Three Laws of Chronodynamics

JRSpencer

Re: Three Laws of Chronodynamics

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Chronodynamic Jim\")</div>
JRSpencer, I thought I explained myself with my other longwinded post, but your response gives me doubt. So, let me be frank. According to the Chronodynamic Laws, altering events be they past present or future is Not Possible. Under any circumstances. To understand, try re-telling your story without making use of parralel universes, divergent timelines or other such nonsense. Refer back to the section on First Law in my above post.

Or ask Lucidus to explain it.

Oh, and re-read my alian invasion story untill you see why the ending Lucidus gave was inevitable.[/b]

I know Lucidus's ending is inevitable. I was just entertaining the possibility of any thing and all things happening.

I guess I know not to tap dance around you any longer, Chrono. These three laws are written in stone. I might get out of this thread. *Smirk* Richly entertaining. About that comment concerning free will and getting hit by a city bus, a person could also exercise their free will and stay home. If they are that scared they'll stay home.

(Unless that folowing day they get a call from a family member or a friend in an urgent situation and go dashing out the house, not look where they're going and is hit by the bus. That amounts to unfortunate luck.)

Wow. You're right. All hail Chronodynamic Jim and his quantum wisdom.

thenumbersix

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Chronodynamic Jim\")</div>
Third Law
Law of Conservation of Causality

Cause MUST preceed Effect, but may seem to do so to the Staionary Observer

[/b]
Conservation of causality ? Is there even an energy transfer here, if so how long is it willing to wait for effect, butterflys' wing and hurricane ?

Effects are immediate in life, make a wrong turn and the results are usually quite quick yet seldom devestating, depending on how silly the risks in the first place. There's always a way out though, however thin, I guess that's our free will really earning its' keep...

Chronodynamic Jim

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth will leave two blind and toothless men.

Actually, it will leave two men without depth-perception, and one missing tooth. Unless of course you are assuming the two men are pirates, starting out with only one eye and tooth. :)

Arrr!

You want to criticise me Buddy, at least make sure your quirky little signature makes sense. ;)

StarLord

Actually Jim, I think that is a perfect way to portray Karma. If you owe, you pay in a perfect balance.

thenumbersix

heheh, you don't actually think someone willing to take anothers' eye or tooth would stop at just one do you ?

I thought I was agreeing with your 'laws' (am an anarchist, don't believe in laws of anything), was a bit steamed, please address my comments, am interested in the reasoning behind them.

Lucidus

A chronodynamically correct version of The Time Machine.

Our story starts with a physicist who I will call Guy (Pierce). Guy is in love with Emma, at least I think that was her name. Anyway Guy decides to ask Emma to marry him, so he arranges to meet her at the park where he will propose and give her a ring. He goes to the park but Emma never shows up. Later he learns that she has died in an accident involving a carriage. The strange thing is that witnesses to the accident report having seen Guy there, but he knows for fact that he wasn't there.

Guy decides to use his knowledge of physics to create a time machine and save Emma. But he realizes that there is a delima here. He apparently caused Emma's death by interfering before because if his older self had not lead Emma away from the park she would not have been killed by the carriage. But he also reasons that there must have been some reason why his older self decided to time travel in the first place. He concludes that there must have been an original timeline in which Emma died in the park and that his older self was trying to save her. This is where he makes a classical time travel mistake. There is no "original" timeline or "altered" timeline, there is only the timeline as he remembers it.

He works for four years and finally creates a working time machine. He travels back in time to day that he was to meet Emma in the park. He meets Emma and excitedly leads her away from the park believing that he has saved her from some danger there. But he knows that he has not saved her from the carriage yet. Because his younger self was not present at the accident, he has no knowledge of how to avoid it but he figures that he can simply avoid all carriages. He puts Emma in a safe place and tells her stay there while he goes accross the street to purchase some flowers for her. Emma, unaware of any impending danger, wanders out onto the sidewalk and is struck and killed by a carriage.

Guy is devestated but has learned from his mistakes. He realizes that time travel is more complex than he thought, and decides to go to the future to learn more about chronodynamics before making another attempt to save Emma. He travels a couple of hundred years into the future and drops by the library. He fails to find any useful information.( Apparently, the NYC library doesn't have this thread archived. :)) He decides to go farther into in the future and is eventually knocked out by falling debris and ends up sometime around 800,000 years in the future.

Here he encounters a stone age culture called the Eloi. He also learns that the Eloi are just cattle for the more highly evolved Morlocks( I say more highly evolved because the Morlocks specialize, there are separate sub-species of hunters and administrators whereas the Eloi appear to be similar the humans of 800,000 years earlier.) He falls in love with one of the Eloi females. (Emma who?) Predictably enough, his new squeeze is harvested by the Morlocks and he goes to save her. He infiltrates the Morlocks' lair and meets the most intelligent character in the entire story, the uber-Morlock( who I'll call Morrie). Sadly, his new girlfriend is already part of the Morlock buffet.( In the hollywood version, she is held prisoner for breeding purposes. But this doesn't make any sense. If the Eloi and Morlocks are two separate species they would not be able to interbreed. If they did interbreed then after a few generations they would be phenotipically indistinguishable from each other.) Morrie apologizes for having Guy's girlfriend for lunch but offers Guy a lesson in chronodynamics as a peace offering.

Morrie explains to Guy the Three Laws of Chronodynamics and tells Guy that because there is no record of Guy ever returning to his own time, he will never return. Guy gets angry and threatens Morrie. Morrie then expains that he is the leader of the local Morlocks and warns that without him the hunter-Morlocks will quickly deplete the local Eloi population.

Guy foolishly attacks Morrie anyway. After a brief fight on the time machine Morrie is killed. Guy stops the time machine in the future and realizes that Morrie was right, the hunter-Morlocks have completely destroyed the Eloi and in desperation have started to feed on any and everything in the local area.

Guy decides to travel back in time once more to destroy the remaining Morlocks. ( totally ingoring everything Morrie has tried to teach him.) Guy decides to use the time machine as a weapon to destoy the Morlocks. He will lose the time machine but maybe he can kill the Morlocks. This is his biggest blunder yet. If Guy would think about the laws of chronodynamics, he would realize that sacrificing his time machine will not change the future that he has seen. But he foolishly proceeds and destroys his time machine and ,as far as he knows, all the Morlocks.

Guy lives with the Eloi for a number of years thinking that he has successfully eliminated the Morlocks. Occasionally Eloi go missing. No one knows if they simply got lost or injured or if the dreaded Morlocks are still out there. Eventually the Eloi's worst fears are realized, the Morlocks are back! And now without the uber-Morlock to direct them, they hunt the Eloi to extinction. One day, as Guy is captured by the Morlocks, he feels the pangs of regret for destroying his time machine and for not heeding Morrie's warning.

Lucidus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"thenumbersix\")</div>
True, yet other participants are going thorugh their own universe, they have no memory of you jumping between realities as you've always been where you are in their own version of the truth.[/b]

As I understand it, Chronodynamics assumes that there is only one universe. The one we observe here. Therefore, the Three laws are not applicable to multiple universes.

Definitely, the event is singular. The traveller can only experience that event once though, and at that precise time.

No, even though the event is singular the traveller may experience it any number of times.

Conservation of causality ? Is there even an energy transfer here, if so how long is it willing to wait for effect, butterflys' wing and hurricane ?

Effects are immediate in life, make a wrong turn and the results are usually quite quick yet seldom devestating, depending on how silly the risks in the first place. There's always a way out though, however thin, I guess that's our free will really earning its' keep...

Yes, this works exactly the same way as normal cause and effect, but because of time travel the effect may seem to occur first from the perspective of non-time travellers.

P.S. I am not trying to pick a fight here, but as an anarchist do you reject the laws of thermodynamics? Just curious.