Time and the Perception of Time

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Days go by too fast. I never have enough time to do anything. I think time is going faster but our perception of it hasn't changed. If our perception is the same, we will end up feeling like the days are shorter. And believe me, it feels that way to me. They say this happens more the older you are. Why? Why do we want to zoom quickly to our death? UGH. Time.... such a nuisance....

1662900427607.png

Beholder

If you watch television or anything that feels like old routine, time goes fast by not thinking actively, so a day feels like an hour. If you write a novel, time goes very slow while staring at the blank page and a day will feel like two days. As young, everything felt new like writing a book, but more and more things become routines on passive autopilot.

BlastTyrant

Days go by too fast. I never have enough time to do anything. I think time is going faster but our perception of it hasn't changed. If our perception is the same, we will end up feeling like the days are shorter. And believe me, it feels that way to me. They say this happens more the older you are. Why? Why do we want to zoom quickly to our death? UGH. Time.... such a nuisance....

View attachment 15433

I have mastered this to a extent lol so during the week i know little tricks to make time go by faster, watching tiktoks, instagram, etc while doing my work can make the day zoom by, on the weekends i wake up super early and go get everything i need done in the AM, i dont touch my phone or anything and i just slowly take in the rest of the day, makes my weekends seem waaaay longer. I actually woke up yesterday thinking it was Monday because i had managed to slow my life down enough on Saturday that it seemed like a few days had passed.

Harte

Time does go by faster the older you get.
Consider a newborn that is one hour old. After another hour, that newborn has just lived through his entire lifetime as it existed an hour ago.
To him, it took a lifetime to become two hours old.
You know time by experiencing time. Once you've experienced a lot of it, then the days (weeks, months, years) are shorter because they are less of a percentage of the time you've experienced.

Harte

Wind7

Staff
I went through a few watches over that 'Perception Thingy' in the past.

I stick with Analog watches for no particular reason,
I just like them better.

So, I've noticed when I get really busy and glance down at my watch,
it seems that the second hand has stopped moving, seconds later it starts back up again.

" Have I transcended the measurement of time or has my watch gone on the blink? "

;)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm currently 35. I noticed in the past 5 years that time goes by A LOT faster than before. A lot faster than when I was in my late 20s... To a point, it's kind of scary. Not sure what to make of it either.

Wake up, work, go to bed, repeat.

MODAT7

With my health problems, try suffering severe sleep deprivation even though I'm in bed half the day, have a constantly rotating sleep schedule, sleep deprivation causing long and short term memory problems, going through the day as the walking undead, sorta getting some things done but can't do more complicated projects very well anymore. I've been aging in accelerated dog years and don't know when I am anymore... and I'm wondering what happened to most of this year.