How to Prepare for your Hoax

Judge Bean

Once again we have cut to the root of the problem, this time via a Swiftian satire. But do we seriously anticipate an endless round of debunked claimants, some to limp back and rejoin the column as chastened walking wounded?

Not a peep from Padraic; not a single mooning yelp from Coyote. If anyone remembers the most extravagant hoaxter, Boris from the other forum, it should be obvious to him what happens when one is encouraged to spin the yarn out into other dimensions and timelines; eventually, even the hoaxter himself can't remember the line between his fiction and reality.

For those who weren't there: Boris claimed to have been from 2,000 years in the future, and another planet, and came to Florida and to us on a device using his voicebox as an engine. He based his story on a novel he wrote, which according to when you talked to him, was either based on a true story or was the story itself. Many, many members of the other board apparently believed him, including the managing staff.

Eventually, his thread had to be restarted because of the amount of attention he received, and it all finally toppled from its own weight. It seems that the final judgment on him was that he was making it all up (what a revelation!) but that he meant well and spread a good "message" of love and goodwill.

The reason I bring this up is that this is what you will get sooner or later if you encourage these characters: a huge, grotesque, fantastic hoax, that can take over the board-- that, at the very least, can absorb the attentions of many members.

The "game" that many seem to enjoy is probably now pretty much exhausted. Only someone with no familiarity with the site would try to foist another future-boy tall tale on us; in fact, he would gain immediate credibility just by virtue of the fact that he would be brash enough to try it after so many have fallen. It would make him look rather innocent-- which is what August's protocols recommend, I think.

Ralan

Once again we have cut to the root of the problem

Thank the Lord!

Here's a few things that I learned while "time travelling" that may aid hoaxers in their fine art.

1. Speak good English, but have a very good explanation of how you can speak good English. If you want to spend more time on the hoax, sketch out the language of your culture or time. Having a language is useful for several reasons:

- You have a basis for certain excuses that you may otherwise have had trouble passing, depending on how good the language is.
- People are interested in languages, and people are more inclined to believe something if they like it. Again, you have to make sure the language is very believable.

Research the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, study the International Phonetics Alphabet; redesign the IPA for great believability; that is one of the things I wish I had done with Apatian. Here is an example of a well built fictional language called nonary Marain; http://homepages.compuserve.de/Mostral/art...kel/marain.html.

2. Make sure you are at a point in your hoax while posting here where you have been living in our culture for several years. This will help avoid the problem of the cultural signs you will give off in your posts. It is virtually impossible to entirely simulate a foreign culture.

3. Come from the future. If you come from the past we can prove you wrong. The single wordline theory is also the best to work on; parallell universe jumps etcetera never go anywhere; you will run into a dead end. Take our 'time traveller' Chris for example.

More to be added.

Ralan

The reason I bring this up is that this is what you will get sooner or later if you encourage these characters: a huge, grotesque, fantastic hoax, that can take over the board-- that, at the very least, can absorb the attentions of many members.

Great, bring it on.

Hehe.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by Ralan@Nov 27 2004, 01:53 AM

Great, bring it on.

Hehe.

The words of one who has just eaten a box of crayons instead of his supper.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

Wait, is Ralan the one who did the Aima Telia hoax? The one where they mentioned not knowing what crayons were and eating them? LOL

Jovial_Kitten

No no, he did a hoax back on gavin's board. I wasn't actually around for it but the name was Urno_alan_ralan or something.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by Jovial_Kitten@Nov 29 2004, 05:23 AM
No no, he did a hoax back on gavin's board. I wasn't actually around for it but the name was Urno_alan_ralan or something.

And certainly you recall Boris, so you know what I'm referring to when I say that if you invite a hoax, welcome a hoax into your home, set it up by the fire with a cup of hot cocoa and urge it to tell its story, it will thereafter never leave.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I, was (un?)fortunately not around for Boris. I showed up around the time Peragro had started his story, and lurked there for quite a while until near the very end.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by TheHeggy@Nov 29 2004, 04:42 PM
I, was (un?)fortunately not around for Boris. I showed up around the time Peragro had started his story, and lurked there for quite a while until near the very end.

Actually, I don't think there's a whole lot we can learn from the old board: it was a free-for-all full of gone bygones.

But sometimes I wake up in a cold sweat from a particular hideous dream in which, having missed every class session, I must nevertheless take a final exam in German; but I have to take the test naked, and while falling from a precipice for some reason. Just before impact in the floor of the gorge (which is always in view of Ship Rock, at Four Corners), I realize that Boris will still be alive spreading his B.S. in Paris-- which is, after all, not all that far from civilization, no matter what you suppose.

This horrid lastminute epiphany always wakes me up in the nick of time.

Sometimes it doesn't take much to keep you alive in extremity.

StarLord

Thats bad, but not as bad as missing all that time and then having to take a test in Latin regarding the Gallic Wars. I wonder if naked dreams are cyclic and in sync with the seasons?