How to Prepare for your Hoax

August

Although the title of this thread might seem humorous, I am dead serious.

My ideas regarding the creation of a proper hoax are twofold: First, the hoaxers who visit us--and I am sure one is born each minute--will at least give us a better challenge. Second, both the believers and the non-believers will help me create a yardstick to measure both the real timetravelers and the hoaxers.

And I welcome real time travelers to contribute to my ideas and others to increase the value of this user's guide.

Dear future hoaxers,

So you have decided to create a hoax, have you? Excellent. For some reason unknown to us you have decided to lie to strangers on the internet. This community finds this behavior reprehensible, but we are glad you are not wasting your money on real therapy. Please spend this saved money wisely.

The following guidelines will help you create a wonderful lie for all to behold.

1. Prepare yourself emotionally. This will be a difficult ride for you. Many people will not believe you, and even those that do believe you will exhaust you emotionally. Put all "real" relationships on hold as they will deteriorate from your utter lack of emotional stamina during the hoax.

2. Prepare your story to the absolute end. You will eventually want to disappear from this community as you will "return" to your time. Make sure you have all the facts of your character readily available. Biography. Family. Music tastes.

3. Study physics and math at least a little. Let's face it: a Jet pilot and a Firefighter both know at least a little bit about the science behind their jobs. Know just a little bit about yours.

4. Study history, sociology, and politics in full. You cannot "predict" the future for us if you know nothing of the past. Understand as best you can "how things happen" in societies and political systems. Many hoaxers underestimate this part of preparation and it quickly undoes them.

5. Use basic English. Don't make language an issue during the hoax. There are many more language and communication majors on university campuses than there are physics majors. And that statistic transfers to this forum: don't find yourself locked in debate with 10 language students when you can limit yourself to one physics student.

6. Do not want to be believed. This is a dead giveaway. Do not even mention it unless someone proclaims their disbelief to you. Pretend that belief of your compatriots in the forum is the last thing on the planet. You just are here. You are a timetraveler: you need to prove nothing.

7. Pretend you are a tough guy (or gal). Do not pretend you are anything else other than a tough guy with the right stuff. Now this is based on the supposition that the only time travellers visiting us will be professionals--I can't imagine a future with civilians taking holiday trips to the past. That said, we don't need you to be military but at least disciplined as such. And cold nerves. Have you ever listened to the voice of a professional pilot solving big problems while in the air? Azimov's Andrew Harlan is a good example.

8. Know your motivations thoroughly. The only thing you are going to get from this community is interesting social time in the safety of the internet. Anything else is better gotten in person. Think about what gets a time traveler out of bed in the morning. Don't start the hoax until you know this fully.

9. Make photos of equipment readily available. I know how frustrating actually constructing the props will be. But it is necessary and a fair request from this community. John Titor basically said, "Hi, I am from the future. Would you like to see pictures of my machine and parts of the manual?" and you must live with this fact. Pictures must be a part of it.

10. Kiss your free time goodbye. Assuming you are one of the down-trodden workers or students in our society (only such accompanying pain would make you want to lie to strangers), you have limited free time after an 8 to 10 hour workday. (If you have a trust fund, why aren't you skiing in Aspen?) So you must answer questions in your free time and let me tell you there will be a lot of questions. So put the remote down, make a sandwich and some good strong coffee, and slide up to the computer desk.

After reading these, you may decide that it is too much work. And I agree with you. Will the thrill of having strangers believe you are someone that you are not solve the problems you are facing? Will it make the pain go away? Probably not.

If you still want to go through with the hoax, and have some concerns over one or more of these guidelines, feel free to PM me. And I will give you my focused attention.

To the Mods and Admins: I thought this was the best place to start this thread. I defer to your judgement.

sosuemetoo

/a applies Mom's stamp of approval

Great Post August, I love it!

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

You've just earned yourself a "Pin"! Nicely done.

CaryP

Great post August. Let's see if some of these hoaxers will take your advice.

Cary

Timescholar

Here's one more -

- Memorize/study a timeline like JT's. That way, you can deviate slightly, and blame the divergence factor. (Read up on Maxwell and Alexander).

Almost forgot - And state atleast one major detail that didn't happen in this timeline. That makes the divergence "look" more 'believable'. Discuss the differences. Sliders was a popular show for awhile for that reason.

- Being from within 100 years helps with a supposed and assumed language barrier that will be asked, especially if you claim to be 500 years from the future.

lev

::.. Gosh! Thats Titor all the way!! :: Especially #5 :: Great post! ..::

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

August, everyone once in a while, someone comes along and surprises me with the sheer depth and bredth of their combined wit, humour and intellect. Today, this month, this year in fact, it has been you. I knew that you were sharp, humourous and intelligent, but this is both beautiful and staggering in its employment and blend of these fine elements.

My hat is off to you Sir.

Cary! Give this man a ceegar.

Son of a ditch-digger my arse! :lol:

Timescholar

I edited mine a bit to toss in some minor details, like explaining away divergences, and language.