External winter insulation during power chrisis

Beholder

After having plugged all the small air leaks in my windows, I'm thinking about stopping the cold wind from the outside by building a tent outside of my door and windows. The wall gets cooled down faster when wind blows directly against it, so just stopping the wind could potentially save 50 watts of heating constantly for four months (maybe a $2000 saving if prices get really bad).

Looked at pre-owned camping tents that are made for motor-homes, but none of them are high enough for my door. Hanging fabric loosely won't do much because cold air will still flow in along the ground. Installing glass would cost a lot more than just paying the higher electric bill.

label

After having plugged all the small air leaks in my windows, I'm thinking about stopping the cold wind from the outside by building a tent outside of my door and windows. The wall gets cooled down faster when wind blows directly against it, so just stopping the wind could potentially save 50 watts of heating constantly for four months (maybe a $2000 saving if prices get really bad).

Looked at pre-owned camping tents that are made for motor-homes, but none of them are high enough for my door. Hanging fabric loosely won't do much because cold air will still flow in along the ground. Installing glass would cost a lot more than just paying the higher electric bill.

I live in a warm area of the world. Here we don't see temps drop easily but our winter was below zero some days and it was scary for us, I cannot imagine how bad it must be for all of you that live in a place where below zero is day to day reality. For me 24C is a cold day, a nice day is about 30C or higher.

All the best to you, be safe and all the best to you. Honestly I understand and saw on the news it is really scary times for all of you.

Beholder

I live in a warm area of the world. Here we don't see temps drop easily but our winter was below zero some days and it was scary for us, I cannot imagine how bad it must be for all of you that live in a place where below zero is day to day reality. For me 24C is a cold day, a nice day is about 30C or higher.

All the best to you, be safe and all the best to you. Honestly I understand and saw on the news it is really scary times for all of you.
At least I live in southern Sweden with -20°C during winters. Northern cities can have -47°C.

label

At least I live in southern Sweden with -20°C during winters. Northern cities can have -47°C.
I live in South Africa. Here our weather is whatever it wants to be LOL seriously it just do what it does. Some days are hot, others cold and sometimes we get record thunder storms other times we don't see a drop. But we can see how our weather is changing. But I don't blame humanity for it, I think the earth has a pole rotations naturally, we just happened to be living in a time when it is busy shirting.

Secretman3811

I live in South Africa. Here our weather is whatever it wants to be LOL seriously it just do what it does. Some days are hot, others cold and sometimes we get record thunder storms other times we don't see a drop. But we can see how our weather is changing. But I don't blame humanity for it, I think the earth has a pole rotations naturally, we just happened to be living in a time when it is busy shirting.
I see but you have many war between some kind of fight on south Africa

Beholder

I see but you have many war between some kind of fight on south Africa
District-9-1.jpg

Always something happening in South Africa. 👽

label

District-9-1.jpg

Always something happening in South Africa. 👽
The biggest situation is our crime followed only by our only Power-utility failing due to crime and corruption. Right now our power is on rotation and that means we only have power for a few hours in the morning and in the afternoon. As I am writing this, it is after midnight here and this is the time I need to do work now because for most of the day the power will be out again.

Our government is powerless and just demands more and more money that disappears the very second they get it. It is why we are stressed and suffer from depression. We see how people are being murdered "almost 75 people a day now just in our area" and we see how our infrastructure is failing. With it our jobs are lost, our economy suffers and we don't know what t to do anymore.

Our children pray for death so does the mother's and fathers. It really is not a good place to be anymore.

Beholder

The biggest situation is our crime followed only by our only Power-utility failing due to crime and corruption. Right now our power is on rotation and that means we only have power for a few hours in the morning and in the afternoon. As I am writing this, it is after midnight here and this is the time I need to do work now because for most of the day the power will be out again.

Our government is powerless and just demands more and more money that disappears the very second they get it. It is why we are stressed and suffer from depression. We see how people are being murdered "almost 75 people a day now just in our area" and we see how our infrastructure is failing. With it our jobs are lost, our economy suffers and we don't know what t to do anymore.

Our children pray for death so does the mother's and fathers. It really is not a good place to be anymore.
They probably have lots of interest to pay on loans on top of the corruption.