Holographic displays one step closer

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Re: Holographic Displays Step Closer

I saw a flexible screen on tv a while ago, it was pretty cool. About clothes with LCD display, weren't they trying to make a camoflage device out of it ? Perhaps something like the Predator.

Condar

I wouldn't doubt that could be possible but its not going to be LCD. It's all about the LED it's going to be amazing!

Condar

Quality in LED screens is going to be ultimatly unlimited meaning hugly High Defination were talking 2048 Pixels at least. It will be amasing... of course at a set point the resolution won't matter anymore because the human eye won't be able to tell the difference.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

LEDs are interesting for very very big screens ! LDC have its limits.

I saw a HD TV not so long ago, 1080p, that was pretty awesome. It was better quality than DVD movies. I wonder if we will ever get holographic home stuff hehe.

Keroscene

Heres a pretty cool link to this machine they call a 360 degree light field display. It's the closest thing to a real time 3d hologram I've seen. It's pretty cool.

360 degree light field display

Here's one titled "Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote" THis one is really good. I've seen the IR Head tracker for PC, but I've never seen the technology incorporated into a game the way this guy pulls it off. It would add a whole new way of gaming. I wonder how difficult something like this would be to program for games that are out now. I thought this was amazing, this guy is a genius.

came across some more

Here's one of Sony using water mist and lasers to create a monstrous sea creature image, this kind of reminds me of the BBC one. This thing looks cool. I wonder how the technology is different.

Sony's stunning water and laser hologram

Here's another one of a company that uses plasma to create 3d images in the air. Not much detail to these, but the colors look bright and strong.

Three Dimensional Images in the Air

I keep watching the BBC one and it really bothers me how in the video theres no sense of scale or anything. Really makes me feel like they're trying to hide something, or make it sound better than what it is. If they have working holograms in close to real time, they should be able to come up with some better videos. It kind of looks like the camera is circling around it, like it should, but it's too close and moves too little for me to tell. Almost looks like the image itself is rotating. It looks like light is reflecting off the image in the videos too, it looks like it has shadows when the camera or the image moves, and the shadows change position. I wonder how they would pull that off using lasers? Hopefully we'll get some better video of it.

Just came to the realization that what I was looking at in the BBC video is like looking at a hologram baseball card for instance, but the surface is rewriteable using lasers, which in theory if done fast enough could make a video. I'm not sure if the article was misleading or if it was just me. Yeah I think it was just me.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Wow, the head tracking is amazing ! it looks so 3D !
Do these games actually exist, are they going to developpe some games in this way ? I don't know anything about the Nintendo Wii...

It would be great to get games like that, it looks really good. Imagine a first person shooter game with something like this.

For the BBC video, it seems to be a 2D image projected on a glass.

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster

at this point we are still in the flat screen/headsup display stage. some highend cars are useing this now for the G.P.S. and dashboard guages. but with the advent of LED's and nano tech. it should not be to long befor they can image on the water vapor in the air, and we will see a real 3D holograph. what has always puzzled me is how/where the projection devise will have to be. will it be an Earth mount projector useing the sky?????? a tabletop unit so to speek for the home/stadium??????handheld like a cellphone??? satalite mount?????? any/all of these would work good