there would be dozens and dozens who would enjoy talking past each other and misunderstanding what others are saying - which is the very essence of chatroom discourse.

And yet, almost every time I go there, the place is uninhabited. Empty. Deserted. Devoid of corporeal life. A lonely, barren wasteland where...

You get the idea.

It's not that I prefer chat to posting on the forum. I don't. I find it much harder to quickly come up with a smart-ass remark on the fly rather than take my time and think about what it is I'm going to say. I'd much rather mull over my remarks for a time - thus producing the masterpieces of modern literature which my adoring public has come to expect from me.

But I mean, damn! If nobody's going to take advantage of the room, then why have it at all?

Sincerely (more or less),

Taykair - LM/RJ

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Hi,

The chat is pretty slow indeed, but somewhat like the forum , it's because it's summer time. That happens every year.

The chat is there, it's free and it requires no maintenance whatsoever... Why not keep it?

Let's see what others think.

titorite

I miss the old chat room and I also miss the arcade.....

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Don't worry, setting up Discord with the forum wasn't a huge deal of work. It's the most compatible and user-friendly solution that's available for xenforo.

titorite

I know the original chatroom did indeed take more work. I have my own discord too. It is super user friendly..... But I still miss our old embedded chat...…. I dont know what to say. It seemed more inviting , more with it... more apart of this rather than this addon anyone of us can do.... Sigh... times change I guess but I miss the old stuff.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I understand. I'll check what new chat add-ons are available when I have a few minutes.

Mayhem

Zenith
As a few know here i have my own discord server as well, I find it much better than the old chat.

As there can be separate categories set and filled with tabs for different subjects.

I think i have about 25 different tabs.

The live chat feature plus, the ability to be able to section off areas for certain members is a bonus.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Had a few minutes and created a bunch of new channels on Discord. I'll look into the voice chat when I have more time this week.

taykair

It would be nice if some of the regulars here would "take back" the chat room so that it would no longer be used by a certain member as a recruitment station for luring folks away to another site.

Oh, well. Cultists gotta recruit, I guess.