Any ways to scientifically prove the occult?

Maulbeere

I search for potential ways to prove repeatedly that occult is real. Thanks

That's an awfully broad subject. Different occult phenomena have effects at different levels of reality, and would need different techniques to attempt verification. The ones that don't have a physical effect are probably not going to be verifiable using modern physics. They might if they're expected to be recieved independently by different people. They won't if they're personal - check out up the phrase "Unverified Personal Gnosis" or UPG.

I think, areas that can be proven to have repeatable effects move from occult into paranormal and fringe science, and aren't 'occult' any more.
Remote Viewing is an example of that.

So, e.g., test for clairvoyance:
Take two people, both trained in remote viewing (clairvoyance, an occult practice). Have one place a photo (that the other does not see) in an envelope, and write 4 numbers on the envelope, and seal it. They then give the 4 numbers to the 2nd person, who uses that as a way to access and remote view the photo. They write down the description. Have a 3rd person check if the description matches the photo. Do it with 100 photos.
Now make a control where someone not rained in Remote Viewing tries to describe the hidden photo.
Compare results. Expectation - even if the untrained person guesses any correctly, which is unlikely, the person trained in RV should get a significant number correct more often.
I don't know what the numbers and percentages should look like though so that noise could be ruled out, but there are your basics for something unrelated people could believe is real.

TimeFlipper

Back in the 1950s during the early times of the Cold War between Russia and the West, the CIA began conducting experiments on some of the "fringe sciences" such as telepathy, remote viewing and astrology..

Astrology was studied more as it included the predictability of planetary alignments, with the held belief of being capable of knowing when to do, or not to do something of importance...It was claimed Adolf Hitler was told by Nazi astrologists to cancel Operation Sea Lion, which was the planned invasion of Great Britain on October 12th 1940...

Num7

Administrator
Staff
The remote viewing control groups seem like a good idea. You'll need to find those people first, won't be that easy.

Have you heard of James Randi? He offered $1M to anyone who could prove him he or she has paranormal abilities. No one succeeded yet and the challenge is over for a number of years. (James Randi - Wikipedia )

I can't think of any other phenomenon right now other than basic mind reading. . I'm curious as to what others will be able to suggest.

Orpheus Rex

Gilles de Rais attempted this very thing in attempting to summon a demon named Baron. Since it didn't work, he tortured and murdered a child, and after decapitation used the child's neck-hole for sex.

This didn't work either, so he kept on it for a few dozen more children.

Now, after a few thousand attempts, then you can do a 'scientific' analysis through statistical techniques to determine if the occult is real. How does that sound to you?

Orpheus Rex

The remote viewing control groups seem like a good idea. You'll need to find those people first, won't be that easy.

Have you heard of James Randi? He offered $1M to anyone who could prove him he or she has paranormal abilities. No one succeeded yet and the challenge is over for a number of years. (James Randi - Wikipedia )

I can't think of any other phenomenon right now other than basic mind reading. . I'm curious as to what others will be able to suggest.

This book, Randi's Prize: What Sceptics Say about the Paranormal, Why They Are Wrong and Why It Matters, is a very good critique of James Randi's shenanigans.

NaturalPhilosopher

please, don't mention james randi on paranormalis.
it's insulting to everyone's intelligence.

He's passed away. I'm sorry for his family but it was his time to go.

Last edited:

NaturalPhilosopher

Everyone is skeptical except about skepticism
It's a dead end.

Explore, wonder, try things, it's easier, produces more results and is fun

Last edited:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
@Orpheus Rex Crazy story indeed, definitely don't want stuff like this to happen. :( Pretty gruesome.

Considering the guy was trying to summon de demon... Would the risks be as high if the concerned spell was of positive nature?