Anyone have a program to get rid of spyware!?

Motoko Aoyama

Does anyone have a program that can get rid of spyware, I want one of those good programs that can be able to destroy the spyware completely my program Spybot Search and Destroy only work for a little while and all the other websites out there are only giving free scanner programs but to get rid of the spyware you got to purchase it and I don't want to do that because I want to get rid of spyware for free, free scan, free on getting rid of spyware, anything! My computer has almost 100 Spyware!!!!

Ralan

I only know of Spybot. How did you come to have so much spyware?

The_Ruffneck

100 is actually normal with people who don't check regularly , which is the sad thing.....
anyway go to WWW.DOWNLOAD.COM , download AD-AWARE , SPYBOT and HI-JACK THIS (that program finds the cause of your spyware problems ie the original prgrams they came from)

have fun

Unintentional

I run Ad-Aware SE, which is also free like Spybot Search and Destroy. I also run Spybot Search and Destroy at the same time. These two programs compliment each other, usually what one misses the other gets. I would recommend everyone run those both.

I also use Pest Patrol. Pest Patrol you have to pay for, but believe it or not, gets even MORE stuff that Ad-Ware and Spybot misses.

Another source of popups might be from windows itself. If you have windows XP, enable your built in firewall. It will kill those pesky messenger popups.

It is also imperative to get rid of spyware before you upgrade windows xp to service pack 2. there are tons of horror stories out there by peoples hard drives becoming useless due to a bad sp2 install due to spyware. This is not myth. I have seen it twice.

If you do get service pack 2 (sp2) installed, the firewall is on by default.

Good luck.

Motoko Aoyama

How did you come to have so much spyware?

Its called being on the internet too long like 3 to 5 hours (oops!)

I'll try installing and running these programs, hopefully it can blast all the spyware and the files wtoolsa and wsup, I had those files for months and its killing my computer!!!!! :cry:

By the way is there any spyware created for Macintosh or Lunix (Unix?!), if not how come Macintosh or Lunix doesn't get viruses as much as windows!?!

I hate these spyware creators!!!!!! :angry:

Motoko Aoyama

Thanks Federation, the program Spysweeper really got rid of all of the adware and cookies that I had on my computer, the program finally got rid of those files wtoolsa and wsup which are the 2 annoying files that annoyed my computer and I. Not only that the program made the speed of my computer go really fast. :)

Motoko Aoyama

:angry: OH NO! The files came back worse then before!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Motoko,

Try using this. It's an online virus scanner. I just ran it tonight and it found over 200 files on my computer that needed deleting... And I did a clean reinstall of Windows XP about a week ago. Computer runs like a dream now with no crap.

This scan is better than Norton or Macafee because it doesn't actually run as a program on your computer. Some viruses and spyware are written to get around certain processes running, but since this doesn't run as a process in the technical sense, it gets everything.

Here's the link:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It's the first link on the main body of the page that says "Scan Your PC:
Ease your mind and scan your PC for viruses. Scan Now. It's Free!"

Let me know how it goes.

Originally posted by Motoko Aoyama@Oct 4 2004, 03:14 AM
How did you come to have so much spyware?

Its called being on the internet too long like 3 to 5 hours (oops!)

I spend an ungodly amount of time on the internet.... Much much more than 3 hours a day. It's not that you're online, it's the sites you're visiting. If you go to a lot of Tripod and Geocities hosted sites those can get you pretty good. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you also visit a lot of fan sites for whatever anime cartoon you said you liked.... In my experience A LOT of these sites have a lot of pop ups and crap that will screw your computer.

Try turning on your firewall in your Network Connections control panel, and increase your security settings for your browser. If you need help let me know :)

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

One other thing:

I'd reccomend getting the Google toolbar. It has the ability to stop popups, and a lot of the crap you seem to be getting can come from these.