What is time and how does it work?

Treversal

What is time and how does it work?

It is very frustrating to me to see so many people and including members here, wanting to build a real working Time Machine. If you were to ask these people, the question: What is time and how does it work? Not a single person could give you the correct answer.

The second question: If you do not know “what time is or how it works”, how are you going to build a real working Time Machine without that knowledge?

It looks like to me, everybody is wasting their time until they can answer the first question listed here. Once that is accomplished they will have insight to the second question. Only with working knowledge can anyone build a real Time Machine.

Professor Opmmur
To make a real working Time Machine I believe you have to make several leaps of faith and just cross your fingers that you are right. Unlike the shoulders Newton stood on we are probably generations away from having the work of those future geniuses to build upon.
What is time? I do not care. I do not need to know. Can we understand time or time travel or time machines in the 21st century? Probably not. Not in the traditional sense of experimentation, observation, adjustment and duplication. So, the question becomes has anyone already traveled in time either intentionally or accidentally?
Many people claim that they have. So, what is common in the stories they tell? And can you duplicate those conditions in an attempt to experience what they experienced? There are recurring themes in those tales and that makes the possible duplication and building of a working Time Machine possible through a reverse engineering of those experiences. I am truly surprised that there is nothing new in TT research over the last ten years and that no one has ever attempted to recreate Tesla's vision of, ‘I could see the past, present and future all at the same time.’

Kairos

To suppose that means we must discount what we understand about the universe. But, no, I don't think even then it would mean zero time. I think if you could travel at the speed of light, time would seem to be zero, just as if you got trapped in a black hole somehow without getting stretched out on the way in.

deliriousScientist

we are obseving present right now look at the stars in the sky you are looking in past take notes of all the things around you they will predict the future thats what i think that mean we can look in past present and prediction of future i guess thats what he meant in that quote

~delirious

Treversal

I know there no thing as absolute rest but suppose there is will time be zero this kills me from my childhood
Interesting. If you travel at C your time stops. If you travel at -C (complete rest) your time stops. This goes back to something that I have always believed, you can affect time with ultimate force - a black hole or with absolutely nothing at all - a whisper.

Kairos

There is no such thing as negative speed. Speed is not a direction. Velocity is a direction with a speed. Velocities are all relative to a frame of reference.

Treversal

There is no such thing as negative speed. Speed is not a direction. Velocity is a direction with a speed. Velocities are all relative to a frame of reference.
Since speed is the distance traveled per unit of time what is the speed in an area with slowed time?