Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Keroscene

Re: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

I bought GTA:SA this weekend and was really impressed that the instruction manual was a hard cover book with a tab for the cd to rest in. You should have heard the complaints from friends with xboxs and ps2s, they felt cheated. Graphically I was disappointed, but I'm used to the modded cars from Vice City. The radio stations are wonderful though, they never get enough credit. For a while it made my computer lock up, then shut down and restart, it was irritating. It hasn't done it lately, I just kept saving in case it did. I can't remember the exact error message at the moment, or I would post it. This is the only game that makes my computer crash and I have a ton of games. I didn't get the network setup because they turned off my friends cable service the next day, which was unusual because it was the night after I posted on here and we made the arrangement the same day. My first guess was his bill but he said it was a mistake at the cable company and he was scheduled for a requested disconnection. So it looks like another couple weeks 'till I have a good reason for spending 200$ on something I don't need.

Keroscene

It seems that there is a common problem with GTA:SA and my M.O.B. and processor. It is really driving me crazy, Rockstar needs to address this issue with an update or I will be returning GTA for something that works. I did buy a 5.1 surround sound system from Logitech last week and have been plagued with problems since. The only compatible DVD player program I have found is WINDVD, all others seem to have a problem detecting the 5.1 setup. My MOB also has an optical out, which doesn't have any problem sending a 5.1 signal to my reciever for proccessing from any DVD player program. Some games are incredible in 5.1, and is much more noticeable on a computer than an xbox, which is all I have to compare it to (game wise). Overall the sound from the Logitech 5.1 setup is superb, just wish it worked with everything a little better.

WaKKO15169

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"TheHeggy\")</div>
Has anyone here played this game? I just started playing again last night after a two month break from it and I'm getting hooked again ;)

I think it's a pretty good game, but some parts of it I think they could have done without -- Like the mission where you have to go kill national guardsmen and steal weapons from the army base... That one shocked me a bit.

There are quite a bit of stories about kids who went out and did something stupid like shoot a prostitute because they saw it in a video game like this one, but I don't think I buy any of that crap. Parents should be picky about what games they buy their kids and make sure it's age-appropriate. If you as a parent can't teach your child to seperate fiction from reality then you shouldn't have kids in the first place.

There's always going to be someone blaming the entertainment industry for what their kid did though.[/b]

NO RULES. NO REGULATIONS. NO LIMITS. You might think that what you see in a video game is fiction because you have never seen it in real life but things like death, destruction, and mayhem are real. Freedom is the power to choose. There is no good and evil. there is what you can and you can't do. Life is simple. People are what complicate it. How you deal with your problems is a representaion of who you are. If your kid wants to kill everyone...maybe he should. I don't want to kill anyone and yet people have been killed by my hands. I don't like the fact that it happened but if someone trys to kill you Your the one who makes the choice to run or fight. Survival is the only goal in life you know your gonna fail and its really not how you die thats important. Its how you lived. I personelly hope all your children turn out to be whatever they want to be. Be it serial killer or school teacher.

Life is what you make of it. If your unhappy its your fault. it is not anyone elses responsibility but your own to make yourself happy.

In english....Stop whining. If you play the game why wouldn't you let your kids play it.

Keroscene

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"WaKKO15169\")</div>
NO RULES. NO REGULATIONS. NO LIMITS. You might think that what you see in a video game is fiction because you have never seen it in real life but things like death, destruction, and mayhem are real. Freedom is the power to choose. There is no good and evil. there is what you can and you can't do. Life is simple. People are what complicate it. How you deal with your problems is a representaion of who you are. If your kid wants to kill everyone...maybe he should. I don't want to kill anyone and yet people have been killed by my hands. I don't like the fact that it happened but if someone trys to kill you Your the one who makes the choice to run or fight. Survival is the only goal in life you know your gonna fail and its really not how you die thats important. Its how you lived. I personelly hope all your children turn out to be whatever they want to be. Be it serial killer or school teacher.

Life is what you make of it. If your unhappy its your fault. it is not anyone elses responsibility but your own to make yourself happy.

In english....Stop whining. If you play the game why wouldn't you let your kids play it.[/b]

Hmmm, I would say that all people are products of their enviroment. Last week, I went to see my daughter in the hospital because her appendix burst, I bought her a couple of coloring books in hopes of cheering her spirits while she was there. In one of the books there were crabs who were chasing a young girl with their pinchers open like they wanted to pinch her. My daughter asked me, "Are all crabs mean?" I replied "No, not all crabs are mean, just these ones in this book." She then asked, "If all crabs aren't mean, then why do they all have pinchers?" With the easiest awnser that a four year old can understand I told her "In case other animals try to hurt them, they can hurt them back to let them know it hurts." This question she asked me has some importance to do with her development of how she views the world, and is molded by my reflection of it. I could have easily told her that all crabs are evil, but at four, my daughter would have been given a biased awnser based on my opinion, and may have used the same thought process in the future. Even if this wasn't my daughter, I would say this child isn't ready for hours of animated death.

I would say if someones kid wants to kill people, they need to take a good look at the parents, and see what can be corrected so this person doesn't hurt anyone else through senseless selfishness, not just "let them go ahead and do it".

Parents need to let their children know what is real and what isn't. Tell them how their actions affect other people, and consider the consequences of those actions. Not to long ago, many adults and children in this country thought that wrestling was real, and almost destroyed the buisness at the time to prove that it wasn't because too many people try to do what they see on TV, and then use it as a scapegoat for ignorance.

halo2junkie119

I agree with keroscene. Kids should know the difference to reality and fiction. I am 14 and my mom wouldnt really let me play any games that she thought were violent until I was about 10. I enjoy killing people in video games, but would never think to do anything like that in real life. I like to use video games as an escape or stress reliever.:)

Mudpuppy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Keroscene\")</div>
Hmmm, I would say that all people are products of their enviroment. Last week, I went to see my daughter in the hospital because her appendix burst, I bought her a couple of coloring books in hopes of cheering her spirits while she was there. In one of the books there were crabs who were chasing a young girl with their pinchers open like they wanted to pinch her. My daughter asked me, \"Are all crabs mean?\" I replied \"No, not all crabs are mean, just these ones in this book.\" She then asked, \"If all crabs aren't mean, then why do they all have pinchers?\" With the easiest awnser that a four year old can understand I told her \"In case other animals try to hurt them, they can hurt them back to let them know it hurts.\" This question she asked me has some importance to do with her development of how she views the world, and is molded by my reflection of it. I could have easily told her that all crabs are evil, but at four, my daughter would have been given a biased awnser based on my opinion, and may have used the same thought process in the future. Even if this wasn't my daughter, I would say this child isn't ready for hours of animated death.

I would say if someones kid wants to kill people, they need to take a good look at the parents, and see what can be corrected so this person doesn't hurt anyone else through senseless selfishness, not just \"let them go ahead and do it\".

Parents need to let their children know what is real and what isn't. Tell them how their actions affect other people, and consider the consequences of those actions. Not to long ago, many adults and children in this country thought that wrestling was real, and almost destroyed the buisness at the time to prove that it wasn't because too many people try to do what they see on TV, and then use it as a scapegoat for ignorance.[/b]

It's refreshing to see someone post something so sensible and morally intact in this day in age. Great post Keroscene!

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"WaKKO15169\")</div>
NO RULES. NO REGULATIONS. NO LIMITS. You might think that what you see in a video game is fiction because you have never seen it in real life but things like death, destruction, and mayhem are real.[/b]
I was in the US Army for nearly two years in a combat MOS, and I saw enough "real life" death and destruction to last me a lifetime - Without ever being deployed. I watched a crewmate's head get smashed like a watermelon by a malfunctioning tank turret, his kevlar helmet crumpled like a paper cup... And that's what prompted me to find a way out and earn an early honorable discharge.

I realized that I don't want to be in a position where I'm going to have to see that kind of stuff day in and day out if I ever get deployed (Iraq, anyone?). There's a huge difference between playing a game where the graphics are mostly cartoonish and actually watching someone's face turn in to a puddle.

Please don't make assumptions about a person without knowing the facts.

And yes, I'm aware that I told a few people that I got out by pretending to be nuts. There's just some things you'd rather not think about though, and in this case a funny story is easier to tell and get it over with than to keep describing the details of a good friend's horrifying death.

WaKKO15169

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"TheHeggy\")</div>
I was in the US Army for nearly two years in a combat MOS,[/b]

What unit were you in?
I spent most of my time attached to 2-15 FA and 1-87 INF at Ft. Drum.
Hea I don't blame you for getting out. Army was for me until I got higher up in the chain of command. Then I didn't want the responsibility of other peoples lives in my hands. So I got out.

Takes awhile for them to leave you alone. I get recruiters calling me non-stop.