Debate game over

HDRKID

Stores like game stop are going away. They cannot compete with amazon. Also, people are switching to cell phone games. Expect fewer sales of consoles in coming years. Malls are going away. This is where most game stop locations are. Basically, the internet crushed the mall and you will see store traffic continue to decline in coming years.

Right now game stop is closing 150 stores due to losing money. They are hit with a double wammy. People are downloading games. Also, people are playing cell phone games. Basically, we are in a different world than the cartridge era. Failing to adapt could doom this company. They are talking about selling T-shirts and toys instead of games. If they don't turn things around, it is game over.

TAKEN FROM GameStop closures: Is this the end of brick-and-mortar video game shops?
The sum effect was a drop in sales across almost all of GameStop’s segments. The company reported on Thursday that its hardware sales declined 29.1 percent during the fourth quarter, and new software sales fell by 19.3 percent during the same period, according to a press release. The retailer blamed weak sales of certain blockbuster video games.

TnWatchdog

Yeah, I've been downloading games for my Samsung VR from 99 cents to under ten dollars...with some being free. It is good and bad when technology changes. We had a large mall torn down and converted into restaurants, apartments, condominiums, office, and shopping area. The whole area is fast growing since this has happened.

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
That's a shame, but when I get around to changing history, the Internet will not be as much a part of our daily lives as it is in our current reality. There will still be a huge market for games on cartridges and consoles. In fact, classic consoles such as the 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) will be revived, and new games will be made for them in cartridge form, while classic games will likewise once again be made available in that form.

And when I say new games, expect Angry Birds and Bejeweled, as well as more games in such franchises as Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon and even those like SpongeBob and Fairly OddParents to be released for play on consoles like the NES.

Are these good ideas?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Steam and the other online gaming services are winning. No matter what kind of game we're dealing with, why buy them in a store when you can buy them from your couch.

That even applies to buying a physical copy from an online store like Amazon as well...

TimeFlipper

The main problem with purchasing from the internet is that all the small stores dealing with certain commodities, such as games etc, will eventually be put out of business, and with it goes the human factor..
Yes, small stores can never be as competitive as the online stores are, but when the competition from the small stores end with their closures, all the online stores will inevitably put up their prices of goods, and literally become a cartel..

The only answer to this would be that all the governments around the world place "online taxes" upon Amazon and others, or force them to build physical stores in countries, which would give the smaller retail offline stores a better chance of competing with them..

bluejay_1919

I've noticed a change in sales of gaming. My husband owns a ps3 and hardly ever plays a game on it anymore. We love to watch movies so we use our Amazon Prime (which is awesome) and Netflix and then all the online movies on HBO, Starz and Showtime. So we're hooked up on movies since going to a movie theater is getting so expensive!! As for a mall... I can't remember the last time I went into one. I've found myself hating the crowds of snobs or teenagers, and the rude workers, haha. I shop mainly Amazon and Etsy.

Khaos

where the wild things are
I'm not surprised. Digital media has been expanding quite a bit in recent years. I must confess I do everything digitally myself now. I don't go out and buy DVD's or CD's for movies, games, music. I just purchase and download everything to my xbox or computer or phone. It is much easier and convenient.

Romeo Anderson

That's a shame, but when I get around to changing history, the Internet will not be as much a part of our daily lives as it is in our current reality. There will still be a huge market for games on cartridges and consoles. In fact, classic consoles such as the 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) will be revived, and new games will be made for them in cartridge form, while classic games will likewise once again be made available in that form.

And when I say new games, expect Angry Birds and Bejeweled, as well as more games in such franchises as Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon and even those like SpongeBob and Fairly OddParents to be released for play on consoles like the NES.

Are these good ideas?

Sorry for asking but are you able/will you be able to get back in time?

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
@Romeo Anderson - No, I don't know how to travel back in time yet, but I will sometime in the future. I'm sorry as well for getting off-topic here, but we can continue this conversation privately, if you'd like.