Yours and Mine Favourite Songs From The 1960s

Wind7

Staff
The very first album I ever had was After Bathing At Baxter's by Jefferson Airplane
which was considered by some of the masses as their answer to The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's
only a LOT more drenched in LSD. I as a little tyke, just loved the music...It was Way Different!

Given to me as a gift back in 1970 from a Friend of the family. I was 6 Yrs old.

Saturday Afternoon (Won't You Try) was my instant fave.

Played Live @ Woodstock and also I'll post the studio version.

Live, this was the stuff back in the late 60's, this type of atmosphere was all around me.
...minus the drugs. ;)

Studio

"...And the sunlight will set you free...."

This album provided me so much solace back then,
Like finding a new friend that led me to eventually becoming a self-employed muse much later in life.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
The song is from 1962, but I don't think that video is from December of that year, as it says in the video. Knowing the history of the band, it looks like it came from circa 1967. Nice find anyway. :)

By the way, if any of you are interested, you might want to check out this thread I made a while ago, The Four Seasons (band): Reinvented. In it, I introduce my ideas on making the Four Seasons solidly a classic rock band. Look particularly at my posts there, especially my lists of singles and albums. I'll make a summary for you: my posts explain the idea of making the band more of a rock and roll group, add new people into their lives and careers (including drummer Joe Russo and producer Herbie Mandel), and modify and expand the amount of singles and albums they come up with between 1960 and 1980. And I was thinking, since I might have come up with too many studio albums, I eliminated much of the albums from my original Word document from which I had copied and pasted my list of albums. I'll make a new post of the updated albums list in that thread shortly...

TimeFlipper

Del Shannon was another of my great artists Windy..."Runaway" had a very special Etherial sound to it brought about by first using a minor key to play in, plus the Reverb sound effect used on the whole of the song...Reverberation is best described as lots of echoes in close harmony...

Of course we cannot forget that wonderful keyboard instrumental played by Dels keyboardist Max Crook, allegedly using his own creation called the "Musitron" keyboard, giving out that special Etherial sound all of its own (Personally i believe that Musitron is just a slightly modified small "Clavioline Keyboard" that the Beatles used themselves, especially on Sgt Peppers)..

I STILL get shivers running down my spine everytime i hear Runaway!! Thanks for posting it Windy.....I was so very sad to hear Del committed suicide in 1990 :cry:...Do you and PA remember this song from Del, Swiss Maid?....You can hear more clearly the Reverb effect i mentioned earlier, coming from Dels female backing vocalists and in the chorus lines of this song..

Last edited:

Wind7

Staff
I think most people know the guitarists opening 8 bars of this next classic song, blind folded!!...The first pop song of the 1960s to play over 3 minutes (3 minutes 22 seconds)..

You beat me to it, TF.

Wish I had an extra $20.00 for every time I either heard or performed this song,
I could pay off the car. ;)

I have to admit one thing here though, I am very into the 60's and (some) 70's psychedelia movement in music.
Just the way I was raised I suppose.

This song was pushed at me soooo many times that I have multiple versions of it.

TimeFlipper

You beat me to it, TF.

Wish I had an extra $20.00 for every time I either heard or performed this song,
I could pay off the car. ;)

I have to admit one thing here though, I am very into the 60's and (some) 70's psychedelia movement in music.
Just the way I was raised I suppose.

This song was pushed at me soooo many times that I have multiple versions of it.

After, Love Me Do, Please Please Me and their first number 1 hit From Me To You, this next song affirmed a phenomenom in "Pop Music" which would NEVER EVER be repeated again Windy....Beatlemania, a World Wide craze for 4 English guys...US musical dominance in the UK had finished!!

I can recall a time in the UK Top 20 charts when the Beatles had over 10 records in it, plus a song about them called, All i want for Christmas is a Beatle...There were also songs performed by other UK groups in that Top 20 list which were written by Lennon/McCartney of the Fab Four!! :eek:..