Why In Heavens Name Faster Then The Speed Of Light

iooqxpooi

Re: Why In Heavens Name Faster Then The Speed Of Light

Ok...so let me just state something, as you approach the speed of light, your mass approaches infinity as your KE has to be infinity for you to be at the speed of light(E=mc^2, a handy equation if there ever was one). Now, your spaceship model is a good idea, but it is incorrect. If a man can throw a ball 60% the speed of light and he is in a spaceship going at 60% the speed of light, he can accelerate the ball to 120% the speed of light, right? But then he must observe the 60% as he is in the spaceship which is at 60%. Thus it is wrong (according to Relativity). And the proof? We must not think of the speed of light as a velocity, but as the energy needed to create it. Even if he is going at 19480980941098412098098124098124908214908241098124908 m/s, he must give it an infinite amount of energy to make it enough KE to get to the speed of light because of x+y=infinity iff(if and only if) x or y = infinity. :)

StarLord

Iggy,

Depending upon which 'space-time' is used as a reference wether it's Galilean Space Time or Minkowski Space Time makes a difference in solving this problem.

The really smart invisible people out there in the ethers say:" FTL is allowed provided that space-time metric of the Universe is Globaly Hyperbolic"

You problem of what to do with all that Kinetic Energy is not as hard as you think. Imagine if you will, a Space ahip that has the ability to not only manifest but ALSO contain a singularity in front of the ship. Regardless of the size the singularity WILL be contained. The singularity Draws the ship along, it's size determines the speed at which the ship travels. The kinetic energy is drained in proportion to the size / power needed of the containment field. Thus your exponential problem with Kinetic Energy is not only solved, it's excess is put to use.

P.S. That # you used is like warp 127 and would fry all the tribbles let alone burn out all the stop watches in the Galaxy.

darkbreed

I thought the speed of light is constant? so that if you are in said car and turning on a light within the car, the light beam is not travelling the speed of light + the speed of the car. At least in vacuum.

Also, how does the speed of the rotating earth affect our time? If a spacecraft was just floatin out in space, would the time be of much difference experienced by the ones in this craft than the people on Earth? And what about the difference between rotation speed of other planets and Earth, if people went to Mars or a moon or other planet for lets say 10 years? Would time be any different between these places? Would more or less time have passed for the people on this other planet?

KiraSjon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"darkbreed\")</div>
Also, how does the speed of the rotating earth affect our time? If a spacecraft was just floatin out in space, would the time be of much difference experienced by the ones in this craft than the people on Earth? And what about the difference between rotation speed of other planets and Earth, if people went to Mars or a moon or other planet for lets say 10 years? Would time be any different between these places? Would more or less time have passed for the people on this other planet?[/b]

Isn't that what time is? Our perception of existance's distance from one moment to the next?
What do you think about the twin paradox?

darkbreed

Hm well time is also related to movement and gravity. Like the spaceship with twin A inside travelling at almost the speed of light, where twin B is left on Earth. I mean, both experiences time the same way, but once they meet again they will see that time have been different, one have become older than the other.

And this is what i wonder if will happen for 2 people on 2 different planets as well. If the rotation speed and gravity of each of the planets play an large role in the experience of time between the 2?

iooqxpooi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"StarLord\")</div>
Iggy, ?

Depending upon which 'space-time' is used as a reference wether it's Galilean Space Time or Minkowski Space Time makes a difference in solving this problem.

The really smart invisible people out there in the ethers say:\" FTL is allowed provided that space-time metric of the Universe is Globaly Hyperbolic\"

You problem of what to do with all that Kinetic Energy is not as hard as you think. ?Imagine if you will, ?a Space ahip that has the ability to not only manifest but ALSO contain a singularity in front of the ship. ?Regardless of the size the singularity WILL be contained. ?The singularity Draws the ship along, it's size determines the speed at which the ship travels. ?The kinetic energy is drained in proportion to the size / power needed of the containment field. ?Thus your exponential problem with Kinetic Energy is not only solved, ?it's excess is put to use.

P.S. That # you used is like warp 127 and would fry all the tribbles let alone burn out all the stop watches in the Galaxy.[/b]
First off, what do you mean by draws the ship along? Second, a singularity isn't like a baseball, you can't carry it around. It is at one point and only one point, you can't move it. That's like picking up a single line on graph paper and playing with it on the graph paper. (moving it around) You would have to move the entire universe to move the singularity. So basically there is no speed involved unless you are watching from outside the universe. :)

preethi1986

someone in this thread said sth abt spitting at the speed of 10 m/s in a car which is moving at the speed of 100 m/s in the direction of the spitting would mean that the spit is travelling at the speed of 110 m/s. yes, this is true relative to the ground. but then, if you were to consider it relative to the sun or some other reference point in this or any universe, it'll be a totally different speed. so if time travel can be achieved by travelling faster than the speed of light, it will be very difficult to determine which reference point to use to measure velocity. somehow sth tells me that it would have to be the velocity that occurs due to the effort of the object itself, so for the spit, it's velocity is 10 m/s.

oh no. i don't think i am expressing myself properly. i am quite confused myself.

sam mower

when speeding towards the speed of light, mass approaches infinity. This fascinates me also. why do you think this happens? Is it the speed, that somehow breaks the molecular structure and kind of inflates it? is it strictly singularity, that makes it look (from our point of view only) like the mass is at multiple places at the same "time"? Or is it some brilliant theory that I haven't heard of and I'm just beeing a jackass?

iooqxpooi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"preethi1986\")</div>
someone in this thread said sth abt spitting at the speed of 10 m/s in a car which is moving at the speed of 100 m/s in the direction of the spitting would mean that the spit is travelling at the speed of 110 m/s. yes, this is true relative to the ground. but then, if you were to consider it relative to the sun or some other reference point in this or any universe, it'll be a totally different speed. so if time travel can be achieved by travelling faster than the speed of light, it will be very difficult to determine which reference point to use to measure velocity. somehow sth tells me that it would have to be the velocity that occurs due to the effort of the object itself, so for the spit, it's velocity is 10 m/s.

oh no. i don't think i am expressing myself properly. i am quite confused myself.[/b]

Well this is why we consider the speed of light a constant. If you throw a lightbulb at a wall, the light going towards the wall will not accelerate (but it would reach there faster, because of the lessening distance), because this would mean that it would have to be at a completely different energy level. If it accelerated, then its speed would be greater than the speed of light, requiring its energy to be greater than infinity. ;)

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"iooqxpooi\")</div>
First off, what do you mean by draws the ship along? Second, a singularity isn't like a baseball, you can't carry it around. It is at one point and only one point, you can't move it. That's like picking up a single line on graph paper and playing with it on the graph paper. (moving it around) You would have to move the entire universe to move the singularity. So basically there is no speed involved unless you are watching from outside the universe. :)[/b]

If you can contain it, and keep it small, you can move it any where you want. Isn't a singularity exactly like a black hole? Doesn't it attract physical mass towards it? So if you can manuever the back end of the 'ship' around, you can steer it and the universe can keep doing what it wants. It's like a carrot in front of a donkey, only in this case, the carrot can grow in size causing the donkey to run exponentially faster.