Video: Japan's New Goateed Geminoid Robot Is Uncomfortably Realistic

Num7

Administrator
Staff
The latest Geminoid robot is one of the most realistic, and thus creepiest, android we've ever seen. The skin, hair, goatee (!), and facial expressions are real enough to fool you for a few seconds while it sinks in that something very, very weird is going on.

This specific model is called the Geminoid DK, and it comes from the same studio that gave us the robotic actress, Geminoid F. The DK is the first Geminoid model that's based on a non-Japanese person (in this case, Associate Professor Henrik Scharfe of Denmark's Aalborg University) and also the first bearded model (if you consider a goatee a beard, which in my full-bearded opinion is debatable).

Isn't this a bit creepy ? Movements are jerky a bit and too fast, but the face looks pretty real, except for the eyes.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...ateed-geminoid-robot-guaranteed-freak-you-out

NerdyGilr3

Can be confusing if looking at it fast! Makes me think about that "clones" movie with Bruce Willis, Surrogates. We're almost there!

thedude

That is pretty neat. The aesthetics look pretty good and I actually don't mind the robotic movements so much. If they get anymore lifelike it will get scary.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, it looks like we're just about to see a robot that totally looks like a real human. This guy looked pretty real from the beginning to the end. I thought the movements were jerky compared to a human, but pretty groundbreaking for a robot though. Just look at the guy's smile! It looks real!

kcwildman

Beastmaster
wooo hoooo cherry 2000 here we go..... yep i go to stepford now:eek: come we go cheeta
i think now would be a good time for an elephant stampeed aaaaahhhhhhiiiieeeeaaahhh

kcwildman

Beastmaster
aaahhhh just a randome thought iffin they show us the demo whats the retail version like :eek: I'LL BE BACK ok guys I'll take a plasma rifel in the forty watt range