How Should We Treat Time Travelers?

Chip Lewis

LOL I remember those. It's not an easy thing to please both sides. It comes down to what kind of site we were, what kind of site we are now and what kind of site Num wants to be. Having seen the change he's made I'm leaning towards the "more content, more craziness" end of the spectrum. It's fun.

I understand your point. However, being an individual is the spice of life. I hardly ever entered the "kid thread" because it's absurdity was off the charts...not my cup of tea. I love a good debate! Foul criticisms aside, I learned (as everyone does) a great deal from those debates. Two or more brains locked into a deep discussion is much more powerful and enlightening than any one man band will ever be. I say these claimants need to lean the term "touche" and use it when they know they've been pwned.

In the famous words of a woman I absolutely despise "I'ma be me"!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I don't totally understand how claims from a time traveler can deserve harsh comments and lack of respects. These people have the right to share don't they?

Brent made many very valid points here. I'v been trying to adjust the site's tone for more than a year now in suble ways on the long run. From what we can see regarding the Titor topic, free sharing from new members bringing in new ideas are indeed what Paranormalis needs in order to be active and happy.

We're indeed leaning that way to make sure new posters sharing wierd stuff feel comfortable doing so without concerns of being attacked or made fun of.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Agreed. It isn't so much that we believe anything these people post. It's a webmastering strategy to gain more content and in the long run, a more active site.

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Oi Cosmo! Was that me that you singled out back there?

LARFF!

I understand where Num and you are coming from. This site would be unsustainable if it simply pandered to the 30 minute wonders who professed to be from 3127 and talked existential gobbledygook. It would be even worse where there to be a policy of promoting that and not showing due regard for those people like me who have weathered every change in Administration this site has seen. Don't forget, I was Member number 11 originally and I've been here since before the Board originally went live. I don't know how I ended up member 109 or where my other 2,761 posts went though???

That said, I think the idea of dividing content on these claims is a good one. I don't think that they should be in seperate Categories or divided from what is the TT area of the Board. I do think that there should be a claim thread that any TT'er... or erm, Vampire can start at their will and that must only be a Q+A thread about their story. I think that once such a thread is started, our Admin should open an Analysis thread right next door. That's where we, the critics can debate the claim material. I think, should the new Claimant choose to join the Analysis thread, then they subscribe to being ripped a new arse if their claim doesn't stand criticism as they have chosen to enter the analysis thread. If they choose to remain in the Q+A thread where I promise that I would play nice, then they must not, should not be subject to critical analysis which doesn't address their tale in a positive fashion.

It could be difficult to Police, but wrong posts in the wrong thread can simply be moved with no need for Mod-queue. It would irritate me no end if a post I had made was waiting on someone vetting what I had to say. If you're going to sanction Thought-Police tactics, you will lose Members. I would subscribe to having a post Moved if it is incorrect in intent. I'd prefer it to be 'Unapproved' right where it was with a chance for me to edit it, or agree that it needed moving, but if it's clear, and I do mean crystal clear, what will and will not be accepted in a Q+A type thread, I won't post the wrong stuff where it shouldn't be anyway. Caveat Lector: I would wish a free run the analysis type thread though as I am sure many would.

I can play the game as well as any, I have done as far back as Antares in the old TTF.tk Board. The rules where clear then and Phoenix enforced them without fear nor favour. I don't tend to swear much in threads although I can be insulting in my own way, so clamping down on the use of expletives in a Q+A thread would be a given in this event. I think that an Analysis thread would be much more open to interpretation and reasoned objection from the Admin, or other Members, where expletives or insults appeared.

I understand what it is that you are trying to do. I understand the reasons for this. As a Member of long standing I do not wish to make this a difficult thing for you to achieve. I do want some measure of freedom to criticise what I may see as a most preposterous tale and I would like room to critically shred it if I wished to do so with any like minded Members. I will respect the sanctity of any main Q+A style thread that comes with a too-fantastic-to-believe story.

Your humble Savant: Grayson

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
@Grayson

I think that's an awesome take on the idea I put up; more fleshed out and is pretty much what I was going for. Forgive me my inarticulacies :p I've been on my polyphasic kick for over a week now LOL

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
@Grayson

I think that's an awesome take on the idea I put up; more fleshed out and is pretty much what I was going for. Forgive me my inarticulacies :p I've been on my polyphasic kick for over a week now LOL

Thou art forgiven your... inarticulacies? Is that a word?

You a TT'er? You're now inventing words as you go.

LARFF

kcwildman

Beastmaster
I don't totally understand how claims from a time traveler can deserve harsh comments and lack of respects. These people have the right to share don't they?

Brent made many very valid points here. I'v been trying to adjust the site's tone for more than a year now in suble ways on the long run. From what we can see regarding the Titor topic, free sharing from new members bringing in new ideas are indeed what Paranormalis needs in order to he active and happy.

We're indeed leaning that way to make sure new posters sharing wierd stuff feel comfortable doing so without concerns of being attacked or made fun of.

ok 7 I hear ya and I promise to play nice
but just for the record like Grayson said ,,,I too don't particularly like beeing taken for a fool/idiot or to stupid to smell a load of crap,, when its served up for digestion..

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm going to implement topic prefixes once Xenforo 1.1 is available. That way, we're able to create a "debunking.... this topic" kind of thread besides the actual thread in which discussion "requiring" debunking takes place.

I've been talking about this idea for 3-4 days with Brent and we came to agree on many things. I wasn't leaning towards the separate forums for both sides because it'd fragment the content even more. That's why the double topics idea fits the best in here. If one post doesn't fit in the original topic, I'll move it into the debunker's topic.

• Posters sharing their info will be able to share as much as they want with people who are interested to bring the discussion further, with no debunkers in the way.
  • Debunkers will be able to post their arguments without taking down the original topic. I'll moderate those comments like I do right now, or likely more than I do now, to make sure everything is fine on both sides of the discussion and no one takes other people down in flames.
That sound quite a lot like what I want Paranormalis to be: A place where everyone can share without concerns of being taken down or made fun of. I know my moderation fashions don't always obviously reflect that, but that's how I feel things should be.

P.S.: KC, I think you're doing all right buddy! ;)

DarbyII

I guess we all have a different agenda. I remember "frog"...if the kid told frog to wear his underwear on his head walk backwards and sing "Supercalifragalisticexpialidosious" he would and it would be the result of the rainbow painting.

Chip,

With "frog" that part is sad enough. But it was actually worse. If The Kid or anyone else offered to sell him a gadget like the HDR for $375 he'd be saving his rent money to buy the damned thing. More than once I had to "take him aside" in PM on Anomalies or TTI and suggest that he maybe talk it over with his parents or his brother Aaron before spending his rent on a POS gadget.