The Military

lastdyingtree

The Military

My full respect goes to anybody who would actually make the choice to fight for the good of the country. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and I think it'd be best if that head was still attached to your shoulders.
:lol:
I'm not so sure this would be the war that I would enlist during, but my scope of understanding when it comes to military is slim. I'm also not a foreign policy expert, either; however judging from the way things look over in Iraq (which I'm almost positive is where they're going to want you) it would seem a very dangerous and costly mission. My politics aside, something everyone can agree on is that you do have a family and are still relatively young.
So you're making the right choice in deciding to take everything "slowly" when it comes to this important decision. I probably couldn't do it, so you're much braver than I.
Chris

Unintentional

The Military

First of all, remeber at all times, recruiters lie. Oh, they have guidelines about what they can not lie about, but other than that they can pretty much say whatever they want.

As far as military preferring to promote from within...HA HA HA HA HA HA! I was in the Navy, one tour on an Aircraft Carrier on one tour on a Detroyer Tender, both very big ships with thousands of officers. I can only recall 4 officers that used to be enlisted. One I worked with and the other three were friend of a friend of a friend kind of thing.

Once you enlist, you are at the mercy of the military. Why should they give you a commission when they have a CONTRACT with you for so many years as an enlisted person? It doesn't make sense.

Since you do have a two year degree, go see ROTC or AF-ROTC as seems to be the majority opinion here, about filling out that 2 year degree to a 4 year degree and have THEM pay 100% of your education bill with a guaranteed commission at the end. However, when you do this, if you drop out, you may be stuck with a contract having you serve so many years as an enlisted.

Then again it has been almost 10 years since I have been out and things might have changed since then. I do know that if someone had a two year degree and was looking to enlist, you would be so barraded by recruiters offering you the above deal, you would have to put them on your call blocking list to get your phone to stop ringing constantly. Ten years ago, that is.