Writing about writing

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I like writing. I often find myself fooling around in Evernote, Dropbox Paper, or Google Docs, trying to figure out which one of these editors offers the best environment for a writer. That doesn’t make me a writer, though. But apparently, it sort of makes me feel like one day, I could be one.

When attempting to write something, I always get distracted by little details, like the font and font size. Should I use Lato 12? It’s a nice font with good readability. Perhaps Garamond? It’s way more formal and serious but the characters are a little thinner. Isn’t it the font dictionaries are written in? Is my line spacing okay? Would 1.1 be better than 1? Is my Heading 2 big enough? Oh well…

In light of those distractions… Maybe I should use a totally distraction-free environment, like a basic text editor? Sublime Text is by far my favorite text editor ever. I’m great at using it for various tasks at work, like cleaning up messy text files and formatting data. Love the Regex engine, the multi-cursor mode, etc. Why not use that instead, to simply write?

Well, raw text editors are great when you need them. I love Sublime, I use it whenever I have a chance! But it's a little bit too raw for me. I'm surprised to say that, as I work in IT. I'm not afraid of editing stuff in Notepad, or of looking at walls of code. But for some reason, Sublime (and any other text editor, really) doesn’t inspire me. It’s a tool that’s great for a lot of things, but inspiration isn’t one of them.

When I talk about inspiration, it’s the inspiration to write something compelling, that comes from your heart and your soul. (Wow, apparently we’re getting pretty deep here) Sublime inspires me to write bullet-point lists for my next meeting and quick notes that I want to keep close. But that’s it. I don’t think I’m gonna write my memoirs there.

I kind of feel the same about tools like Writer by BigHugeLabs. Great distraction-free writing platform. But too arid for my taste. It does have a typewriter sound effect, which is cool. If you’re into writing tools and platforms, and also into typewriter sound effects, check it out though, it’s a great product.

Right now, I’m feeling pretty good. I’m writing this in Google Docs, Lato 12 in pageless mode. Feels good. Okay, between paragraphs, I switch the font to EB Garamond to see what my post looks like with “the dictionary font”. I’m probably kind of OCD, here, that can’t be good. Fine, let’s switch back to Lato for now. *sigh*

As I (still) fool around instead of writing anything, I’m reminded again and again that the tools you’re using are not relevant. Same for the fonts, font sizes, page format… They all come second to your content. They’re like packaging, to a product you consume. It’s cool that your favorite Doritos come in a nice, colorful bag. But in the end, you’re going to eat the Doritos, not the bag. Eh! I’ve known that for years, yet, here I am!

So in the end, find or create your writing environment. A place where you feel confident, inspired, and motivated to write. And write!

This is getting pretty long, isn’t it? A good sign, I hope.

Until next time!

--Num7

Originally posted on Num7's personal blog.

Last edited:

steven chiverton

writing first it was runing writing ive lernt at school but the faster i did the runing writing the more mistakes i made so i gave it up for printing and these days i type using complete office software i brought some time ago as the old WordPad was problematic so the complete office has spelling checker and i can add my own pictures into it to and even convert it to a simple to read pdf format

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, versatility is very important. Apps like good old WordPad are great, but it's still pretty basic. Being able to turn your document into a nice, clean PDF in a couple of clicks is a must-have. It's something I often struggle to do in Evernote. Printing to PDF is often a hit-and-miss thing. Mentioning this reminds me of Word 97... Remember when you'd slightly move an image, and it would completely screw up the rest of your document? Ah, good memories. I mean, PTSD!

On the Other hand, Google Docs and Dropbox Paper are much more apt at exporting to PDF. Same for Microsoft Ofice, of course.

Spell-checking is also a prime feature, here. I personally use Grammarly for English spell-checking, it's a Google Chrome addon that's available for free. It's served me well for many years now. A great tool to rely on.

steven chiverton

yes and sometimes if i get a letter wrong spell checker then comes up with another word which i find isent the corect spelling for the word i used iether so you iether add it to the dictionary it arsks you if you want to do making it no better than my

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, spell-check is often a hit-and-miss, depending on what you're using and on what platforms. Auto-correct on mobile devices comes to mind. Don't you hate it when you write something on your phone or tablet, and the auto-correct completely messes it up. Especially when you write a perfectly normal word, and it replaces it with something unrelated and non-sensical. Bummer!

Mayhem

Zenith
I have to turn that off on the phone, it can make things quicker but slows everything up re doing the words.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I did just that a few years back. Right now, it's not too bad on my Samsung phone, I'm using the Google Keyboard. The default Samsung Keyboard had terrible auto-correct, it was practically unusable the last time I used it.

I haven't tried it in a long time, but isn't Apple's auto-correct, overall better?

Wind7

Staff
I use the Google Keyboard exclusively.

The only big problem is the 'Swipe Feature'.
I have accidentally swiped across the letters and sent some very off-kilter words.

Friends are like> "Are you smoking weed, dude?"

And I accidentally swipe back> "No, I'm nippon!"

Bloody autocorrect