Dr. Ronald Mallett

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
Thanks a ton, guys! Now anyway, perhaps I should spread the word to Dr. Mallett about The Secret somehow.

While I understand Mallett has his focus on other things, particularly the ring laser, I feel obligated to point him in other directions. You see, The Secret additionally teaches us that if you have a dream you embrace with all of your intention, you're not supposed to know how your dream will come true, or what path to take to make your dream a reality. That is up for the universe to decide.

In other words, I want Dr. Mallett to open up his mind to other options he could take to help him fulfill his lifelong dream to save his father.

Does this sound like a good idea to any of you?
The problem is that you're trying to apply an unproven new age idea to science. No physicist is likely to consider that a good idea, as it directly contradicts the nature of empirical science.
Could you please explain that in terms I can understand? I'm not too familiar with empirical science, but I know that Albert Einstein believed in The Secret, and he was a physicist himself!

Martian

Simply put, there's no equation to define it, and there's not even a solid scientific theory to describe it which agrees with all the other established theories out there. That's not to say it can't be real, but at this point it's closer to religion than science.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
Simply put, there's no equation to define it, and there's not even a solid scientific theory to describe it which agrees with all the other established theories out there. That's not to say it can't be real, but at this point it's closer to religion than science.
Thanks for the clarification! I think the problem here is that some of the laws, or rules, of science are either flawed or too rigid. I feel there should be more room in science for possibility.

And, I think that, with all that's been written and recorded time and time again throughout our history, The Secret has proven itself to be real. I believe empirical science as you describe it can't accept The Secret because it involves forces that are unseen and supernatural. And from my past knowledge, and your description of empirical science, I have a funny feeling that are a lot of empirical scientists out there that deny the existence of God, since he is unseen and supernatural. Heck, there are even people in the world who think that Jesus Christ never existed!

If The Secret presents a problem with mainstream science, it may also be a problem that I believe that God, science, and The Secret go hand in hand with one another. I have a funny feeling Einstein believed in the same thing, and so did many philosophical, scientific, and other great minds in World History's past, and I'm sure the great extraterrestrial minds out there are likewise.

Having said all that, I might as well throw in the towel with trying to contact Dr. Mallett, although if he ever finds favor with my ideas without my interference, I would be happy to discuss them with him. Even if his duties and/or scientific protocol forbid him from joining me in the voyage I do want to take beyond Earth, and possibly beyond the solar system, I will continue to keep him in mind, and I will save his father from his untimely death.

I hope this all helps!

Martian

Thanks for the clarification! I think the problem here is that some of the laws, or rules, of science are either flawed or too rigid. I feel there should be more room in science for possibility.

And, I think that, with all that's been written and recorded time and time again throughout our history, The Secret has proven itself to be real. I believe empirical science as you describe it can't accept The Secret because it involves forces that are unseen and supernatural. And from my past knowledge, and your description of empirical science, I have a funny feeling that are a lot of empirical scientists out there that deny the existence of God, since he is unseen and supernatural. Heck, there are even people in the world who think that Jesus Christ never existed!

If The Secret presents a problem with mainstream science, it may also be a problem that I believe that God, science, and The Secret go hand in hand with one another. I have a funny feeling Einstein believed in the same thing, and so did many philosophical, scientific, and other great minds in World History's past, and I'm sure the great extraterrestrial minds out there are likewise.

Having said all that, I might as well throw in the towel with trying to contact Dr. Mallett, although if he ever finds favor with my ideas without my interference, I would be happy to discuss them with him. Even if his duties and/or scientific protocol forbid him from joining me in the voyage I do want to take beyond Earth, and possibly beyond the solar system, I will continue to keep him in mind, and I will save his father from his untimely death.

I hope this all helps!
There's nothing wrong with holding personal beliefs, religious or otherwise. I was just reading earlier about how Heisenberg (the quantum mechanics guy) was a devout Christian and firmly believed that science and religion need not be mutually exclusive in the end.

The way I look at it is simple. The purpose of science is to build machines. To control a force in a scientific way, you must first be able to measure it. This idea of "the secret" is not, as far as I can tell, measurable with any of our current instruments, so it's not something we can collect data on, control, or describe with mathematical equations.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith

I hope this all helps!
There's nothing wrong with holding personal beliefs, religious or otherwise. I was just reading earlier about how Heisenberg (the quantum mechanics guy) was a devout Christian and firmly believed that science and religion need not be mutually exclusive in the end.

The way I look at it is simple. The purpose of science is to build machines. To control a force in a scientific way, you must first be able to measure it. This idea of "the secret" is not, as far as I can tell, measurable with any of our current instruments, so it's not something we can collect data on, control, or describe with mathematical equations.
Aha, and thank you! You have just explained the flaw with mainstream science! At least, I consider it a flaw, since measurements mean nothing to me when it comes to outside-the-box thinking. I think that mainstream science ought to be a bit more flexible, although that is just my belief. I can see now why many scientists are grounded in their beliefs: They allow today's mainstream science to dominate most everything else in their lives. Even if let's say science were by a thorough definition based on measurements, that little kink does not apply to my philosophy.

Have a nice day! And I wish you all the best!

Martian

It's necessary, whether desirable or not. As a simple example, imagine trying to tell someone how to build a spaceship without using an established system of measurement, verified equations, and specific definitions of all things involved. It would never get off the ground, and working as a team would certainly be impossible.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
It's necessary, whether desirable or not. As a simple example, imagine trying to tell someone how to build a spaceship without using an established system of measurement, verified equations, and specific definitions of all things involved. It would never get off the ground, and working as a team would certainly be impossible.
OK, I concede to this very good point you made. I will at least accept that measurements are sometimes necessary. That is for sure!

EDIT: Thank you for expanding my mind, Martian!

TimeFlipper

Empiricism to me simply means success through failure (Trial and Error)..If iam working on a project and after a lot of cock ups it finally works, then i have empirically solved the problem..If i dont solve them i have a school playing field at the back of my house onto which i have deposited many failed projects:D The schools science master asked me one day when i was mowing my lawn, that he hadnt seen many of my projects recently (he didnt know they were failed ones) and what had happened to them, as he was using free parts from my projects for his students?:D I asked him how he knew they were mine and he told me that he saw one particular piece of a circuit being thrown a long distance from my garden onto the school playing field:eek::D

Kind Regards
John :)

TimeFlipper

So Heisenburg was a Christian/? I reckon he was really upset about what Schrodinger did to that "cat" :D I hope this all helps!

I hope this all helps!