About use of music in Magick

ArthurPandragon

Dear all,

I create this thread for I have actually a precise question: do you think Prokofiev's Piano Concerto n°2 has magickal properties?
I read that some magicians used it for their rituals plus Prokofief really had direct and indirect links with Occultism.

But, such a move would be egoistical.
So, I invite you to debate more largely about music in Magick stuff ;)

Enjoy!

Wind7

Staff
Google Michael Stearns and the occult and this will pop up.

I love MS music and still listen when in the mood for deep thought relaxation.
This particular album has been given such a bad rap by some people because of
the moods and feeling it brings out in you.

With no words at all within....I calls it theatre for the mind.

ArthurPandragon

Google Michael Stearns and the occult and this will pop up.

I love MS music and still listen when in the mood for deep thought relaxation.
This particular album has been given such a bad rap by some people because of
the moods and feeling it brings out in you.

With no words at all within....I calls it theatre for the mind.
Wow! I listened a little to the music on this YouTube video, I better understood which you had written.
I wonder if this music but also all those I have identified as Magick-like would have a common main trait: they are deeply ambiguous.
I mean, they vehicule numerous feelings in the same time from happiness or relaxing to sadness or terror.
Maybe their power is firstly mobilizing the whole spectrum of human emotions and so our deep psyche.
Also, I looked for Michael Stearns and found he was a disciple of Steve Roach whose one of his own mentors was Brian Eno, which was funny since I already met Eno about New Age stuff.

Wind7

Staff
Wow! I listened a little to the music on this YouTube video, I better understood which you had written.
I wonder if this music but also all those I have identified as Magick-like would have a common main trait: they are deeply ambiguous.
Exactly. Music alone, can emote a thousand images from within the listener...without need of word.
I mean, they vehicule numerous feelings in the same time from happiness or relaxing to sadness or terror.
Maybe their power is firstly mobilizing the whole spectrum of human emotions and so our deep psyche.
You know it does.

Watch any really good (or great) movies?
Without the music, they might not have achieved this 'Greatness' simply because placing both
music and motion together, causes this emotive response.

Same can be said for utilization(s) of magick within/without the compass.

Like a Ouija, is the music simply a tool for the outlet of our being
or has it the ability of enchantments of its own unto itself alone. (?)

I prefer to not talk anything textbook as you can see,
I much prefer keeping things in laymen's term.
Also, I looked for Michael Stearns and found he was a disciple of Steve Roach whose one of his own mentors was Brian Eno, which was funny since I already met Eno about New Age stuff.
Eno! I have most of his collaborations/recordings with Harold Budd.

This song^^^, will forever be ingrained within just for the fact of having an 'Ah Ha!!' moment one night.
I was walking out around 2 AM, under a full moon one hot summer night while listening
to this song through a Walkman with the breeze blowing in a storm just on the horizon.
I live in the midst of nowhere close to a wildlife refuge but there are loads of fields
that are owned by farmers and their families.

I saw something flagging in the wind that was caught in the barbed wire fence
I was walking by, so the music gave me this gift along with a visual I could relate. :love:

Ambient 2 : The Plateaux Of Mirror album is a Gem.

The Pearl is second.

I have loads of Harold Budd and Steve Roach albums along with M. Stearns.

Last edited:

ArthurPandragon

Exactly. Music alone, can emote a thousand images from within the listener...without need of word.

You know it does.

Watch any really good (or great) movies?
Without the music, they might not have achieved this 'Greatness' simply because placing both
music and motion together, causes this emotive response.

Same can be said for utilization(s) of magick within/without the compass.

Like a Ouija, is the music simply a tool for the outlet of our being
or has it the ability of enchantments of its own unto itself alone. (?)

I prefer to not talk anything textbook as you can see,
I much prefer keeping things in laymen's term.

Eno! I have most of his collaborations/recordings with Harold Budd.

This song^^^, will forever be ingrained within just for the fact of having an 'Ah Ha!!' moment one night.
I was walking out around 2 AM, under a full moon one hot summer night while listening
to this song through a Walkman with the breeze blowing in a storm just on the horizon.
I live in the midst of nowhere close to a wildlife refuge but there are loads of fields
that are owned by farmers and their families.

I saw something flagging in the wind that was caught in the barbed wire fence
I was walking by, so the music gave me this gift along with a visual I could relate. :love:

Ambient 2 : The Plateaux Of Mirror album is a Gem.

The Pearl is second.

I have loads of Harold Budd and Steve Roach albums along with M. Stearns.

Thank you a lot! Beyond my researches, I will enjoy listening all this music :)

steven chiverton

432 hertz all drowned out with various other sound frequencies so unlless you can isolate it you dont really know what is the 432 hertz sounding like and if it was below humen hearing then you wont hear it even if they say its there you wont hear it so its uselless

steven chiverton

i listened to 432 hertz using the online tone generator and it didn't do anything so i suspect disinformation. have you seen that video on youtube where a man shatters a glass with his voice i think it was and his voice alone didnt do it he had to vibrate the glass first then hit it with his voice so i think 432 hertz dose nothing unless its combined with another frequency like explained

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
i listened to 432 hertz using the online tone generator and it didn't do anything so i suspect disinformation. have you seen that video on youtube where a man shatters a glass with his voice i think it was and his voice alone didnt do it he had to vibrate the glass first then hit it with his voice so i think 432 hertz dose nothing unless its combined with another frequency like explained
I personally think we are educated with misinformation concerning sound phenomena. Sound is created from a variety of distinctly different sources. Our ears may not be able to distinguish if sound comes from either 2D or 3D or 4D sources. What about sound from a theremin? There is no mechanical speaker involved at all. The theory is the sound comes from the difference between two electromagnetic waves intersecting.

ArthurPandragon

Thank to both of you for sharing your thoughts and researches!
Actually, Steven, I did not think so much about frequencies under human perception even if I kept this possibility in mind.
My best path to explain was rythmics and its impact on human brain. I mean, some ways to write and so to perform music seem induce strong neurological effects including trance.
From tribal music to rave-parties or several movies or video games soundtracks, music including heavy repetition with loops but also subtle variations from a part to another have something hypnotic.
Furthermore, I found again this kind of pattern inside the music forged by a team of French searchers: the Spikiss Project could be sum up by translating brain waves into music and it concluded on such a looping scheme. It is explained below:
As an outcome, I wonder if this hypnotic effect would be the result of a kind of feedback: a brain is puzzled by perceiving the functioning of another brain.
Einstein, you pointed out something with Theremin and influence of electromagnetism: could sound effect and more especially music have an impact on the magnetite into human brains?
There are doubts about the role of magnetite in our bodies notably in our brains. A possible effect on our perception of difference between reality or dreaming and even our emotional state is to take into consideration.