What if the world spent more on science then War

sinister

Re: What if the world spent more on science then War

War is just the natural extent of our basic fight or flight instinct. As our science and technology advances, so do our instincts become more refined. And the next thing you know, there's mini DVD players and war in the Middle East.

Observer

Ironside100,

I look for people who suffer from sever cases of the clevers. (I am an economic crimes analyst). I have the misfortune of being a little too clever myself and have landed my silly self in a lot of places that simply are too unimportant to show up on a National geographic map (Though don't you know that was just the brand of map I used to find my way to Basra...figures). There is an old army saying, probably first heard in Sumer. It usually goes something like this, "Never Volunteer for anything".

If you are a foe of "Big Government" you will probably not be too surprised at how many different career fields there are in the DoD. (Many replicated by other government agencies/branches). I cannot complain though, as I have been able to live on three continents and have been living the ancient Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times". Add into that curse "And places" and you have my last decade in a nutshell. I have worn both DCU's and a 3 piece tailored suit in the middle of the desert. Now that is simply bizarre. (I don't know which part is worse, that I had to dress up for a function in a tent, or that I actually packed the damn thing and had it available). I need to rethink my personal definition of "Interesting". I need a vacation.

Sinister,

I have never heard of the current war being associated with the advent of Mini-DVD's before. Somehow, that is insanely profound. (I am being serious). Excellent thought!

(Footnote - Preview or spell check PRIOR to posting...If I could only remember this)

sinister

Hahaha, I honestly can't remember posting that, but thank you. I guess its no wonder so many of the great writers were alcoholics =)

Mudpuppy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Snakey\")</div>
What do you think would happen if the world spent more on sciences then war?[/b]
Isn't the best defense a good offense? If we spent all our money on science than wouldn't we just have alot of smart people with no defense system in place? Some defense is neccessary so that we can actually have smart people running around. What good is science when all the scientists are dead?:unsure:

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Observer\")</div>
Ironside100,

I look for people who suffer from sever cases of the clevers. (I am an economic crimes analyst). I have the misfortune of being a little too clever myself and have landed my silly self in a lot of places that simply are too unimportant to show up on a National geographic map (Though don't you know that was just the brand of map I used to find my way to Basra...figures). There is an old army saying, probably first heard in Sumer. It usually goes something like this, \"Never Volunteer for anything\".

If you are a foe of \"Big Government\" you will probably not be too surprised at how many different career fields there are in the DoD. (Many replicated by other government agencies/branches). I cannot complain though, as I have been able to live on three continents and have been living the ancient Chinese curse \"May you live in interesting times\". Add into that curse \"And places\" and you have my last decade in a nutshell. I have worn both DCU's and a 3 piece tailored suit in the middle of the desert. Now that is simply bizarre. (I don't know which part is worse, that I had to dress up for a function in a tent, or that I actually packed the damn thing and had it available). I need to rethink my personal definition of \"Interesting\". I need a vacation.
[/b]

Not to mention all those 'think-tank' and Black project gigs. Not bad duty if you can get it. I have heard that there rests a rather surprising % in the nco ranks and some above that would rather defend the Constitution than the bozo leading this debacle. any thoughs?

Observer

I cannot (for obvious reasons...Good Evening No Such Agency
wink.gif
) say anything derogatory about our beloved CIC.

I can say that I have been surrounded by GI's since 1996 in some interesting situations. There has been many, many hours of complete boredom where just about every topic under the sun is discussed. From reading some forums in this web site, I see so many clueless people talking about US Soldiers (That would be your sons, Brothers, Fathers, etc...) taking up arms against their fellow Americans. I think (This is my personal opinion, and does not reflect the opinion one way or the other of any official government organization) that what one would see is a lot of "Failure to obey orders" or worse. Can I see Military going after domestic terrorist? (Yep, Can you say crips and bloods and all their related ilk?). Can I see them cleaning up some of the more obvious militia groups (You know, the ones that don't pay taxes, yet like to use every aspect of the society those taxes pay for, write fraudulent checks, credit fraud,etc...) Yep.

Going after you and your families because of some mythological "NWO"...get real.

In case anyone failed to notice, those in charge are not too fond of the UN. It was a great idea in the beginning, a sure way to get the US in the decision making role for the whole planet. When the smaller nations economies matured and the Soviets went bye bye (God, I miss the soviets...The CIA nut in Hudson hawk had it right) they decided to find some B#lls and are trying to do their own thing (EU = France + Germany). They are about 100 years too early, as it will probably take that long for them to stop thinking of themselves as "German" & "French" and start thinking of themselves as Europeans first, nationality second.

My .02 worth.

And finally, about the constitution. The creators of our nation could not have envisioned a consumer driven Capitalist society as we have now in the states. If they could have, the constitution would surely have had a lot less wriggle room. Our "leaders" will always change whatever they need to to remain in power. That is simply "Ruling 101". They (The majority of our elected officials) are all multi-millionaires. They rely on a consumer economy to keep them in the black. They rely on us (The citizens) to think they are necessary (Terrorism to Availability of the newest gadget). Nothing will change that. Money talks, BS walks. At the end of the day, people want their HDTV, DVD's, Freeways, Airlines, Working streetlights, Mega-malls, Walmart, etc...

The constitution has changed to match our cultures progression, and will change again. The only thing that worries me about that is our current situation. "Yes Men" are a dangerous thing to be surrounded by. It is bad for a democratic society (Or one like ours
wink.gif
) to function well if the President, Senate, House, and judiciary are all run by the same political party. I don't care which party. Either way it does not reflect the makeup of ALL Americans. Checks and balances are there for a reason. When they fail (Like they tried to do, and to my opinion did) like with the recent filibuster threat/compromise, the process, our government fails. Now we have a rubber stamp for a President that answers not to the people, but to his lobbyist. The other two branches marching in line.

Again, this is just my opinion. I do not speak for anyone else and do not represent the opinions or official policy of the United States Government. I speak only as an American that has seen our government in action, in noble causes and in some not so noble.

Regards (and apology for the long winded response)

Jim

sinister

well, you say forget the whole NWO thing, but I'm not sure you should be so quick to completely ignore that. You can't possibly deny the attrocities that are going on in regards to our warring in the Middle East. Why? They don't show them on popular media. If you look a little bit, you'll see that the war in the middle east, with all of our new technology, is pretty vicious. Torturing has been going on as well. Yes, the military is all our 'brothers, fathers, whatever', but guess what, I don't trust 95% of the people in this country. I have my friends and my family (none of who are in the military), and I trust them with my life. Okay fine, my dad is retired from the Air Force, there's a lot of military in my family but I don't mean 'active duty'. I have vast amounts of respect for someone who is willing to risk their life for patriotism. But that being said, if the military perceived a growing threat to the nation, I have no doubt that they would move to stop it, especially now that thanks to Bush, they can. Think about it in regards to the whole Titor thing. A growing loss of civil liberties (which is steadily growing as we speak), reaction by a group united and angry enough to strike back, so then what? Why wouldn't the military pick up arms against a revolution? We could argue all day about who's misguided and who's not in that whole proposed situation, but that doesn't change the fact.
And in reference to the whole NWO thing, all I'm going to say is, can't you see how events of fallen one after the other in perfect sequence to move us closer to that NWO vision. The UN is certainly NOT the extent of the NWO ideology in our country, look at the money, IMF, World Bank, WTO, NAFTA, etc. And if you agree that the Constitution wasn't meant for a modern world, then why don't we make a new one?

Observer

I have never been able to understand this love of the end of civilized society. Don't any of you like Pizza Delivery?

I wrote a very long response to Sinister, but have sent it in a PM instead. It really should be in another topic area, as it has no no bearing on Science spending or war. (At least not specifically) Maybe we should go to the conspiracy section, under NWO and continue this conversation?

Jim

Edit PS: We DO make a new constitution. Every time we make an amendment.

Arcadia

Even i agree that we can do away with war. There is so much in the world that needs funding. So much could be done to make this a better place. however... i once read this theory of always having an enemy. It says that every government wants to have an enemy in order to win elections, keep the public busy and have a cause to fight about. I somehow think that this may be right.

The media and politicians make small issues so big that it is assumed that this is something to kill for. It takes a lot to instil such a strong faith in someone that he is ready to kill. State sponsored terrorism is its smaller form and in the full bloom it becomes a war.

the_exterminator321

but think of this without science we wouldn't have the nuclear bomb so science caused the fear of getting hit by a nuclear bomb (not as much for me cause I'm Canadian and cause the only attack with 1 was in heroshiman and nagasaki)