Civil Unrest; its happening now

Galileo

The point I was trying to make was that religious people are taught to accept their religion as fact. Fact without verification. So belief and fact are the same thing to a religious person. In my book a fact without verification is just a belief, or hearsay.

.. So how do you verify a fact?

Go look and see for yourself if the stated belief is true. Then it gets transferred over to the fact category. If you can't personally verify something, then you should never accept it as fact.

So how does a person verify religion is false?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
.. So how do you verify a fact?

Go look and see for yourself if the stated belief is true. Then it gets transferred over to the fact category. If you can't personally verify something, then you should never accept it as fact.

So how does a person verify religion is false?

Access to a time machine might be the answer to that question. But since no one is willing to come forward with one, then I would have to conclude that verifying a religion is not possible. It remains in limbo forever. Unable to be proven true or false.

Galileo

Access to a time machine might be the answer to that question. But since no one is willing to come forward with one, then I would have to conclude that verifying a religion is not possible. It remains in limbo forever. Unable to be proven true or false.

.. then how do we know religious people are wrong?

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Just testing this logic :) So, if you can't go to space to see the earth isn't flat, we shouldn't accept it?

Actually I do believe it was Columbus that had an interesting mathematical argument to indicate it was round. The mast of a ship would disappear over the horizon at the 13 mile mark. Using the Pythagorean theorem you could calculate the small angle made. Then divide that angle into 360 degrees. And take that number and multiply by 13 miles. The result would be the distance around the earth. Which I believe came out to around 25,000 miles.

But you said if you didn't experience it personally, you won't believe it.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

I've personally had many chats with religious people. So I base my opinions solely on those chats. And based on those chats, so far 100% believe their religion to be fact. You'll have to speak for yourself on you're own personally experience with religious people.
Just testing this logic :) So, if you can't go to space to see the earth isn't flat, we shouldn't accept it?

Actually I do believe it was Columbus that had an interesting mathematical argument to indicate it was round. The mast of a ship would disappear over the horizon at the 13 mile mark. Using the Pythagorean theorem you could calculate the small angle made. Then divide that angle into 360 degrees. And take that number and multiply by 13 miles. The result would be the distance around the earth. Which I believe came out to around 25,000 miles.

I have no way to verify Columbus ever existed. But the math I did experience personally.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

I've personally had many chats with religious people. So I base my opinions solely on those chats. And based on those chats, so far 100% believe their religion to be fact. You'll have to speak for yourself on you're own personally experience with religious people.

I have no way to verify Columbus ever existed. But the math I did experience personally.

You once said that black holes were only a mathematical concept and therefore fiction.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
You once said that black holes were only a mathematical concept and therefore fiction.

Yes, and I still maintain that stance. The main reason is because our science does not have a cohesive model of how all the basic forces behave together under all conditions. So someone came along and completely disregarded the nuclear strong and weak force, and the charge force. As if they don't exist. And computed how a gravitational force would behave based purely on a belief. No facts exist to support that belief either. It's pure fiction.

Math is a powerful tool. But applying that tool to the universe we live in seems to be a real stumbling block for those given the chore to use it.

Khaos

where the wild things are
Looks like Titor was right about intense civil unrest happening; and looks like everyone else was right about his stuff coming true 10 years later.

What's going on in Ferguson, Missouri

Some people are even shooting back at police; and no one is safe not even TV news crews.

Think this unrest can spread to other US Cities?

What's going on down there? According to a black friend of mine who used to live here in Michigan and was at one time a room-mate since we shared a 2 bedroom apartment together, not a whole lot. Media isn't telling the other side of the story. I've known this guy for 12 years, went to school with him and he's never lied to me, if anyone out of this incident is being oppressive and racist, its the police. He said that the police came in even before the riots started, and started harassing and provoking residents near the area the teen got shot. All a big fucking setup as he told me.

Another thing is, its not the entire city that is up in flames, its not like a thousand people causing riots and looting, its actually rather isolated. There's a lot more peaceful demonstrations going on than there are violent, and the media fails to recognize that.

I asked him what he thinks, was the kid shot because he's black, he really couldn't give me answer for that. He's like me, doesn't jump to conclusions. He did say that the cop who shot the teen had been harassing black males earlier on that day. So take that for what its worth.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

Yes, and I still maintain that stance. The main reason is because our science does not have a cohesive model of how all the basic forces behave together under all conditions. So someone came along and completely disregarded the nuclear strong and weak force, and the charge force. As if they don't exist. And computed how a gravitational force would behave based purely on a belief. No facts exist to support that belief either. It's pure fiction.

Math is a powerful tool. But applying that tool to the universe we live in seems to be a real stumbling block for those given the chore to use it.

So, by your logic, you would think that the earth's roundness is fiction, too.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

So, by your logic, you would think that the earth's roundness is fiction, too.

No, because the math was applied to something that actually exists. I'm deducing that you must be a religious person.