Debate Work freedom or modern slavery?

Beholder

Uber broke laws, duped police and secretly lobbied governments, leak reveals

In Sweden, the excuse against minimum wages is that employers can negotiate their own higher minimum salary using collective agreements. Problem is that it's more likely to see Bigfoot than a collective agreement, so companies can pay foreigners without access to welfare 1€ per day if they want to.

Some jobs such as voice acting can not be done full time for short projects, not all villages can have full time taxi drivers available 24/7, and there will be no full time jobs if upstarts can't grow with consultants, so it's not possible to just outlaw gigs completely.

Beholder

I'm confused over over your question. We definitely have different values. I see no value for tyrannical rule at all. Please tell me why you suggested otherwise.
If person A has total freedom to supress person B's freedoms, that is not freedom based on mutual respect and moderation.

Combined freedom = x * (1 - x), 0 <= x <= 1

Last edited:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
If person A has total freedom to supress person B's freedoms, that is not freedom based on mutual respect and moderation.

So it appears that you consider tyrannical rule to be freedom. I don't share that view. Take a look around the world. Tyrants are not liked anywhere. They usually wind up dead.

Beholder

So it appears that you consider tyrannical rule to be freedom. I don't share that view. Take a look around the world. Tyrants are not liked anywhere. They usually wind up dead.
I never supported tyrrany, just explained that freedom can not exist without rules. If you have total anarchy on paper, a local gangster will be your ruler in practice. I've both hired and worked as a consultant, which is sometimes necessary, but all occupations need rules of conduct to prevent slave like conditions with rape and fatal accidents. Freedoms come from constitutions and must be upheld all the way down to the people. Any power needs checks and balances to prevent bosses from hanging their new interns from gallows.

Last edited:

Mayhem

Zenith
I never supported tyrrany, just explained that freedom can not exist without rules. If you have total anarchy on paper, a local gangster will be your ruler in practice. I've both hired and worked as a consultant, which is sometimes necessary, but all occupations need rules of conduct to prevent slave like conditions with rape and fatal accidents. Freedoms come from constitutions and must be upheld all the way down to the people. Any power needs checks and balances to prevent bosses from hanging their new interns from gallows.
You could rise to a politician with those words :)

How long youd last depends on the actions allowable.

Beholder

You could rise to a politician with those words :)

How long youd last depends on the actions allowable.
TOF412.jpg

I allow it. I am the law.