Bon Appétit

Yeats

Every so often (about every seventeen years, more or less) reporters are ordered by their editors to write up “the cicada story”. If there’s nothing else going on at the time – like a war, or a political scandal, or some other big news – then we see story after story about the humble cicada and their “summer of love”. This isn’t a new thing.

Until this year.

This year, we are still getting “the cicada story”, but the focus is a bit different this time.

Can you eat cicadas? Yes, and here’s how to catch, cook and snack on them. - The Washington Post

Bug appétit: Why eating cicadas is good for the environment | Hub (jhu.edu)

Eating Cicadas Is Actually Good For The Environment And Apparently They Taste Like Shrimp – CBS Baltimore (cbslocal.com)

Brood X cicadas are edible. Up for pizza topped with blanched bugs? (msn.com)

The Cicadas Are Coming. Let’s Eat Them! | WIRED

The above is not, by any means, the extent of this coverage. Over the past few days, I’ve seen dozens of stories concerning our lowly friends, the cicadas, and how yummy they are.

No, thank you. I’ll pass.

I know why the press ran the old cicada stories. It was filler. Just something to fill up the space in a newspaper or to consume time in a TV news show. What I don’t know is why, this time around, the press seems to be trying to persuade us to eat bugs.

Is it because we’ll need the protein? After all, there have been recent shortages of meat products in several areas of the country lately, and food prices are rising.

I can understand “Let them eat cake”… but BUGS?

משנה לשנה

.אני אוהב את הטעם של הציקדות

.אבל באגים אחרים טובים יותר

Yeats

.אני אוהב את הטעם של הציקדות

.אבל באגים אחרים טובים יותר

To each his own, I suppose. Bugs are just not my cup of tea… or soup… whatever.

In fact, I have no problem with other folks eating bugs (since this leaves more real food for me). What bothers me is that there seems to be some orchestration in the messaging. Why is the press pushing this idea?

משנה לשנה

To each his own, I suppose. Bugs are just not my cup of tea… or soup… whatever.

In fact, I have no problem with other folks eating bugs (since this leaves more real food for me). What bothers me is that there seems to be some orchestration in the messaging. Why is the press pushing this idea?
?אולי הם רוצים שנתחבר לכדור הארץ

Yeats

?אולי הם רוצים שנתחבר לכדור הארץ
Perhaps, but I don't see how eating a bug would be any better than eating a hamburger as far as "connecting to the earth" is concerned. After all, cows aren't from Mars, you know. We grow them right here.

משנה לשנה

Perhaps, but I don't see how eating a bug would be any better than eating a hamburger as far as "connecting to the earth" is concerned. After all, cows aren't from Mars, you know. We grow them right here.

אני חושב שזה יותר לחוות את מה שעשו אבותינו

Yeats

אני חושב שזה יותר לחוות את מה שעשו אבותינו

If that’s the case, then I’m afraid it won’t work.

Even if we ate bugs, wore animal skins for warmth, slept upon cave floors, and lived in our own filth the way our ancestors did, we still would not experience what they did. We would have to be there – and then – to truly understand the kinds of lives they lived.

משנה לשנה

If that’s the case, then I’m afraid it won’t work.

Even if we ate bugs, wore animal skins for warmth, slept upon cave floors, and lived in our own filth the way our ancestors did, we still would not experience what they did. We would have to be there – and then – to truly understand the kinds of lives they lived.

.אולי
.אני חושב שזה להתקרב כמה שיותר

NaturalPhilosopher

nobody will eat bugs
talk about a pipedream...people don't even want to eat beef cuz it's not pure enough.
ya seriously think everyone will go bugs? heeey...why not. yaaa right.