How Should We Treat Time Travelers?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
As vile as it is for HDRkid (or anyone else) to have tried that, I think his caretakers bear the responsibility. Holding the website responsible because they didn't have enough attack dogs isn't reasonable.

Glad he had someone willing to look out for him though :) Frog was a cool guy.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
[...]
or where my other 2,761 posts went though?
[...]

When the database was given back a large portion of it was corrupted during transit. By the time I noticed this you had already deleted your copy of it and we had to make do with what was available :p

Chip Lewis

When the database was given back a large portion of it was corrupted during transit. By the time I noticed this you had already deleted your copy of it and we had to make do with what was available :p

So that's where all my hard work on 9/11 went!!! :eek: I want compensation!! ;)

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

I wasn't aware it was corrupted. I remember issue with the 'posts' field not propagating properly...

I didn't delete my original Jelsoft copy, or the IPB copy from February 2005. :p Backatcha!

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
I wasn't aware it was corrupted. I remember issue with the 'posts' field not propagating properly...

LOL, that would be your first hint it was corrupted ;)

Somehow the posts table got all screwed up when you uploaded it for me to retrieve. The thread titles were present but were just empty shells past a certain point. Lot of good content got lost.

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Oooooooooohhhh, now I remember. I must've slept since then.

So, the screwup was caused during the upload?

How big was the copy that I gave you?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Oooooooooohhhh, now I remember. I must've slept since then.

So, the screwup was caused during the upload?

How big was the copy that I gave you?

It was so long ago I can't really remember... I'll see if I can find the email where I tried explaining the problem but the jist of it was if you look at the database, you'll see it just kind of cuts off at the end. Now that I think about it, it may have been a corruption exporting it from phpMyAdmin; it can happen with gigantic databases like that when the memory limit gets exceeded or it times out.

Fortunately for us the posts table seemed to be the last one in the database (or at least the last vital one) so the users, thread titles and so on were all present.

Crack open your copy in a text editor (Notepad++ won't time out with giant files) and see if the end closes itself out nicely, or there's just an abrupt ending in the middle of an entry.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
If Grayson's copies aren't the corrupted ones I got, it wouldn't be hard to merge it all back in.

You'd have to import it to separate vBulletin installation, weed it down to just the lost threads and then import the remainder into Paranormalis. Users could be merged afterwards. Not hard, just... Time consuming.