Bar Magnets Included with the HDR?

steven chiverton

yes will do its better than buying a whole hdr just to get one where the hell does he get them from , erea 51 or the aliens someone uploaded a link to a steven gibbs tv or radio interview 2003 and ill be watching it latter so far what he says on it about how he got the hdr plans dosent tally with what he said before about 2 aliens giving him the plans , its either aliens or humans he needs to make up his mind i've only listened to a small bit of it

TimeFlipper

yes will do its better than buying a whole hdr just to get one where the hell does he get them from , erea 51 or the aliens someone uploaded a link to a steven gibbs tv or radio interview 2003 and ill be watching it latter so far what he says on it about how he got the hdr plans dosent tally with what he said before about 2 aliens giving him the plans , its either aliens or humans he needs to make up his mind i've only listened to a small bit of it

If the Aliens did tell Gibbs about the HDR, in my humble opinion they were taking the piss out of him, or perhaps it was an Alien type of April the first joke in their world :alien: :LOL:..

Sonix

yes will do its better than buying a whole hdr just to get one[...]
The HDR from Gibbs no longer comes with the big barium oxide magnet - that was an early model (the Sonic Resonator) that required that (though HDRKID and others still use it as a mod with more recent models).

FarOutThere

The HDR from Gibbs no longer comes with the big barium oxide magnet - that was an early model (the Sonic Resonator) that required that (though HDRKID and others still use it as a mod with more recent models).

The Sonic Resonator schematics show a Samarium Cobalt magnet, not Barium Oxide. Are you sure you it wasn't Samarium Cobalt? A strong rare earth magnet?

All this talk of Barium Oxide confuses me. I can only find Barium Ferrite magnets. The only context that Barium Oxide magnets come up in Google, is with the HDR.

FarOutThere

Ferrite permanent magnets exist in two forms
  • Strontium Ferrite magnets (most common) - used in small electric motors, micro-wave devices, recording media, magneto-optic media, telecommunication and electronic industry.

• Barium Ferrite magnets - a common material for permanent magnet applications. Barium ferrites are robust ceramics that are generally stable to moisture and corrosion-resistant. They are used in e.g. loudspeaker magnets and as a medium for magnetic recording, e.g. on magnetic stripe cards.

Last edited:

Sonix

[...]All this talk of Barium Oxide confuses me. I can only find Barium Ferrite magnets. The only context that Barium Oxide magnets come up in Google, is with the HDR.
When I google, almost all of those references associating Barium Oxide magnets and the HDR are all from the same source - HDRKID aka CarlosX. HDRKID speaks of the magnet being originally used with the Sonic Resonator (a precursor to the HDR) and has used the magnet to experimentally enhance the HDR. It has not been included with the HDR (as Gibbs says it is not needed) but had still, at least at one time, been available for purchase from Steven Gibbs. HDRKID suggests that "more powerful neodymium magnet" will substitute, so I suspect the specific composition of the strong magnet is not critical: Barium Oxide Bar Magnet
My only personal experience re this is in ordering an HDR from Gibbs and it not including the magnet nor instructions referring to it. There is a smaller magnet included with the HDR for quick testing that the hookups are correct. Hope this info assists.

steven chiverton

The magnet that I received with my HDR earlier this year was a regular semi-strong magnet with N and S labelled. It is not used during the functioning of the HDR, is only used for testing that everything is hooked up correctly, as your posted excerpt suggests. Some experimenters (such as HDRKID @HDRKID ) have added magnets to the electromagnet to augment it's magnetic field (I myself do this, using rare earth magnets), but that is not the purpose of the magnet that was included with the HDR. I do seem to remember that earlier models of the HDR had a magnet to be placed between the electromagnet and the body (I seem to remember that from Keelynet?)
any magnet brought near the hdr electromagnet will vibrate in response to the hdr units electromagnetic feilds

steven chiverton

the bar magnets gibbs used i cant even find them online not even e bay so where he gets them from is unknown and as far as it looks ive never been able to find any source of them anywhere online so best use a neodymium one or a bunch of rectangle flat ones stuck together to make one

TimeFlipper

the bar magnets gibbs used i cant even find them online not even e bay so where he gets them from is unknown and as far as it looks ive never been able to find any source of them anywhere online so best use a neodymium one or a bunch of rectangle flat ones stuck together to make one
Sorry, made posting error..

Last edited: