Civil Unrest; its happening now

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Yes, and I still maintain that stance. The main reason is because our science does not have a cohesive model of how all the basic forces behave together under all conditions. So someone came along and completely disregarded the nuclear strong and weak force, and the charge force. As if they don't exist. And computed how a gravitational force would behave based purely on a belief. No facts exist to support that belief either. It's pure fiction.

Math is a powerful tool. But applying that tool to the universe we live in seems to be a real stumbling block for those given the chore to use it.

So, by your logic, you would think that the earth's roundness is fiction, too.

No, because the math was applied to something that actually exists. I'm deducing that you must be a religious person.

You're contradicting yourself. You said you needed the math to prove it existed, but you are in fact deciding it exists before the math.
I'm just challenging your thinking - no harm intended -- and now you are starting to take this too seriously and resort to assumptions/judgements.
Religion has nothing to do with this. What's next, I'm evil because I was born "white" ?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
So, by your logic, you would think that the earth's roundness is fiction, too.

No, because the math was applied to something that actually exists. I'm deducing that you must be a religious person.

You're contradicting yourself. You said you needed the math to prove it existed, but you are in fact deciding it exists before the math.
I'm just challenging your thinking - no harm intended -- and now you are starting to take this too seriously and resort to assumptions/judgements.
Religion has nothing to do with this. What's next, I'm evil because I was born "white" ?

Yes, I am being very serious. I seriously tried to be helpful. I don't understand how you came to these conclusions. I would ask that you reread my statements. I can't make it any simpler.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Yes, I am being very serious. I seriously tried to be helpful. I don't understand how you came to these conclusions. I would ask that you reread my statements. I can't make it any simpler.

I'm just saying you contradict yourself. My intentions were not to give you a hard time. Just thought it was a simple non-emotional discussion.

walt willis

The civil unrest may be delayed after hearing that the main witness to the shooting just backed up the report from the officer involved.

I heard that the officer was attacked by Brown and received serious facial injuries.

It may be time to unload your weapons and park them back in the safe.

Code brown is over for now!

Just look how quick we are to go to war and slow we are to stand down!

Harte

Ain't that the truth. But I believe I came across something recently that could be a contributing factor to the problem. People brought up in a religious environment have a much harder time distinguishing the difference between facts and beliefs. Excellent fodder for the con artist.

We'll I wouldn't really compare the belief in a deity to some internet troll/ time traveler, but maybe that's just me.

The point I was trying to make was that religious people are taught to accept their religion as fact. Fact without verification. So belief and fact are the same thing to a religious person. In my book a fact without verification is just a belief, or hearsay.
From the perspective of a shallow person that has no grasp whatsoever of the actual meaning of the concept of "faith," I suppose it would look like that.

Harte

Harte

Go look and see for yourself if the stated belief is true. Then it gets transferred over to the fact category. If you can't personally verify something, then you should never accept it as fact.

Just testing this logic :) So, if you can't go to space to see the earth isn't flat, we shouldn't accept it?

Actually I do believe it was Columbus that had an interesting mathematical argument to indicate it was round. The mast of a ship would disappear over the horizon at the 13 mile mark. Using the Pythagorean theorem you could calculate the small angle made. Then divide that angle into 360 degrees. And take that number and multiply by 13 miles. The result would be the distance around the earth. Which I believe came out to around 25,000 miles.
That argument certainly existed, but Columbus never used it. Nor did he need it, as even the slightly educated Europeans of his day knew full well what literate Europe (and the rest of the literate world) had known since the time of the Ancient Greeks - that the world was round, not flat.

Harte

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Just testing this logic :) So, if you can't go to space to see the earth isn't flat, we shouldn't accept it?

Actually I do believe it was Columbus that had an interesting mathematical argument to indicate it was round. The mast of a ship would disappear over the horizon at the 13 mile mark. Using the Pythagorean theorem you could calculate the small angle made. Then divide that angle into 360 degrees. And take that number and multiply by 13 miles. The result would be the distance around the earth. Which I believe came out to around 25,000 miles.
That argument certainly existed, but Columbus never used it. Nor did he need it, as even the slightly educated Europeans of his day knew full well what literate Europe (and the rest of the literate world) had known since the time of the Ancient Greeks - that the world was round, not flat.

Harte

I know, but he said he didn't believe in something unless he experienced it personally. Then, he said he can experience the math personally for the roundness of the earth, but for some reason, he can't experience the math (or the real photographs) of a black hole and was offended that I inadvertently found a flaw in his logic and he then decided to bring up religion, out of context, in an attempt to insult me to win the argument. I really was just talking. I had no intention of upsetting him. Intelligent debate...until the insults started flinging. Whatever.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

Harte

I know, but he said he didn't believe in something unless he experienced it personally. Then, he said he can experience the math personally for the roundness of the earth, but for some reason, he can't experience the math (or the real photographs) of a black hole and was offended that I inadvertently found a flaw in his logic and he then decided to bring up religion, out of context, in an attempt to insult me to win the argument. I really was just talking. I had no intention of upsetting him. Intelligent debate...until the insults started flinging. Whatever.

I haven't got a clue how you determined Black Holes are real. There is no astronomical observation showing a Black Hole. Just opinions and belief.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

Harte

Oh, forgot to mention that I told you to put Harte on ignore didn't I? And I wasn't insulting you.