Why In Heavens Name Faster Then The Speed Of Light

Ruben

Okay, there are many theory's on time travel, but the basic ingredient is the speed that is faster then light.

But honoustly, I don't understand why it has to be in such incredible speed...

I know that light has the fastest movement known to man, but why do we have to go so fast?

PS: I'm 13, so I might come over a bit dumb on this subject, but I'm so incredibly interested. And Donnie Darko messed up my mind :p

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

I'm certain this belongs elsewhere, so I'll move it and then you can carry on the debate there. :D

Unintentional

One theory of TT is that the faster you go, the slower you move through time. This has been experimentaly prover over and over again. When you are very near the speed of light, you are moving very slowly through time. At the speed of light you are going infinitely slow (i.e. stopped). It has been theorized that if you are traveling faster than light, you will travel backwards through time.

You needn't go this fast. The closer you are to a gravity field (techically mass) the slower you move through time. The stronger the field, the slower the time. This has also been proven experimentaly over and over again. With an infinite mass you will move infinitely slow (i.e. stopped). If you could have a "negative mass" (anti-matter?) or "negative gravity field", it has been theorized that you will travel backwards in time.

Ruben

Originally posted by Unintentional
One theory of TT is that the faster you go, the slower you move through time. This has been experimentaly prover over and over again. When you are very near the speed of light, you are moving very slowly through time. At the speed of light you are going infinitely slow (i.e. stopped). It has been theorized that if you are traveling faster than light, you will travel backwards through time.

You needn't go this fast. The closer you are to a gravity field (techically mass) the slower you move through time. The stronger the field, the slower the time. This has also been proven experimentaly over and over again. With an infinite mass you will move infinitely slow (i.e. stopped). If you could have a \"negative mass\" (anti-matter?) or \"negative gravity field\", it has been theorized that you will travel backwards in time.

Ah, so that is what Einstein was talking about. (I don't really get your second column, about the mass, sorry^-^;)

But back on that light speed -> So how faster you go, how slower you age. Wow, that is pretty hard to grasp, I mean, I just can't think of a logic explenation for that (but I believe that it's true).

And also, when I was told this the first time, I thought 'why not get zapped and get as small as an electron and move with light', lol :p

Okay, first of all, we don't have the machines for that, but hypoteticly speaking, if we had minimizing machines, we still couldn't transform in something that small. 'cause then we wouldn't exist anymore. A human as small as an electron is impossible, because then the atoms that we are made of doesn't exist anymore, since you can't make atoms smaller and then we don't have atoms anymore and that's plainly... crazy, impossible, madtalk, etc etc etc...

yeyeman9

There will be some sort of other way sometime that we might know yet. I am pretty sure of that, or atleast I hope so :).

hellrazor

lol what can go faster is the wave of energy that carrys the so called photons, even to make it vibrate, things that apear in physical form needs waves of energy to keep their form then their form keeps their energy into order, even entropy follows laws that can be bended and predicted if we knew every single detail about universe.

sam mower

Re: Why In Heavens Name Faster Then The Speed Of Light

So, let me ask you...
is the speed of light, that we must overcome (298.000 km/s), absolute or relative?
To elaborate: if we were driving in a car(60 mph), and we spit - inside the car in the moving direction with like ... 10mph. How fast is that spit going? can we say it's going 70 mph? Of course, if we speak of a absolute speed it's going 70mph, but relatively, inside it's own little quadrant it's only going 10mph. Even still, in the larger picture, earth is speeding through the universe with like 30km/second, so where does that leave our spit of interest?

hypotetical question: if we build a very large space ship, that can only go 60%of speed of light, and another smallish ship of same ability, but with incredibly high acceleration and put the small ship inside the big one and then achieve 60% of SoL with big one and inside send the small one(same moving vector of course), with it's 60% of SoL, then the result will show that both's ship relative speeds was 60% of SoL, but that smaller one actually achieved absoulte 120% of SoL.

So, let me ask you... (again)
is the speed of light, that we must overcome (298.000 km/s), absolute or relative?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Your ship within a ship theory is flawed I think...

If I'm in a car going 100 kmh, and I spit at 10 kmh, the spit is going 110 kmh right? Now, the spit only travels at that speed for a second or so. If that speed was maintained like in your spaceship theory, it'd smack into the window and stop it's travel.

sam mower

these are hypothesis.
that's why the first ship would have to be extremely long, and second would have to have extreme acceleration :)
also if the light speed barrier would have been breached, it wouldn't really matter how long it takse cause it would seemingly traver to the past, I guess.

I wonder, only of relative or absolute speed, that we take in consideration.

StarLord

I think that the very moment you actuallly get pass the speed of light you'll be way too busy turning to the alien sitting next to you and thanking him for taking you to the BBQ at Sirius to notice that you are actually going that fast.

Of course, you could keep a sharp eye on your Tang. If it gets a crazy tilt in that Venusian Celebration Goblet, then you know you have passed it. Caution, at all costs avoid Hi-C. Even though it's tasty and quite popular amongst the stars, imbibing Hi-C and passing the speed of light could be detrimental to your continued presence in the universe. The last human to try this just winked out like a lightbulb ans was never seen again.