The Pope's neverending death

Cornelia

Re: The Pope's neverending death

Come on buckaroo, thank God you aren't here in ROME.

There are army trucks all around, trying to give water and food to ONE MILLION people amassing in the center of the City. There are helicopters flying in the sky, most road are closed and we can't even go to work; tomorrow are expected 3 MILLIONS more people, doubling the city capacity.
People in line to see the dead Pope (which is a catholic tradition, not an horror movie) are expected to wait 12 HOURS just to see him for 30 seconds. At the main station are arriving 100 special trains per day until tomorrow evening. All around the city, the Army and the Civil Rescue are building campings for hundred of thousands of backpackers. Private traffic is prohibited for the whole day of Friday, and us roman citizen can choose between foot, public transport or stay at home.
On Friday, there will be 200 Heads of States, kings, queens, presidents, premiers, from USA, Iran, Syria, China, Israel and all around the world. It will be the biggest Security concern in history. The sky will be closed, drones and attack helicopters will fly all day long.

You are very lucky to get bored by TV only! :lol:

lastdyingtree

Frankly I'm sick of non-news being news for such a long period of time too.The death of the pope was a tragic thing for millions of people, however it's over now...so let them grieve and let the news media move on. I don't mind it being a news story still, just don't make it the ONLY news story. It seems that our news networks are no better than those of the old soviet union. You can appearently only handle ONE news story at a time. Be it Terri Shiavo, the Tsunami (That was major news, but I'm sure they milked it a bit too long), the elections, whatever. I'd rather hear about what our boys are doing in Iraq, what Bush is scheming next, and where our country is supposedly heading for this next term he has.
Is my or Crosstika's whining going to end this? Doubtful. But that's what this thread was for.
Chris

DadOf5

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Crosstika\")</div>
This board's pretty strict.[/b]

Not really. Mostly people have been pointing out that you have many, many different options in regards to your entertainment. The choice is really yours whether you want to watch/read/listen to coverage of the Pope's passing. It does hold some interest for some people, so why deny them? Complaining about it really won't make a difference you know, except to highlight the fact that you like to complain.;)

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Cornelia\")</div>

There are army trucks all around, trying to give water and food to ONE MILLION people amassing in the center of the City. There are helicopters flying in the sky, most road are closed and we can't even go to work; tomorrow are expected 3 MILLIONS more people, doubling the city capacity.
People in line to see the dead Pope (which is a catholic tradition, not an horror movie) are expected to wait 12 HOURS just to see him for 30 seconds. At the main station are arriving 100 special trains per day until tomorrow evening. All around the city, the Army and the Civil Rescue are building campings for hundred of thousands of backpackers. Private traffic is prohibited for the whole day of Friday, and us roman citizen can choose between foot, public transport or stay at home.
On Friday, there will be 200 Heads of States, kings, queens, presidents, premiers, from USA, Iran, Syria, China, Israel and all around the world. It will be the biggest Security concern in history. The sky will be closed, drones and attack helicopters will fly all day long.

You are very lucky to get bored by TV only! :lol:[/b]

I was doing fine this morning, minding my own business, untill I was hit with Cornelia's 'Buckaroo' which caused me to learn very quickly how to perform a self-heimlich maneuver, which in itself is a riot to watch, beset with hemialgia and tears from laughing so hard, I fell of my chair which added to the festivities... Somehow, the word Buckaroo spoken with an Italian accent so early in the morning, can be very dangerous.

PyRo99

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Cornelia\")</div>

You are very lucky to get bored by TV only! :lol:[/b]

Sh1t Corny, I was wondering where you went. Was wondering what it was like in Italy at the time.

Thanks for telling us haha. Wow, I'm glad I'm not in Italy right now.:grin:

Crosstika

BREAKING NEWS: THIS JUST IN...

.the popes still dead.:grin:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"DadOf5\")</div>
Complaining about it really won't make a difference you know, except to highlight the fact that you like to complain.;)[/b]

Really, if it makes me feel better what's the problemo?

Judge Bean

I, too, laughed greatly, and without a shred of malice or mockery, at Cornelia's Buckaroo, and wished for nothing more in life at the moment than to hear her call me a Buckaroo, and in person!

Not in my lifetime, or the Pope's, but maybe in yours.

The Popefest reminds me of the maudlin, interminable Reagan one. Notice they didn't do much of this when Nixon died, or the previous couple of Popes. They do this when a great leader dies, or one they think is great. TV is the place we do all the big, important things as a culture. Without TV, it's as though nothing has occurred: this is why the current vital literature is on the internet on blogs and the Time Travel Forum-- it's writing on TV.

Of course, it has been mentioned that it is a very dangerous funeral to attend. The "one grenade" potential is almost too great for terrorists to bypass: they can get all of the Crusaders and supporters of Israel in one place at one time.

If the place does get attacked, and lots of people are killed, though, my guess is that they will be ordinary people, not Great Satans.

Crosstika: Why the dependence on TV, and on the precise amount of coverage given to any single event?

Harte

I'd rather watch the dead Pope than the undead Michael Jackson. Or Scott Peterson for that matter. I mean, what if the Pope pulls a Khomeini? He is just laying out there. A little pushing and shoving is all it would take. Wouldn't want to miss the Pope rolling down the Via.

Crosstika

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Paul J. Lyon\")</div>
Crosstika: Why the dependence on TV, and on the precise amount of coverage given to any single event?[/b]

i like news